2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Five Hundred model:
Best Sedan For The $$
By rockinroller on 04/30/12 15:11 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought my 06 SEL FWD used for $5000 recently and can tell you it's the absolute BEST BUY I've ever made for a used vehicle. I had the 07 Limited AWD for a couple of years (also used) and in retrospect probably should not have sold it. It was great in the (Michigan) winters, got super mileage for a big car (26+ highway), seated 5 adults comfortably and the only issue I had was with the rear brakes wearing out after only 15K miles. This recent 2006 purchase reminds me of the great qualities that Ford built into these vehicles and had they been "faster" and perhaps a bit cheaper (than the $30K price tag for the Limited AWD), they'd probably still be around.

Another Bad Ford Transmission
By bunnytwo on 02/08/12 09:34 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

After replacing 4 transmissions on a Windstar, and another on a Taurus SHO, we still bought another Ford. Now the 2006 Five Hundred needs a new transmission with under 100k miles. Here is the funny part. The dealer said we had the new CVT or VCT TYPE tranny, but the 2nd opinion mechanic said we don't. How could the dealer be mistaken? This is my LAST Ford.

Haven't had any significant problems
By moonview1 on 08/20/11 05:25 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this car new in '06. Had an issue with the brakes from sitting on lot. Dealer took care of this, and also preempted later recall. An alignment issue used up rear tires by 15,000 miles . I was not happy with the dealers response which was basically an offer to sell me 4 tires and an alignment. Bought tires and alignment elsewhere. Other than that, this car has been a champ. Have 70,000+ with no problems. The only thing I have done is to change the oil religiously, and I put new brakes on rear. Sent in last payment this month, so I guess I'll put in some plugs, change the belt, and flush the coolant. Great car.

Pathetic!
By tsblack on 07/18/11 19:39 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car an 06 SEL in 08. Had great miles on it and the car presented very well. Overall a great looking comfortable car. However it's all the cosmetic things that are ticking me off and now as of today I am getting a skipping occurence where the car is trying to hiccup?? going down the road. The engine light has now come on and we're going to be off to visit a mechanic soon. I'm not happy. Moreover, the driver's door keeps setting off an alarm that it's open when of course it's not going down a highway! and the car just frankly rides like crap. Very noisy ride. Won't do this again. Another let down from Ford.

TRANSMISSION IS WACK
By condrabo on 03/11/11 09:33 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Ford has had major problems with the transmissions in the 2005-2006 Ford 500's. The transmissions go out with as little as 30,000 miles on the vehicle. My car is no exception to the transmission issues. The car will "buck and jump" when passing or when slowing below 40 mph. I contacted Ford and their response was since the NHTSA hasn't forced a recall, there is nothing they can do to assist with the problem. Instead of being proactive, I suppose Ford will just wait until enough people have had their fill of problems and file class action lawsuits.

My Last Ford - EVER
By Carl D. Clark on 11/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The paint is coming apart on the leading edge of the hood, an obvious defect from the factory. The collision center manager at the dealer "confirmed" that it is a factory defect, and stated that ford is not standing up and warranting it. The dealer said it will cost $500 to repaint the hood and that they could not warranty the repair due to the problems with the aluminum hood. After contacting Ford Customer service I received a call from the dealer saying that they can get Ford to pay $200 of the $500 to repaint the hood. Today Ford Customer service said that this case is not closed. Never again.

A Mechanic's Dream to make more money
By Carl on 05/28/10 05:51 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This car is a piece of junk, mechanically speaking. 60,000 mile, with 3 brake jobs, 1 alternator, 1 front wheel bearing, 2 idler arm ball joints and Fidelity Extended Insurance won't cover it, considered normal wear. What a crock. I will never purchase another Ford product.

Satisfied in NY
By Central NY on 03/24/10 18:24 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Love this car. I have had it since new and have 92000 miles on it. I have driven this car 11 hours in one day and never get stiff or cramped like other cars I have owned. Gas mileage is great at 24 mpg love the leather and sunroof. The traction control was worth every cent of the upgrade price. Have never had a problem in snow. I will say its a typical ford as far as brakes go, I am on my 3rd set along with 3rd set of tires. But even after 92,000 mile the car is as steady on the road as the day I picked it up from the dealer. Wish they didn't rename it to Taurus I think the car would have done better as a 500.

From Explorer to 500 in under 2.8 second
By fivehundredpa on 01/21/10 00:28 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Overall, I am very impressed with the car. I've only had it for over a month but so far it feels solid. After spending an entire year searching for a car to trade into from and SUV, this one had the best consumer reviews. You'd be amazed how many cars have horrible transmission problems. Got a 4 year bumper to bumper to help with Ford's here and there reliability. The car feels nice on the road, handles snow decently. The stock tires I would throw into the sun if I could. Punch it and she'll take off or just baby it and she'll tug along. As for some folks complaint about power, it's adequate and if you want pure performance then should have looked at a car with those specs.

love the car but hate the monthly visits
By mrscal on 11/09/09 14:22 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 500 brand new and fell in love with it. My husband gave it to me for a Christmas present/baby gift. Car performed well when we had a collision later that year. Then the monthly visits began. The car has had a new blower motor installed, a ton of transmission work, three brake jobs, door repairs, interior repair, and now the radio has died. We also believe there is an electrical problem with the car the dealership has not located as of yet. I am ready to move this car on. Loved the car, but I hate the almost monthly dealership visits. I would not recommend this car nor any Ford product...and this coming from a former Ford fan.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.