Used 2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Five-hundred - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan

View reviews for a specific Five Hundred model:

Has been a very reliable car
By mts35

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I originally bought this car in 2012 with 62k miles. Now it's 2015 and 163k miles later. My car has the cvt transmission and no issues. Those complaining of slipping or hard shifts in between gears would be the 6 speed auto. Cvt transmission had only one continous gear. It does not shift. The only replacements done to this car other than normal maintenance is replacing the alternator at 120k miles and replacing the starter at 150k miles. Otherwise a solid car for the money. My daily commute is 120 miles round trip.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Highway driven averaging 28mpg

Suggested Improvements

Stronger engine. 203hp is weak for this size car and it's outclassed by the competition.

Transmission
By kimgross12

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

My car is a 2006... It has almost 180,000 miles on it. For the most part this has been a good car however, I still feel the transmission shouldn't not be going out. As I read other reviews and notice the same car and year has all these transmission issues is a sign of a test car. Is it fair now that my transmission has died and I have to get another car...NO! My expectation was to keep this car for along time.

2006 Ford 500 SE CVT Tranny
By mts35

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Just a quick review due to character space. The car has been very reliable. No transmission issues (CVT does not shift like the 6 speed. I feel others who voice transmission problems actually have the 6 speed as you do not notice gear shifting in a CVT, it is constant and smooth). Bought with 62k miles and presently I have 128k miles and only work needed was a brake change. Now to capture reasons on car rating. Performance: slow and mild engine. 203hp is a little weak for this size car. Comfort, design, quality I put 4 as they are nice. Reliability excellent as I've had no issues. Value poor. Typical of american cars with high mileage.

Favorite Features

CVT Transmission. It took some getting used to at first as I've always driven sports cars or sport sedans and loved the shifting of gears. With the CVT transmission however there are no shifting of gears. Just a constant yet smooth acceleration without shifting. Reliability. I bought the car with 62k miles and presently have over 128k miles. Only work needed so far was my brakes. Just typical maintenance. If you take care of this car it will take care of you and last for a long time. I also like the space. Perfect for family trips (huge trunk) and I'm 6'8" and fits me very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

I think they have covered as many improvements as they could when they redesigned it back into the Ford Taurus. My only complaint is the handling (handles like a boat) and engine performance. 203hp is a little sluggish for this size vehicle. 250hp would have been a little better and competitive to the market.

transmission clunking
By jmlws

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Bought car used with 128k miles, shortly transmission started clunking loudly in lower gears between 2 & 3 on the CVT tranny. I guess I'm not the only one with tranny problems on these cars. If Ford made a lemon you would thing they would do the right thing and announce a recall to keep their people happy. It would actually bring them more new business. This will be my last Ford unless they fix it.

99,300 miles so far
By pndcke

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Car is getting hard to find, best kept secret, space, mileage, and seats you can actually get off of after a 16 hour trip with no pains or stiffness! Space for shopping and luggage! Black leather interior and surfaces looks as new!

Favorite Features

Space! Mileage! In 100,000 miles I replaced the original tires with Michelin Hydroedge, 1 a/c compressor and top engine mount and about 87,000 miles, replaced rear brakes with new rotors and ceramic pads, no mess! K&N Air Filter and Pennzoil Platinum 5w/20 since 3000 miles. Buy the 6speed auto FWD not the cvt trans nor AWD. The car averages 26.9 MPG with 33.5 on level highway 65MPH and 37psi in the tires, cruise on.

Suggested Improvements

Buy another and put it in storage for future replacement.