2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Five Hundred model:
2006 Ford 500 SE CVT Tranny
By mts35 on 10/25/13 07:26 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Just a quick review due to character space. The car has been very reliable. No transmission issues (CVT does not shift like the 6 speed. I feel others who voice transmission problems actually have the 6 speed as you do not notice gear shifting in a CVT, it is constant and smooth). Bought with 62k miles and presently I have 128k miles and only work needed was a brake change. Now to capture reasons on car rating. Performance: slow and mild engine. 203hp is a little weak for this size car. Comfort, design, quality I put 4 as they are nice. Reliability excellent as I've had no issues. Value poor. Typical of american cars with high mileage.

transmission clunking
By jmlws on 12/20/12 16:27 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Bought car used with 128k miles, shortly transmission started clunking loudly in lower gears between 2 & 3 on the CVT tranny. I guess I'm not the only one with tranny problems on these cars. If Ford made a lemon you would thing they would do the right thing and announce a recall to keep their people happy. It would actually bring them more new business. This will be my last Ford unless they fix it.

99,300 miles so far
By pndcke on 10/28/12 14:44 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Car is getting hard to find, best kept secret, space, mileage, and seats you can actually get off of after a 16 hour trip with no pains or stiffness! Space for shopping and luggage! Black leather interior and surfaces looks as new!

Best Sedan For The $$
By rockinroller on 04/30/12 15:11 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought my 06 SEL FWD used for $5000 recently and can tell you it's the absolute BEST BUY I've ever made for a used vehicle. I had the 07 Limited AWD for a couple of years (also used) and in retrospect probably should not have sold it. It was great in the (Michigan) winters, got super mileage for a big car (26+ highway), seated 5 adults comfortably and the only issue I had was with the rear brakes wearing out after only 15K miles. This recent 2006 purchase reminds me of the great qualities that Ford built into these vehicles and had they been "faster" and perhaps a bit cheaper (than the $30K price tag for the Limited AWD), they'd probably still be around.

Transmission Issues
By karent4 on 04/16/12 08:50 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

2006 Ford 500 transmission bushing shot $1,200; that hurts!

Another Bad Ford Transmission
By bunnytwo on 02/08/12 09:34 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

After replacing 4 transmissions on a Windstar, and another on a Taurus SHO, we still bought another Ford. Now the 2006 Five Hundred needs a new transmission with under 100k miles. Here is the funny part. The dealer said we had the new CVT or VCT TYPE tranny, but the 2nd opinion mechanic said we don't. How could the dealer be mistaken? This is my LAST Ford.

Truth Be Told...
By db13 on 10/26/11 01:11 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I thought it was the best engineered car around...for the money and it's functionality and form. It's simply a beautiful, comfortable, and fun-to-drive car. Untill the power steering pump, and rack went out at only 30k. $1100.00 ouch! Now, at 57K I'm hearing howling as I drive to work at night. No, not Halloween warewolves, I wish; wheel (axle), bearing. $360.00 if dearler does the job.

Haven't had any significant problems
By moonview1 on 08/20/11 05:25 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this car new in '06. Had an issue with the brakes from sitting on lot. Dealer took care of this, and also preempted later recall. An alignment issue used up rear tires by 15,000 miles . I was not happy with the dealers response which was basically an offer to sell me 4 tires and an alignment. Bought tires and alignment elsewhere. Other than that, this car has been a champ. Have 70,000+ with no problems. The only thing I have done is to change the oil religiously, and I put new brakes on rear. Sent in last payment this month, so I guess I'll put in some plugs, change the belt, and flush the coolant. Great car.

Pathetic!
By tsblack on 07/18/11 19:39 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car an 06 SEL in 08. Had great miles on it and the car presented very well. Overall a great looking comfortable car. However it's all the cosmetic things that are ticking me off and now as of today I am getting a skipping occurence where the car is trying to hiccup?? going down the road. The engine light has now come on and we're going to be off to visit a mechanic soon. I'm not happy. Moreover, the driver's door keeps setting off an alarm that it's open when of course it's not going down a highway! and the car just frankly rides like crap. Very noisy ride. Won't do this again. Another let down from Ford.

TRANSMISSION IS WACK
By condrabo on 03/11/11 09:33 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Ford has had major problems with the transmissions in the 2005-2006 Ford 500's. The transmissions go out with as little as 30,000 miles on the vehicle. My car is no exception to the transmission issues. The car will "buck and jump" when passing or when slowing below 40 mph. I contacted Ford and their response was since the NHTSA hasn't forced a recall, there is nothing they can do to assist with the problem. Instead of being proactive, I suppose Ford will just wait until enough people have had their fill of problems and file class action lawsuits.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.