Used 2006 Ford Five Hundred SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Five Hundred model:

105,000 miles, 2nd CVT fail
By Brandi

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Bought at 7 miles old. After a wk & a half the cvt trans had to be replaced. Again at 105,000 miles its getting replaced again. I've lost all faith and trust in ford. How can they have so many problems with these particular cvts and not feel at least some responsibility for it? I feel very cheated by ford.

Has been a very reliable car
By mts35

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I originally bought this car in 2012 with 62k miles. Now it's 2015 and 163k miles later. My car has the cvt transmission and no issues. Those complaining of slipping or hard shifts in between gears would be the 6 speed auto. Cvt transmission had only one continous gear. It does not shift. The only replacements done to this car other than normal maintenance is replacing the alternator at 120k miles and replacing the starter at 150k miles. Otherwise a solid car for the money. My daily commute is 120 miles round trip.

Reliability. Highway driven averaging 28mpg

Stronger engine. 203hp is weak for this size car and it's outclassed by the competition.

2006 Ford 500 SE CVT Tranny
By mts35

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Just a quick review due to character space. The car has been very reliable. No transmission issues (CVT does not shift like the 6 speed. I feel others who voice transmission problems actually have the 6 speed as you do not notice gear shifting in a CVT, it is constant and smooth). Bought with 62k miles and presently I have 128k miles and only work needed was a brake change. Now to capture reasons on car rating. Performance: slow and mild engine. 203hp is a little weak for this size car. Comfort, design, quality I put 4 as they are nice. Reliability excellent as I've had no issues. Value poor. Typical of american cars with high mileage.

CVT Transmission. It took some getting used to at first as I've always driven sports cars or sport sedans and loved the shifting of gears. With the CVT transmission however there are no shifting of gears. Just a constant yet smooth acceleration without shifting. Reliability. I bought the car with 62k miles and presently have over 128k miles. Only work needed so far was my brakes. Just typical maintenance. If you take care of this car it will take care of you and last for a long time. I also like the space. Perfect for family trips (huge trunk) and I'm 6'8" and fits me very comfortable.

I think they have covered as many improvements as they could when they redesigned it back into the Ford Taurus. My only complaint is the handling (handles like a boat) and engine performance. 203hp is a little sluggish for this size vehicle. 250hp would have been a little better and competitive to the market.

Transmission Failure
By Dora Sweigart

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

With 68,000 miles, the transmission went out. The cost to repair was $4,200. Now the air conditioning is going out. I will not buy another Ford product.

FANTASTIC CAR,LUV IT!!!
By veronica taylor

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This is my first luxury vehicle,my mother absolutely loves to ride in my car, even though she owns a NEW TOYOTA. THE RIDE IS SMOOTH, when I drive my car I feel like I am driving an SUV.

This is a very elegant looking vehecle Very roomy, stylish

No improvements, great car.

• SUV