TRANSMISSION IS WACK
By condrabo on
2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)
Ford has had major problems with the transmissions in the 2005-2006 Ford 500's. The transmissions go out with as little as 30,000 miles on the vehicle. My car is no exception to the transmission issues. The car will "buck and jump" when passing or when slowing below 40 mph. I contacted Ford and their response was since the NHTSA hasn't forced a recall, there is nothing they can do to assist with the problem. Instead of being proactive, I suppose Ford will just wait until enough people have had their fill of problems and file class action lawsuits.
Favorite Features
The car is roomy and comfortable, that is the only great thing about it.
Suggested Improvements
Replace the transmissions with a more reliable, and newly designed model.
By kdwyer33
on 11/16/11 14:35 PM (PST)

Bought a 2006 Ford 500 in 1/2011 from Galpin Ford in AZ. It is a complete LEMON!!! By August we had to replace the breaks, transmission, a/c compressor and now it appears we are looking at needing a new throttle body!!! I will NEVER buy a Ford again... I owe $8,000 (loan) on this car.... the repairs totaled more than the value of the car!!! Did I mention when we bought the car we were told that the noise from the engine was normal because it was a fuel efficient engine.... turns out it was the transmission!!! Then they sat back and laughed at me.... they said there is no lemon law for used cars... I hate Ford!!!

By bucho29
on 01/20/12 14:50 PM (PST)

I am having the same problems with my car. The transmission is slipping and having hiccups as go below 40. This is not acceptable because the car is not even 6 years old yet. There ought to be something we can do because I really don't want to come out of pocket for this expense, but I still have to get to work. Does anyone know how much it costs to have the transmission repaired?

By shirleyr
on 06/04/11 09:08 AM (PDT)

We own this car also and Had to replace the transmission at an outrageous cost. The dealer said he hadn't heard of anyone else with this problem. Obviously there are owners with the same problem...a vechicle with a substandard trani. We are seriously upset as we bought this used vechicle last spring after researching reviews and not finding any c/o's of this type. We also had to do a tune up, also very costly as the engine was full of carbon!

By smltwnredhead
on 06/29/12 23:03 PM (PDT)

my husband and I have a 2006 Ford 500 and we too have had problems with the transmission and the "hiccups". I took it to our local ford dealership several times and was told that they hooked it up to their computer and nothing showed. I was out of town this week and it did it again, this time I took it to the ford dealership where I was at and was told that I had some major problems. Unfortunately, at this time, my warranty ran out 3 months ago. I had been taking it to the local dealership while it was still under warranty, I hope they will go back and help me with fixing my car, or we might have to take action.