2007 Ford Five Hundred SEL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

190,000
By bergie44

2007 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have a 2007 Five-Hundred SEL, with 190,000 miles on it. It runs great, and did not have any major problems. Did normal tune-up, replaced brake pads about every 50,000 miles. Replaces Uni-Royals about every 70,000 miles. Great, great car.

Favorite Features

Like the ride and comfort. Great gas millage, reliability superb.

Big Blue
By richy07

2007 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased mine with 20K miles, big blue now has 110K. I've replaced the battery, frt brakes, rear brakes twice, rear rotors and tires. I previously drove a 2 dr buick regal that I LOVED for 14yrs. I never liked 4dr vehicles but the regal & monte carlo were out of circulation, I was forced into one. It was hard to get used to it, (didn't 'go' like the regal!), hydroplaning but the new tires stopped that. It's been 6 yrs and this has been an extremely comfortable, dependable, efficient vehicle I have grown to appreciate. I wouldn't say it's "fun to drive". The only maintenance I do is oil change/tire rotation every 5000-6000 miles, waste of money before 5k. I get 25-27 mpg.

Favorite Features

I love the combination door entry and the moonroof. The fold down seats are awesome, along with the large trunk I can transport large items like a recliner, 8ft folding tables, even a dresser. The dual a/c control is great. The car is really roomy and comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Cloth seats, key entry for trunk, I've yet to find the "mp3" port, better grade carpet, side molding to protect exterior from car dings, more power.

LOVE THIS CAR!!!!
By rainibow

2007 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car with 100,000 miles on it. I have since only replaced the rear brakes and it is due for new spark plugs and wires, but nothing major. The only complaint I have is that my traction control light comes on randomly and I can not figure out what is wrong. That is a bummer, but nothing too bad. I drive 100 miles a day for work and this car makes it tolerable. It is very comfortable and reliable. It doesn't get the best mpg, but the comfort makes up for that. I have 2 teenagers and they say they have tons of room in the back. It is now at 130,000 miles and I am hoping it will survive a few more years!!! I would recommend this car!!

Favorite Features

Comfort, comfort, comfort!!!

Love the Car!
By bayliner2255

2007 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the car 3 years ago with 40k miles and now have 82k miles and I want another one! With mix driving i get 28.6mpg and thats with my own math! It gets up moves when i want it too and i love the sound of the v6 in it! Very comfortable car to take on road trips! I love the exterior styling of the car! Everytime i look at the car I fall back in love! I do think they could have done a little more on the dash to make it more stylish but i still think the dash is very nice and user friendly! I do recommend this car to anyone and everyone. Good on fuel, stylish, and fun to drive!

Favorite Features

The exterior styling

Suggested Improvements

I wish they would have offered a v8 or something more in it!

WAY UNDER RATED
By scotsman5

2007 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My 2007 I bought new. The only thing that we replaced is a altenator and battery once and the normal brakes, tires, filters, tuneups. This car still drives and rides like the day we bought it. The car has 182,488k miles. I'd buy a new one but ford no longer builds them. Ready to buy another with 37k miles. Love these cars.

Its a great car!
By gibson63

2007 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have a 2007 SEL that I love! It is so comfortable for myself who is 6'2", I really like the stadium style seating, to sit higher is so much more like sitting in a chair. The back leg room is amazing and so is the trunk space, then to have the back seats drop down even more space. It is very deceiving from the outside, it does not look that roomy until you get inside. I like the style of the car, I do not get the "boring" label given to it. The issue of power, I have not felt it be a problem, I drive in the Bay area and if I can make it there anyone else should be able to. I did have the brakes replaced by Ford during an oil change they suggested it and was covered by them at 24K.

Favorite Features

Great amount of room in the cabin and trunk. Lots of cup holders and storage on doors. Great driver visability. A real value to buy a used one with lots of options and get a well built car at a lot less than new cars out there, I have seen some with less than 30k with all the options for $10 to $15 thousand. Nice color choices.

Wouldn't Buy One if I were you......
By jbrkmo

2007 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We bought our Ford 500 used at 55,000 miles and have had problems with it ever since. It lopes when you're driving at low speeds (especially when the A/C is on). The transmission shifts hard, slips, and is now making loud "clunking" noises. We were told that this CVT transmission was supposed to shift smoothly like you couldn't even feel it.....yea right.....It might shift a little smoother than a dumptruck. We have an extended warranty, but now we're having trouble even finding anyone who will work on these transmissions in the third-largest city of our state. The rubber around the gear shift is now bunching up making it hard to even put in drive, then it slips out of drive while moving.

Favorite Features

Large trunk, Roomy interior....everything else is average or way below average. There's a reason why they changed the name back to "Taurus" and it's not because nobody knew what the Ford 500 was (like we were told). It's because everyone was starting to find out they were junk.

Suggested Improvements

Everything but the roomy interior and large trunk.

not getting rid of it
By jadebudan

2007 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We just got 14 inches of snow and i decided that i might want something with four wheel drive. i found a jeep and went to read the reviews on it.. they were mostly very bad! so i figured i would read the reviews on my car and they were amazing which made me realize that i do have a great car. i only had a weird electrical problem with my dash that hasnt happened after it happen that once ( all the gages wouldnt move and then were jumping up and down while i was driving.. did this happen to anyone else??). I am very glad that i got this wonderful car and im definitley not trading it in anytime soon!

Love it, Love it, Love It!
By George Hargreaves

2007 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the car in June 07 with 24,000 km on it. Great in the winter since we added a set of Michelin X-Ice tires. We live on the Canadian prairies and this is the most comfortable vehicle we have ever owned. Good power, lots of head & leg room. Huge trunk. Just finished an 8,000 km drive to the Atlantic provinces and U.S. east coast and very enjoyable drive. Great gas mileage. Looking forward to more trips. Rear brakes replaced by Ford after 40,000 km. Car now has 75,000 km and runs fine. My wife loves the light green color so I hope Ford brings this color back in a few years.

Favorite Features

On board computer, radio controls on the steering wheel, large trunk, lots of interior room, auto headlights, auto dimming rear view mirror

Suggested Improvements

None - don't mess with perfection!

Could be better
By vocomchris

2007 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Everything about this car yells Granpa or Granma. The truth is it has every safety feature out there that you want for your kids. That is why I got one. The problem is design flaws that allow for road trash to rip the fuel line off the bottom of the car. This happened to me. Some other annoying things are that it tends to accelerate while at a complete stop. It is akin to the Toyota problem. Then there are the brakes that don't seem to last more than 15k miles. I find the car has potential but just shy of four years the problems are starting to come out of hiding. It has soured me to Ford.

Favorite Features

The roominess inside and the trunk space make this a great car for me. You can take the grill to the beach and still fit the cooler inside as well as five passengers. Don't forget the boogie boards and chairs. They fit too.

Suggested Improvements

Ford has already redesigned the car and they increased the ground clearance. That should take care of the rocks that bounce up and take out the fuel filter. Hopefully the taillights have gone to led. My bulbs keep burning out and that is very annoying.