Used 2009 Ford Flex Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Flex - Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Flex Wagon

View reviews for a specific Flex model:

Quality is just not there!
By cdnmominaz

2009 Ford Flex Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I HATE HATE HATE to say it but the title reads true! My father retired with Ford and our family has a LONG history of buying/owning Ford vehicles! BUT this one missed the mark. It is a 2009, I get it, things will go wrong....but I wasn't anticipating all the issues we've had thus far. Here we go: 1. Clear coat began peeling. (Almost immediately after bringing it home to AZ, coincidentally just a year or so after the paint warranty expired!) Looks like an old, beat up junker now! EW! 2. Ball bearing issue. (Umm, yes my tire was dangerously loose and that is totally unacceptable) 3. The door handles continue to fall off (yes, these cheap, junkie, chrome wanna-be come right off!)

Favorite Features

I think I love how the whole thing is slowly falling apart before our eyes, the terrible quality and of course I love that the leather interior is slowly coming apart (even with proper maintenance!)

Suggested Improvements

ummmm.... well, it would be nice if Ford fixed the paint, the ball bearing issue, the door handle? Maybe make it out of real material? (It's so cheap feeling it feels like it could be my 2 years old son's toy!) I'm sad to say, after growing surrounded by Ford hater but always believing in Ford because my dad and family did....I've finally come to realize why Ford is hated by many.... sorry Ford when it comes time to buy our next vehicle I don't think I could convince myself or my husband to buy a Ford again. We're breaking up, it's YOU not me!

No Support From Ford
By swaldron

2009 Ford Flex Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased this new in 2009 and overall have been please with the vehicle. However, I had to rate build quality and reliability low here due to the following: at about 30K (warranty) it needed a new front hub & bearing; at 44K it then needed a right rear caliper ($500). We were very disappointed that the dealer would not contact Ford about what they could do about the caliper (I currently also have 2 GM vehicles with well over 100K miles on them with original hubs and calipers!). The dealer had the nerve to tell me that he had a concern about using aftermarket calipers... I just looked at him and said "really, right now I have to pay $500 to fix a Ford OEM caliper!" Going back to GM!

Favorite Features

Very comfortable and well designed interior. Great driving... what a Lincoln station wagon would be like!

Suggested Improvements

Have Ford stand behind their brake problems with these vehicles... this could have been a very dangerous situation!

0 Miles to "E" with a 1/4 tank
By designqueen83

2009 Ford Flex Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my Flex since August of 2010. I have put on 78k miles total. With in the first winter I had 1/4 of a tank of gas and the reader told me there were 60 miles to E. I was in good shape to get to work then get gas at lunch. My car dinged, read 0 miles to E and then shut down. This has happened a few times since and the dealership can't pin point the problem. They have even made it die the same way too (b/c they didn't believe me). Now I am left with a solution of don't drive it under 1/4 tank and don't get down to 90 miles to E. Seriously? Is anyone else having this problem? I am the second owner and the first time it happened was at 30k. Senders have been replaced and other parts.

Favorite Features

Ok I have to say I LOVE my Flex. I love that we could all fit and have room. I loved that my best friend, 2 her kids, daughter and our 2 sisters could all fit in this car for rides and outings. It has a smooth ride and would be perfect to take camping and use as a bed with an air mattress. Seriously hate to give up this car but going to have to. Due to problems and gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Make the fuel problems stop!!!

Sticker shock
By surfredski

2009 Ford Flex Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

In general my 2009 Ford Flex has been a very enjoyable car, I've almost 50,000 miles on it other than the center console latch breaking in the first year it's been a good car. Last month I had noticed two of the panels between the doors was loose. These are about the size of a bumper sticker and run vertically between the doors. The dealer said it would be $198 for each panel. Last week one of them flew off the car and I realized they are basically stickers. The plastic panels are held on with foam tape whose glue is now failing. I can't believe Ford is charging $198 for what are glorified stickers! My car was always hand washed, garaged and Seattle is a mild climate. Anyone else see this

Favorite Features

Love the comfort and ride of the Flex. The interior is nicely done, some with not so durable materials however. The mid console latch is weak plastic and a joke.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior panels on cars should not be stickers that give way and fly off the car. Seal the doors where they meet the body. Too much dirt gets in the door jambs.

Ford Does Not Support
By jstaples15

2009 Ford Flex Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have a 2009 Ford Flex that was involved in an accident with a deer. According to the repair shop, there is a necessary part that is needed on the vehicle, P/N 8A8Z16138A, that is not in production and not available anywhere in the US. I contacted Ford Motor Co. several times and they have informed me that they have no planned date for production, due to tooling issues. Their stand on the issue is that it is not their problem. I have exhausted all contacts and Ford has no answer when my car may be drivable again.

Suggested Improvements

Support this vehicle with Parts. Love the car, but I would not buy it now if I knew what I know now.