Used 2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Five Hundred model:

Best Sedan For The $$
By rockinroller

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought my 06 SEL FWD used for $5000 recently and can tell you it's the absolute BEST BUY I've ever made for a used vehicle. I had the 07 Limited AWD for a couple of years (also used) and in retrospect probably should not have sold it. It was great in the (Michigan) winters, got super mileage for a big car (26+ highway), seated 5 adults comfortably and the only issue I had was with the rear brakes wearing out after only 15K miles. This recent 2006 purchase reminds me of the great qualities that Ford built into these vehicles and had they been "faster" and perhaps a bit cheaper (than the $30K price tag for the Limited AWD), they'd probably still be around.

Favorite Features

The best thing about these Five Hundreds is their utility--interior space, yet not a bulky vehicle to park and drive. They have a European feel of quality--both in and out. The driver's seat (in the SEL and Limited) has so many adjustments that you can't miss finding a location that's right for you. Vision is superb from in-to-out.

Suggested Improvements

Too late now as these are out of production, BUT if Ford had these on the burner for the next model year I'd advise them to increase the power of the engine, LOSE that CVT trans and put 18" wheels and tires on all models of this vehicle.

Another Bad Ford Transmission
By bunnytwo

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

After replacing 4 transmissions on a Windstar, and another on a Taurus SHO, we still bought another Ford. Now the 2006 Five Hundred needs a new transmission with under 100k miles. Here is the funny part. The dealer said we had the new CVT or VCT TYPE tranny, but the 2nd opinion mechanic said we don't. How could the dealer be mistaken? This is my LAST Ford.

Haven't had any significant problems
By moonview1

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this car new in '06. Had an issue with the brakes from sitting on lot. Dealer took care of this, and also preempted later recall. An alignment issue used up rear tires by 15,000 miles . I was not happy with the dealers response which was basically an offer to sell me 4 tires and an alignment. Bought tires and alignment elsewhere. Other than that, this car has been a champ. Have 70,000+ with no problems. The only thing I have done is to change the oil religiously, and I put new brakes on rear. Sent in last payment this month, so I guess I'll put in some plugs, change the belt, and flush the coolant. Great car.

Favorite Features

Love the sunroof. The trunk is GI-NORMOUS.. I find the car quite peppy.

Suggested Improvements

Like ALL modern cars, maintenance is a bitch. Have to pull intake manifold to access rear plugs.

Pathetic!
By tsblack

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car an 06 SEL in 08. Had great miles on it and the car presented very well. Overall a great looking comfortable car. However it's all the cosmetic things that are ticking me off and now as of today I am getting a skipping occurence where the car is trying to hiccup?? going down the road. The engine light has now come on and we're going to be off to visit a mechanic soon. I'm not happy. Moreover, the driver's door keeps setting off an alarm that it's open when of course it's not going down a highway! and the car just frankly rides like crap. Very noisy ride. Won't do this again. Another let down from Ford.

Favorite Features

Interior is nice and roomy. Exterior is very stylish and looks good.

Suggested Improvements

Better components that represent the car's build. Obviously there are cheap parts behind the door panels, because I am once again having to track down leaks from inside the door panels on the back doors and the drivers door sensor continues to drive us crazy! I think the steering column needs to adjust more upward for a more conforming fit for taller drivers.

TRANSMISSION IS WACK
By condrabo

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Ford has had major problems with the transmissions in the 2005-2006 Ford 500's. The transmissions go out with as little as 30,000 miles on the vehicle. My car is no exception to the transmission issues. The car will "buck and jump" when passing or when slowing below 40 mph. I contacted Ford and their response was since the NHTSA hasn't forced a recall, there is nothing they can do to assist with the problem. Instead of being proactive, I suppose Ford will just wait until enough people have had their fill of problems and file class action lawsuits.

Favorite Features

The car is roomy and comfortable, that is the only great thing about it.

Suggested Improvements

Replace the transmissions with a more reliable, and newly designed model.