2009 Ford Flex - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Flex model:
No Support From Ford
By swaldron on 07/06/13 12:05 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Flex SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased this new in 2009 and overall have been please with the vehicle. However, I had to rate build quality and reliability low here due to the following: at about 30K (warranty) it needed a new front hub & bearing; at 44K it then needed a right rear caliper ($500). We were very disappointed that the dealer would not contact Ford about what they could do about the caliper (I currently also have 2 GM vehicles with well over 100K miles on them with original hubs and calipers!). The dealer had the nerve to tell me that he had a concern about using aftermarket calipers... I just looked at him and said "really, right now I have to pay $500 to fix a Ford OEM caliper!" Going back to GM!

0 Miles to "E" with a 1/4 tank
By designqueen83 on 03/22/13 10:28 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Flex SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my Flex since August of 2010. I have put on 78k miles total. With in the first winter I had 1/4 of a tank of gas and the reader told me there were 60 miles to E. I was in good shape to get to work then get gas at lunch. My car dinged, read 0 miles to E and then shut down. This has happened a few times since and the dealership can't pin point the problem. They have even made it die the same way too (b/c they didn't believe me). Now I am left with a solution of don't drive it under 1/4 tank and don't get down to 90 miles to E. Seriously? Is anyone else having this problem? I am the second owner and the first time it happened was at 30k. Senders have been replaced and other parts.

Sticker shock
By surfredski on 03/08/13 16:15 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Flex Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

In general my 2009 Ford Flex has been a very enjoyable car, I've almost 50,000 miles on it other than the center console latch breaking in the first year it's been a good car. Last month I had noticed two of the panels between the doors was loose. These are about the size of a bumper sticker and run vertically between the doors. The dealer said it would be $198 for each panel. Last week one of them flew off the car and I realized they are basically stickers. The plastic panels are held on with foam tape whose glue is now failing. I can't believe Ford is charging $198 for what are glorified stickers! My car was always hand washed, garaged and Seattle is a mild climate. Anyone else see this

Ford Does Not Support
By jstaples15 on 12/28/12 17:15 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Flex Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have a 2009 Ford Flex that was involved in an accident with a deer. According to the repair shop, there is a necessary part that is needed on the vehicle, P/N 8A8Z16138A, that is not in production and not available anywhere in the US. I contacted Ford Motor Co. several times and they have informed me that they have no planned date for production, due to tooling issues. Their stand on the issue is that it is not their problem. I have exhausted all contacts and Ford has no answer when my car may be drivable again.

Overall, Hunk of Junk!
By kelsey_b19 on 04/21/12 11:16 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Flex Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My husband and I have had nothing but problems since we got our flex. What's worse is the countless number of times we have to take it in to the dealer. They do not acknowledge the fact that this car should be considered a lemon. It has a foul smell coming from the ac/heater, the brakes grind and pulsate when you apply pressure, the interior has a constant rattling sound, the front console latch broke off within one month of buying it, the cheap plastic air vent covers fell off within 6 months of buying the vehicle, and the transmission grinds, jerks, pops, and seizes up often. We bought it from ken grody ford in carlsbad, ca and they sold it to us with electrical problems in the headrest!

2009 Flex Brake problems
By bassguy on 02/17/12 10:15 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Flex SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I was happy with the ride and feel until I hit 20K, and noticed a momentary grinding when I applied the brakes. Sometimes a gaslike smell was noticed after breaking. Quite a bit of black dust seemed to accumulate on the two rear wheels. At 25K a periodic squeal was noticed but the Ford dealer inspected and said the brakes were "good". At 29.5K the brakes made a grinding sound and were visably scored (rear left). My Ford Dealer said that "it wasn't a Ford problem because he didn't have a service bulletin that dealt with this problem!". Rather than have him repair with duplicate Ford parts, I took the car to a Goodrich dealer for new rear rotors and new upgraded pads.

POS
By btcadams on 12/19/11 13:49 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Flex Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My wife and I drove numerous cars before deciding to purchase our 1st and last Ford vehicle. At first it seemed to be the answer to all of our needs. We purchased this car new in NOV 08. Within 6mnths,we had to take the car in to have the "sync" systems wiring harness replaced 4 times and the touch screen once! Within 16k miles (2 years) we had to replace the front rotors and brakes. And now just 11 months and 10k miles later, we now need to replace the front rotors again, the rear brakes and the rear rotors! Ford Corporate was of no help for this non-warranty item stating "normal/routine maintenance". Not to mention the horrible screeching sound that comes from the brakes, also "normal"

Love the ride but the brakes...
By lynnderlou on 11/17/11 09:21 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Flex SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have 52k on the car and the rear brakes are having to be worked on again. They are telling me that it is the "elements", if Michigan driving is a problem for the brakes on this car they may have a few problems to work out! The rear parking sensor has stopped working, and is not covered under warranty, too many blind spots for this short girl to try and navigate blindly!Love the ride and comfort of the car but i think i will have to move on from my first and probably last ford vehicle.

09 Ltd had it 1 1/2 yrs; starting to act like a lemon
By gelene on 07/23/11 09:22 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Flex Limited 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

i LOVE this car's comfort, style, buttons & cup holders where you need them.. ford always does a great job w/ that.. BUT UNDER THE HOOD.. not so much.. :( after the last 2 fords (tauras & CV) i SWORE no more.. but loved the flex.. however its true colors are showing.. @25K already needed new tires, @30K newed brake & lifetime rotors replaced!?? 46K a/c is going out..WHAT?!! let me stress..we take it to the dealer & don't drive our cars hard, get regular oil changes, rotations, etc. my toyota scion has 100K & only needed 1 set of tires & brakes @50K.. and NEVER needed anything else NOTHING!!! come on ford america, we can do better!

Loved it and now would like it to stay out of the shop....
By stew2730 on 04/23/11 17:52 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Flex SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Totally disappointed, I have previously posted two very flattering reviews of this car and now need to retract those as well as apologize to all who stopped me and asked me about this car. Have had my Flex for 2 1/2 years and have put 45k miles on it. About 10 days ago it began running hot, ended up being in the shop for almost 9 days. Have had the car back for 8 days and it started running hot in traffic on our way to dinner tonight. We had to park the car and hope it will still be there Monday so we can have it towed to yet another dealership! Going back to a Japanese car after this!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Flex in VA is:

$131 per month*