Used 2005 Ford Five Hundred Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Five Hundred - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Five Hundred model:

Running Stong
By Jacob

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I am so glad I decided to by my Five Hundred. It has been the perfect car for me. After 65,000 miles it is still running strong with no mechanical problems whats so ever. Nothing has gone wrong and I'm now glad I didn't get the exteneded warranty. I consistantly get 22-24 mpg and the awd not only saved me this winter but got me out of the mud at a concert when a bunch of other sedans got stuck in a muddy field! I have every intention of running this vehicle until it rolls over and dies, but it's going to be a long time from now.

AWD goes without saying, but the 20 gallon gas tank has been extremly convienant. I generally go about 425 miles between fill ups.

Ford should offer options outside of the package. I would haved loved a sunroof but didn't want the SEL package.

Formal rental purchase
By formal rental

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought car for only 11k and worth every penny. I am sure this car was abused before I bought it and it still holds up very well as my commuter. Its big and brawny like a st bernard but without the teeth. If power and performance is what you are after your a fool to be looking at this car. But if you have a commute and you dont want lower back pain with very respectable freeway mileage this car is a winner. A trunk for the gotti family and a back seat for the prom date of your dreams this big beast is a regular unleaded running winner. Fyi my weekend toy is an 04 E55 thats a big reason I dont look to this car for any performance satisfaction.

Runs on regular unleaded, freeway mileage is very Accord and Camry like. Comfort surpasses all the competition in price point.

Ford 500
By Sue

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I regret buying this car. There is no pick up, the quality of the interior is very poor, the gas mileage is horrible. I could hear and feel the brakes each time I pressed them. I could feel the axles moving in my car when I turned the steering wheel. In the 2 years that I have had this car, I have had to have the power steering pump replaced and the air conditioner fixed twice.

Radio and very roomy back seat.

I miss my 02 SEL Taurus
By Vincent

2005 Ford Five Hundred SEL Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This vehicle dosn't have the power of my 02 Sel Taurus, you would think having the same motor this car would fly like the Taurus. The 3.0 Duratec in my Taurus would give you whiplash, but not my Five Hundred. The inteior isn't as roomy either, but I'll get use to it. If your tall don't get a Five Hundred without adjustable pedals, the seats don't go back far. I do like the message center, it can be convienent. The Audiophile stereo is better than The Mach that was in the Taurus. It handles pretty good, It has better tires than the Taurus (Continental's) which don't last very long. This car is new for me, bought it used, it's loaded and I'm sure in due time I'll own an 08 Taurus Limited.

Big cargo area, 17" wheels.

LED tail lights.

CVT Transmission = Worthless
By Dee

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Our family has owned many ford products but this one is a great disappointment. This car has been at a Ford dealership since June. The transmission went and Ford wants $5500 -$6500.00 to put in a new transmission that comes from China. Ford will not help in anyway. The looks beautiful but is not drivable. My daughter and I could have been killed on the turnpike because the car slipped into neutral when you tried to get above 50mph. Greatly disappointed with Ford.

Exterior and interior

Ford could use a transmission that is American made. Only the dealership is able to provide and care for this Trans. which makes it very costly.