Used 2007 Ford Five Hundred SEL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Five Hundred model:

Ford 500
By Matt B

2007 Ford Five Hundred SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased a 07 Ford 500 back in June 2007. Things have been going ok until Christmas of last year when on vecation car died while driving using cruise control. After this died 3-4 times for the same reason but then only by adjusting speed by cruise controls. After that abnormal wear on back rotors and break pads. Now after 80.000 miles the transmissions seems to starts slipping when go beyond first gear. Car is still at the shop so we will see when they finish with the diagnostics.

Suggested Improvements

Ford need to give better powertrain warranty like 100.000 miles or 120.000 miles and longer bumper to bumper warranty.

Sold cars for 18 years and love the 500
By retired dealer

2007 Ford Five Hundred SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I am thrilled with the dependability, comfort, safety, and storage capacity of this vehicle. The present mileage is at 51,000 and have had no problems. Braking system is excellent, Needed new pads at 40K with no other parts needed. I use Mobil 1 for oil changes and the car runs excellent. I recently drove another ford 500 with 12,000 miles and found no noticeable difference in the drive of my vehicle. The only issue is that I am 6'4'' and the leg room could be about 3" longer for my left leg. I can live with this because many of the vehicles that I've sold over the years would be non dependable and I would be walking rather than driving. Average mpg is 23.6 since car was new. WOW. LOVE IT.

Favorite Features

Great ride, corners excellently, dependable, Roomy, great rear passenger room, easy entering and exiting even if you have severe arthritis in your knees,( not like the poor design of Impala ), many extras, great leather seats, great design and looks, maintains alignment and great MPG

Suggested Improvements

Leg room for tall people in drivers compartment. Needs about 3" more. Needs light in glove compartment. Other than listed - WOW.

Great Car - Very Underrated
By Jerry

2007 Ford Five Hundred SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have had three Honda Accords. I decided to buy a used Ford 500 versus the new 2008 Accord based upon value. This car is great. It drives well and has lots of room - lots of compliments from riders about the room. My family enjoys the car, too. Safety ratings were a big reason for purchasing as well. Fuel economy has been very good. Consistently 20-21 in town. On the highway between 29 and 32 (I did get 32.5 on one trip). Overall, this is a great car. Although many in the press have not given favorable responses, many owners like me seem to think this is a highly underrated car - a diamond in the rough. SEL package is nicely equipped. Great A/C system in hot climate.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, stick-to-the-road feel of the ride, fuel economy, roominess, trunk capacity

Suggested Improvements

Slightly higher power at low speeds. Cupholder for center occupant in rear seat.

Nice Family Vehicle
By hageman6

2007 Ford Five Hundred SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have had this vehicle for a few months and I have been very happy with the performance. I know people keep knocking the lack of power, but really the overall power and passing power has been satisfactory for me. I must admit we are a family that had minivans due to the kids, but I am happy with the performance and comfort of this vehcile and there is plenty of room for the family.

Favorite Features

Rear sensor and adjustable pedals. Also the wide open views. Overall gas mileage has been very good right at 30 MPG highway and 22-23 city, great for a car of this size.

Suggested Improvements

I would prefer just a little firmer suspension. The 07 needs some door guards to help prevent door dings.

I'm glad I didn't pay for this
By Kris

2007 Ford Five Hundred SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I am an insurance adjuster and this is my company car and I drive it hard. I currently have about 67000 miles on it and have had numerous problems with it mechanically. At 30K the trans began shifting hard, took it to the dealer and had the throttlebody replaced. At 50K the steering was loose and was pulling hard, had the left lower ball joint (which only came with the control arm) and the steering gear replaced. At 65K the same trans problem and they again replaced the throttlebody. Another adjuster has had similar problems with the steering/suspension. Also, 3.0 is not that powerful. You might have better luck as an everyday commuter instead of a workhorse like me.

Favorite Features

Interior is very nice and spacious, decent mileage. I actually like the styling, especially compared to the previous Taurus's

Suggested Improvements

I'm curious how the 08's fare with the bigger engine and dumped the variable speed transmission..