2005 Ford Five Hundred - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Five Hundred model:
Personal Experience
By Mitchell on 07/24/08 01:39 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Purchased for wife new. Car is underpowered, power steering is unsually stiff. I drove others and the steering is the same, stiff. Takes more effort to turn. Transmission went out at 37000 miles, heated seats stopped working twice shortly after purchase, repaired under warranty. Stopped working again past warranty, still don't work. Front wheel bearing went out at 39000, air conditioner quit at 71000, rear brakes and rotors replaced under recall, engine extremely noisy when down shifting/acelerating to pass on highway. Also had to replace bulbs in front fog lamps and rear tail lights.

Replacement vehicle
By ajw79097 on 06/25/08 13:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Limited Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Before purchasing this vehicle, we owned an '01 Mercury Sable LS Premium sedan. My Sable was a great car and had all the amenities for someone new the owning a sedan. My Sable was starting to act its age (it had 107,000 miles on it at trade-in), so it was time to find a suitable replacement. We bought the 500 used, but it definitely didn't look to be used. The previous owner this vehicle very well and it seems practically new. Even though I've only had it less than a week, and I do miss my Sable, this is a more than suitable replacement. It offers plenty of room for all us (I have a toddler with a large car seat), handles well and is just a great overall car.

Love my Five Hundred!
By MG on 05/30/08 21:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I love my Five Hundred. I bought it used at a rent a car place with approx 20000 miles. I now have 32000 on it and it's at the Ford shop waiting for a new engine. Thankfully Ford honored my warranty since I had records of oil changes. Who knows why the engine went bad. Probably someone drove it like a rental.

Love My Ford 500!
By A. Staley on 05/29/08 08:09 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Limited Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I've always driven Fords but this is the best one yet! I purchased my Ford 500 last summer and I love it. It has great style and comfort. It has lots of power and is fun to drive. I get a lot of compliments on it. I recommend it to anyone who wants lots of room and a great ride with style. Gets decent gas mileage 19 to 21 mpg in city and 27 to 29 on highway.

Great looking at great value
By Ocean on 05/29/08 06:27 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Limited Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Excellent looking and handling ride at a terrific value. Lots of extras for the money. A few minor design issues will be worked out with subsequent year models or in the Taurus. The car's size and executive design made it very comfortable and it had a cavernous trunk. Despite its size, it handled like a much smaller car with tight handling and confident handling, great suspension and grip, while having just enough power to have some fun. The economy wasn't bad. I would like to see the rear fender redesigned so not to catch stones with it's leading edge. Else, it's a great all around ride. I'll miss it.

Running Stong
By Jacob on 05/09/08 13:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I am so glad I decided to by my Five Hundred. It has been the perfect car for me. After 65,000 miles it is still running strong with no mechanical problems whats so ever. Nothing has gone wrong and I'm now glad I didn't get the exteneded warranty. I consistantly get 22-24 mpg and the awd not only saved me this winter but got me out of the mud at a concert when a bunch of other sedans got stuck in a muddy field! I have every intention of running this vehicle until it rolls over and dies, but it's going to be a long time from now.

Formal rental purchase
By formal rental on 02/05/08 16:42 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought car for only 11k and worth every penny. I am sure this car was abused before I bought it and it still holds up very well as my commuter. Its big and brawny like a st bernard but without the teeth. If power and performance is what you are after your a fool to be looking at this car. But if you have a commute and you dont want lower back pain with very respectable freeway mileage this car is a winner. A trunk for the gotti family and a back seat for the prom date of your dreams this big beast is a regular unleaded running winner. Fyi my weekend toy is an 04 E55 thats a big reason I dont look to this car for any performance satisfaction.

Ford 500
By Sue on 01/02/08 14:25 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I regret buying this car. There is no pick up, the quality of the interior is very poor, the gas mileage is horrible. I could hear and feel the brakes each time I pressed them. I could feel the axles moving in my car when I turned the steering wheel. In the 2 years that I have had this car, I have had to have the power steering pump replaced and the air conditioner fixed twice.

I miss my 02 SEL Taurus
By Vincent on 12/29/07 12:05 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SEL Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This vehicle dosn't have the power of my 02 Sel Taurus, you would think having the same motor this car would fly like the Taurus. The 3.0 Duratec in my Taurus would give you whiplash, but not my Five Hundred. The inteior isn't as roomy either, but I'll get use to it. If your tall don't get a Five Hundred without adjustable pedals, the seats don't go back far. I do like the message center, it can be convienent. The Audiophile stereo is better than The Mach that was in the Taurus. It handles pretty good, It has better tires than the Taurus (Continental's) which don't last very long. This car is new for me, bought it used, it's loaded and I'm sure in due time I'll own an 08 Taurus Limited.

CVT Transmission = Worthless
By Dee on 12/29/07 08:47 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Our family has owned many ford products but this one is a great disappointment. This car has been at a Ford dealership since June. The transmission went and Ford wants $5500 -$6500.00 to put in a new transmission that comes from China. Ford will not help in anyway. The looks beautiful but is not drivable. My daughter and I could have been killed on the turnpike because the car slipped into neutral when you tried to get above 50mph. Greatly disappointed with Ford.