Used 2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Five Hundred model:

Inspect It Carefully!
By James S.

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The Bad: Our white 500 had massive problems with areas of the car not being painted (primer showing through) and with paint runs/defects. Lower front bumper, door jams, inside trunk areas etc. It also had problems with the sheet metal along the rear door seams and rear quarter panel being deformed. There's also the issue of the notorious heat bubble that shows up on the center dashboard console that Ford will not currently fix due to a "pending solution." Next you have the gas tank strap recall that is also pending. The Good: The fuel mileage and cruising range are very good for a car of this size. Achieved 550+ miles on highway trips from the 20 gallon tank. Transmission is impressive.

Safety specifications and crash test data. You feel safe inside this car.

Improve quality of body panels and paint work as noted by Ford's own employees.

The 500 after 6 months
By Chuck

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my 500 in May 2005. I previously owned a Lincoln Town Car and was looking for a car to retire with. The size of the 500 was just right and its price didn't take much of a bite. After my initial test drive I was sold. The fit and finish of this car was as good as any I had seen. The CVT transmission is one of the smoothest I have ever experienced. Granted the interior leaves a bit to be desired but the economy and performance is right on. I have read some reviews that said it was under-powered. I don't find this so. The 50 to 80 passing speeds are so quick that you hardly realize that you have achieved 80 when passing. With my six months with the 500 I have had no problems.

The CVT transmission and the little pop-up door in the dash.

Ford got it right
By BB

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

What's not to like? The car is roomy, the ride is very smooth, the steering is quick and I get 29 mpg with regular gas. As for performance, I traded a Lincoln LS Sport V6 and the Five Hundred feels just as quick. I like the looks of the car, especially from the side but my gray SE interior is kind of plain compared to my friend's much more expensive Five Hundred Limited. People that get in my car are amazed at the rear seat room. My car has the CVT transmission and I've always seen 28 - 29 mpg in the 4,000 mile that I've driven the car (usually 65 mph or more with the A/C on).

Big car feel and 29 MPG for $19,500 with the Ford Family Plan.

Some drivers side wind noise at highway speeds and the CVT is a little noisy on hills.

Good Value
By Ted

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have 2000 miles on my SE with CVT. I like the CVT a lot. Contrary to some reviews, I do not find the car under powered. I like sitting higher although the price for this might be less agility in parking ramps. Very comfortable highway car. Gas mileage first tank in mixed driving was 20.5 mgp. A lot of car for the price. At $8000 less than the Toyota Avelon a good deal.

CVT transmission. CD player. Tall view.

Allow some of the high end options for the base model. For example the Universal Garage Door opener is only available on the Ltd. I would suggest that Ford concentrate on the base model and forgo meaningless differences between SE,SEL and Ltd.Who needs decorative plastic for $4000 more?

By Family Man

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This is a follow up report from 6/11/05. Just got back from sunny California. The trip from WA was a joy. We pulled 28 mpg and a low of 18 in stop and go (the 405 in LA stinks) with the A/C on most of the time. I had the window tinted in LA (35%) and that made the comfort in side even better. My teen age kid had no problem with some of the I5 drive back. This is a nice family car. The car now has 4500 miles on it.

Inside and trunk room. The 6 speed tranny is sweet. Good MPG for a small tank.

I would like to feel about 40 hp, but I would not give up the MPG.