Love my 2006 SEL FWD
By Topside on
2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)
Bought my 2006 SEL FWD used, many miles on it, great condition. I can't believe what a great value it is. Leather, sunroof, CD, rides nice, handles very well. I must be getting old, I'm excited by a 4-door. But it's beautiful inside and out, black exterior with light tan leather, nicely done woodgrain trim. I'm in sales and wanted to buy American, but most American cars don't appeal to me. This one does, looks almost German, the VW Passat was clearly their benchmark, but with much better interior room. Too bad they dropped the Five Hundred name and went back to the Taurus. I would have never bought it if it was named Taurus - geez, I'm getting older, but I'm not dead yet.
Favorite Features
I think Ford nailed it - looks, room, good handling, decent power, gets 28 mpg running with the fast traffic on the highway. Could use a touch more sound deadening, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice fuel economy or performance for quiet.
Suggested Improvements
Others grouse about a lack of power and poor transmission. Push the pedal on the right. Yeah it roars a bit but launches just fine. And the 6-sp tranny does great under power (okay, it hunts a little in some situations, but it does have 6 to choose from).