2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Five Hundred model:
Brake Problems With Ford Five Hundred!
By Dave on 03/17/07 11:25 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased our Five Hundred in July 06 with 6000 miles. On our first trip I noticed a bad vibration during braking going down hills. I contacted the dealer and they said that a factory brake kit was needed to fix the problem. The kit consisted of new discs and pads. Now after approximately 16,000 miles after the replacement, the rear brake pads were shot and needed to be replaced for $200. I contacted Ford and they will not admit that there is a problem with the brake design. I've also had to have the gauge cluster replaced. I thought Ford finally had a "Better Idea". I guess I was wrong.

Nice Car
By DaveInNC on 03/11/07 08:26 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We have had our SEL FWD for 14 months now and have driven it about 12000 miles. We have three cars, so this one isn't driven every day, but we are always sure to take this one when we go on longer trips because it is very comfortable and gets good mileage. When cruising on the freeway, this car is quiet and smooth, but the engine is a little bit noisy under brisk acceleration. The 6-speed transmission behaves well and helps the somewhat underpowered 3.0L engine performs as well as it possibly can. The car has been very reliable so far, but I have had to take it to the shop for rear suspension noise (brake cable grommet) and to have a new dash storage compartment lid installed (bubbles).

Great concept, poor execution!
By MA on 02/02/07 11:49 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan Limited Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I was delighted to see Ford come up with a car that is roomy, comfortable and versatile. The first day of delivery I spotted 4 defects, 3 trims and 1 paint. The first year, I noticed that the climate control is performing erratically then the front brakes had to be replaced because the hardware fell off! Also, the instrument panel blistered from the sun. The second year, the rear doors weather stripping fell off, both sides. The front doors don't lock below 20 deg F (recall) and the starter mechanism started acting up. Also, the front drive bearings are noisy. As they say, never buy a first year car. Wait until they work the bugs out!

Bad brakes
By Sif2b on 01/26/07 12:11 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I love my 2005 Ford 500 and have had nothing but great things to say about it until now. I take it in to the shop every 3,000 miles or so for servicing to include tire rotation, brake check, etc. I took it in at 20,227 miles only to be informed that my rear brakes and rotors were shot and needed to be replaced. Another 2005 Ford 500 was in the shop the same day and that owner was told the same thing about their car. 3000 miles ago my brakes were good. From what I've been able to find out, this brake problem seems to be a not-so-uncommon story with the 2005 Ford 500. Anyone who has had this problem should contact Ford Motor Company.

Love it!
By Karen on 01/18/07 11:39 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Love the car. Great ride and comfort on trips to Jersey and back to Virginia. Trunk fits all my daughter's softball gear and all of our chairs and coolers with room to spare. Mileage on the highway to and from is 29 or so. Make it from Virginia to Jersey on half a tank. Wow!

Love This Car
By Jim Whalen on 01/11/07 19:55 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Have 20,000 miles on car. It is large, safe and economical. Six speed auto transmission gives performance that is more than adequate but not a roadburner. City 23 mpg, highway 27-29 mpg on regular gas. Very happy with car.

Mom of 2 in MI
By Fordwife on 12/27/06 13:07 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have had this car for 18 months and love most everything about it. With 40,000 highway miles I have had plenty of time to drive it. My biggest complaint is the brakes had to be replaced at 30,000 miles at at cost of almost $400. I was not happy. One minor recall to date and the dash is bubbling a little. This car has been driven from Michigan to Florida with absolutely no problems. Very comfortable in the rear seat for my two children. Gas mileage is respectable and the trunk size is awesome - no more borrowing my husbands F-150. Overall, very nice car.

Love the car, good fuel milage & looks
By Kathy Bedell on 12/15/06 13:14 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Have made cross country trip and the car handles great. It is comfortable for long distances. I feel the low end power lacks but once you adjust to the slower acceleration it's okay. I like the interior design with dash compartment for small items. Very large & comfortable car, truck is super large, it's great for traveling.

Wow what a car! I love it.
By alcontejr on 12/02/06 18:47 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I moved up from a long line of Tauruses. I was skeptical during my first test drive. Thought it too confining with poor visibility due to size of side view mirrors which I thought blocked front corner vision during tight turns. I also do not like the high beam stalk switch. It is vague.

ISSUES WITH FIVE HUNDRED
By mdarnell on 11/28/06 09:15 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan Limited Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This vehicle has been in the shop for the following to be replaced and Ford will not buy it back: amp-replaced 3 times, speaker-replaced 2 times, cd-replaced 3 times, bubbling dash-5 times. This vehicle still makes a roaring noise and every electrical noise comes through the speakers. When it is very hot or extremely cold as well as after it rains in when this noise comes up. It is so loud you have to turn the radio or ignition off. We have arbitrated and they refused to still take it back. It is going back in the shop Thursday AGAIN for them to tell us they don't know what else to do. Just want to warn those of you out there.