2006 Ford Five Hundred - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Five Hundred model:
Computer is deceiving
By W. Graham on 12/07/07 05:58 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I test drove one of these before buying mine and loved it. Mine has been excellent except for the brake problem and the fact it is underpowered. I found the gas mileage to be better than expected, but I actually compute it the old-fashioned way with pencil and paper. If you subtract the ending miles from the beginning and divide by the actual gallons used per the gas pump, you will see that your mileage is significantly better than the computer shows. I don't know why. I live in the country and get 23-25 running around and 25-27 on trips, using regular gas. I don't like the look of the 2008, but will try one when the time comes. Long time relationship with this great dealer.

Great car for the money
By MEAHTUH on 11/09/07 12:32 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Love the comfort, space, handling and fuel economy (high 20's consistently). I am partial to the styling vs. the new "Taurus" design. This is my wife's car which is used mainly for business. Incredible space in trunk for her samples. She can haul about as much as a pickup with seats down. No exaggeration. Problems so far - CD did not work soon after purchase and was replaced. Rear brakes! Worn out at 28K. Dealer said this was normal. We had them replaced at a local shop. 2 weeks later, received letter from Ford extending warranty on them to 36K miles - big deal. They should last longer than that. Received refund for the work we had done.

Best car I've ever had
By Beth on 10/12/07 02:34 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Five Hundred Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We adore this car. Over the years we have had several models of Toyotas, Subarus, Nissans, VWs. Nothing has matched it. The Five Hundred is powerful, comfortable, reliable, gets excellent gas mileage, fun and easy to drive, has inexpensive upkeep and the lease payments are cheap. I was devastated to hear that Ford wants to nix it in favor of the Taurus, which seems like a "secretary car" to us.

Fix the bugs
By Johnnyrama on 09/30/07 01:29 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Five Hundred Limited 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I really like my Ford 500 limited. I enjoy the way you sit up high with a good view. Its a big roomy, safe feeling car, with a massive trunk. I've had mine in the shop for repairs several times over the rear brakes. They had to be replaced at 20,000 miles the 1'st time, and they are still noisy, like metal to metal at times.Ive had the motor in the drivers side electric window replaced, the dash compartment lid got bubbles in it and had to be replaced, my seat heater for drivers seat had to be replaced, Ive had the trunk looked at( hard to open), and now my radio, CD, clock, is not working, back to the shop.

Not happy with Ford 500
By Betsy on 09/08/07 10:15 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Five Hundred Limited 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my Ford 500 1 year ago. I have had several problems...all which have been covered by warranties. My biggest complaint is with the brakes. I have had the pads replaced as often as I have had the oil changed, no joke. Also the rotars have been deglazed twice and turned once. Also there is a lot of road and engine noise while driving. I also had to replace the tires at 15k miles. Nothing lasts long on this car!!!

Safest Car in America
By TERRYP on 08/03/07 21:34 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Five Hundred SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I've driven this car for 1 year and currently have no issues. This is one solidly built automobile. I've studied the crash test data and I wasn't disappointed - 4 out of 5 tests it achieved the 5 star rating. (The 4 star rating was for rollover prevention - an issue that was corrected for 2008.) More than anything else - it is very comfortable to drive or ride in. Passengers in the back seat are surprised by the amount of leg room. When this lease is up I'm buying a Taurus.

Poor Quality. Nothing but troubles
By Paul on 07/16/07 19:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Five Hundred SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Buy a Toyota or Nissan or Honda. This car is the worst. I have had nothing but troubles with it. I have had it in the shop at least 6 times in 11 months. Bad rotors, replaced rotors, ground rotors, air conditioning problem, brake out at 30K, loudest car ever. Save your money and buy Japanese. I just bought a Maxima and love it. Soon I will get rid of Ford forever.

Still Not Up To Par Vs. Japanese
By Freeagent35 on 05/26/07 06:10 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Five Hundred SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This is a fleet vehicle supplied by my company. I drive it regularly, a mix of highway and city miles. Though a definite improvement from the Taurus, still not up to the level of quality of the better Japanese cars. Examples: (1) Hood has to be slammed to close. Don't have to do this if build quality and clearance is correct, but I have to slam the hood hard or it won't latch. Unacceptable. (2) Grinding and creaking noises in steering/suspension. This began shortly after purchase, in cold temps. Now happens regularly. I'm sick of buying imports but will have to until Detroit makes quality their number one goal. I likely would not buy one; if so, only if it was really cheap.

Excellent car
By earlbarr on 05/11/07 14:04 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I really enjoy driving this car. It handles well and is a very comfortable ride. The gas mileage is very good both in town and on the road.

A good car, but getting wary now.
By Vance on 04/29/07 07:19 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Five Hundred Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought this car at the end of the 2006 modely year and have enjoyed it a lot. The car is very comfortable and fun to drive. Excellent handling in snow and wet conditions. I am a bit disappointed with the mileage, but I can live with what is delivers. The big issue is that it has had problems starting in the last month. Five times now I have jumped in and it won't start. I had it towed last week but the service desk could not find the problem. It failed to start yesterday when I was running errands. fter 20 minutes it did start and I took it back for service. I am very unhappy with this reliability issue. Ford has enough problems.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.