Used 2009 Ford Flex Wagon Consumer Reviews - 182 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Flex Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Flex Wagon

View reviews for a specific Flex model:

We love our Flex!!
By A. Ekstrom

2009 Ford Flex Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We were about to have our third boy and I did not want a minivan, thankfully we found the Flex! We absolutely love it!! It has so much room, the two big boys love their spots in the third row, they have their own cup holders and compartments! The second row has about 47 inches of leg room, sometimes I'll sit back there just because. I love the front heated seats, even living in Arizona I use them all the time. We love the look of it, ours is all black with black leather inside. Next time we buy one I want two colors, I'm think red and black. We also love the navigation system and back up camera, the boys call it the Flex's iPad. It's easy to use and navigate and all buttons and such are perfect.
The few cons: We received a new big sit and stand stroller after the baby was born and it doesn't fit just in the back. We have to move one of the boys to the second row by the baby, flip down one side of the third row and put it there. Our Flex had almost 100,000 miles on it when we bought it and it was beautiful inside and out, the only it's started doing is hesitating when shifting at slower speeds. After looking this up it seems to be a common problem.
Overall we will definitely be buying another Flex, we love how comfy it it, how it looks, the technology and that it's unique!!

WORST CAR I EVER OWNED!!!
By Tim Chouinard

2009 Ford Flex Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have been buying Fords for quite some time now but I have to say this car has completely turned me off to Ford. I bought the car as a 2 year old lease return. THANK GOD, I had the sense to get the extended warranty. I paid an additional $2,000 for it and it has literally paid for itself 4 times. I have had to replace practically every component of the underbody of the car
Bearings, Springs, steering column (twice), Tie Rods, both tail light housings at $550 apiece (not covered under the warranty), heat stopped working on passenger side. The list goes on. And the car doesn't even have 100,000 miles on it.
I am literally picking it up at the dealership tomorrow and it is going right to another dealership where I am trading it in for a Grand Caravan.
GOOD BYE!!!!!! Don't buy this car!!!!!!!

Very dissapointed
By Chris

2009 Ford Flex Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Where do I start, mmmmmm. All 4 wheel bearings went bad before 90,0000. Sunroof was designed to let water in, I think. Well it had to be as bad as it leaks. Fans don't work so car overheated. Stereo would not work from steering wheel controls. Gas gauge goes from 3/4 full to empty in a second and then the car died, TWICE. The good news about that is that it only happens when it is 20 below or colder, so it has that going for it.
Seriously. I have worked in the car industry for twenty years and I have owned many cars and this truly is the most disappointing car we have ever owned. I wanted to support Ford after they refused the bailout money. Unfortunately I will be going back to a Honda or Toyota. In my experience, these companies have given me the best value for my money. Simple as that!
Back to sarcasm: All 4 wheel bearings out before 90k, really? Ford knew they were bad during testing, they had to know. So I assume they treated it as a profit center and said the heck with the buyer. Well, two can play that game, so the Heck with Ford!

Quality is just not there!
By cdnmominaz

2009 Ford Flex Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I HATE HATE HATE to say it but the title reads true! My father retired with Ford and our family has a LONG history of buying/owning Ford vehicles! BUT this one missed the mark.

It is a 2009, I get it, things will go wrong....but I wasn't anticipating all the issues we've had thus far. Here we go:

1. Clear coat began peeling. (Almost immediately after bringing it home to AZ, coincidentally just a year or so after the paint warranty expired!) Looks like an old, beat up junker now! EW!

2. Ball bearing issue. (Umm, yes my tire was dangerously loose and that is totally unacceptable)

3. The door handles continue to fall off (yes, these cheap, junkie, chrome wanna-be come right off!)

I think I love how the whole thing is slowly falling apart before our eyes, the terrible quality and of course I love that the leather interior is slowly coming apart (even with proper maintenance!)

ummmm.... well, it would be nice if Ford fixed the paint, the ball bearing issue, the door handle? Maybe make it out of real material? (It's so cheap feeling it feels like it could be my 2 years old son's toy!) I'm sad to say, after growing surrounded by Ford hater but always believing in Ford because my dad and family did....I've finally come to realize why Ford is hated by many.... sorry Ford when it comes time to buy our next vehicle I don't think I could convince myself or my husband to buy a Ford again. We're breaking up, it's YOU not me!

No Support From Ford
By swaldron

2009 Ford Flex Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased this new in 2009 and overall have been please with the vehicle.
However, I had to rate build quality and reliability low here due to the following:
at about 30K (warranty) it needed a new front hub & bearing; at 44K it then needed a right rear caliper ($500). We were very disappointed that the dealer would not contact Ford about what they could do about the caliper (I currently also have 2 GM vehicles with well over 100K miles on them with original hubs and calipers!).
The dealer had the nerve to tell me that he had a concern about using aftermarket calipers... I just looked at him and said "really, right now I have to pay $500 to fix a Ford OEM caliper!"
Going back to GM!

Very comfortable and well designed interior. Great driving... what a Lincoln station wagon would be like!

Have Ford stand behind their brake problems with these vehicles... this could have been a very dangerous situation!