Used 2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan

View reviews for a specific Five Hundred model:

Good Car For The Money
By S. Francis

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Great seating for visibility. Comfortable and handles well, with great fuel economy. Little noisy when engine is pressured. We love the car.

Favorite Features

High seating and fuel economy. Very roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Good enough.

Too early to tell
By Patrick

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Living in CA with the high gas prices, I traded my import SUV in for my first domestic vehicle. I did much research prior to deciding to buy this 500 but so far it's still too early to tell. I bought mine used with 8k miles for almost $10k less than a new one. It's already been in the shop once for a power steering pump replacement. I went out of the country for two weeks, came back, started it up and heard a big loud boom sound (happened only once) when the engine cranked. The engine in adequate but not great. Interior noise is low and driving it is a breeze. Hopefully nothing else will turn up. Thank goodness for the 3 year/ 36k warranty. I wouldn't have bought it without that!

Favorite Features

Command seating, 6 disc cd changer, auto climate control, huge interior space and trunk, nice conservative exterior design, 18 inch rims, can't beat all of this for the price.

Suggested Improvements

I bought the top of the line model but so I shouldn't have to pay extra for stuff like: side airbags (It gets an excellent crash rating with the side airbags but a poor without them!), sunroof, traction control, etc. Many of these "options" are now standard on most base model imports. C'mon Ford!

Under-rated great car
By Bob

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I switched from 16 years of driving SUV's, and the tall seating position, huge amount of usable space, and luxury made this an easy transition. I don't think it is under-powered, I think it is fine for daily driving, and it handles great. I recently had to merge onto a busy interstate in an area with no merge area, and was really surprised how much get up and go it has when you floor it. The interior is really comfortable for a tall person (I am 6-1 and have plenty of room). Everyone who has ridden in it has loved it - it's too bad so few know about it. Overall this has been a fantastic car. I would buy one again without hesitation.

Favorite Features

It has a HUGE amount of interior space without being huge outside. Classy, understated styling. Both rear seats fold to pass through to the monster sized trunk, making it really practical. Love the rear backup alarm. It has really comfortable leather seats that look as good as they feel.

Suggested Improvements

The carpet should be more plush. Ford needs to advertise this car: When I tell people I bought a Ford 500, 99% ask "What's that?" or "Is that a truck?" Only when I say "It looks like a Passat, but bigger" do they say: "Oh, sounds nice! I love Passats!" Sad... c'mon Ford - be proud of this car!

Feels like a Volvo
By John D

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Overall, I am very impressed with this car. I've had it for 3 months and have not had any unpleasant experiences. The car is very comfortable, even on very long trips, handles great, and has all the features I wanted. The CVT takes some getting used to but has been a nice surprise as well. I've had a Volvo in the past, and you do notice the car drives similar (very solid car). Gas mileage attained was nearly the same as on the window sticker.

Favorite Features

Style, comfort. CVT is great especially paired with the AWD. The car looks great (I have the Limited in black - not easy to keep clean, but no better looking car when it is).

Suggested Improvements

Engine is a bit noisy. I didn't find the power lacking as others have noted. I think if this car comes out with a better refined engine, it will be nearly perfect.

2nd Go 'Round
By JHW

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my first 500 back in late 2004 and it was the Limited version, which I absolutely loved. I traded it in after 9 months because I thought I'd have more fun with a Mustang since it seemed to be a "younger" car. I have traded twice since then and have returned back to the 500. This time, I went with the SEL version. The only difference I can tell is heated and memory seats and a sun roof. I intend on adding a sunroof but am still completely sold on this car. You get so much for the money. I have looked at several Euro cars and this one definitely gives more bang for the buck. I think I'll keep this one for a while!

Favorite Features

Backup sensors and interior styling.

Suggested Improvements

More power, more advertising, more sleek design.