Used 2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Five Hundred model:

Ford 500 SE
By UMASS93

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Third Ford that I have owned - step up from the Taurus. Now Ford plans to name this the Taurus due to lack of name recognition for 2008. Best car to have if you have a family. Higher off the ground that most sedans and consistently rates as one of the safest vehicles in a front and side collison. Gas mileage is acceptable, I have over 80,000 miles on my 2005. Live in MD and work in PA - 75 miles one way - average 28 mpg highway - have to love cruise control.

Favorite Features

Lots of room. Very easy to place multiple car seats securely. Large trunk. Smooth ride - great car for long drives. Seats are comfortable and easy on the back and backside.

Suggested Improvements

Engine is weak. Traveling on I 95 need to merge into traffic quickly and get to 65 mph ASAP. The acceleration does not respond well. Easy access to dash board componets. The light in my speedometer burned out. A full days job for the dealership in order to replace a $6 bulb.

Love this car!
By Doug

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

In the 30+ years I have owned cars, this is my first Ford and I love it. My 3 middle schoolers have more room in the back seat than Mom's Park Avenue. It handles very well, the CVT transmission is excellent. I am 6'2 and have plenty of room. More ponies would be nice, but it still gets up and goes! We like it so much, we are selling the wifes Buick and will purchase another 500, going with the Limited this time! For the money, it is a wonderful car. It rides well, handles great, lots of room and zooms down the road. I have always owned GM, so this is kind of tough for me!

Favorite Features

Cabin room, handling, styling

Suggested Improvements

None

Brake Problems With Ford Five Hundred!
By Dave

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased our Five Hundred in July 06 with 6000 miles. On our first trip I noticed a bad vibration during braking going down hills. I contacted the dealer and they said that a factory brake kit was needed to fix the problem. The kit consisted of new discs and pads. Now after approximately 16,000 miles after the replacement, the rear brake pads were shot and needed to be replaced for $200. I contacted Ford and they will not admit that there is a problem with the brake design. I've also had to have the gauge cluster replaced. I thought Ford finally had a "Better Idea". I guess I was wrong.

Favorite Features

Interior room.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the brake system! Rear brakes should not wear out before the front brakes at only 16,000 miles. This is a safety issue and Ford needs to admit it.

This car is a great deal
By BillU

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned the car for 6 weeks, 3800 miles. Average 25 mpg with a 60/40 city/highway mix of travel. Acceleration off the line is average, but where the CVT really shines is highway passing-instant torque puts you where you want to be. Car handles high speed very well. Interior nicely fits my 6'3" frame, trunk would bring a smile to a made man's face. Fit and finish very good. Very happy with the purchase, like it better now than when I first drove it.

Favorite Features

Clean styling, not faddish. Well done interior layout with good storage features. Room everywhere, comfort for everyone.

Suggested Improvements

Telescopic steering wheel adjustment, better audio controls, power and handling package - I'll buy the new 3.5l as soon as it's available.

I love my car
By oliver feria

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have been enjoying the car as much as possible. I feel good in the car because is a smooth drive and also give me style. Very comfortable and even though it doesn't give you the feel of performance car it is very responsive. I can say that the power is there with the acceleration in a smooth way that other don't give you.

Favorite Features

The space and the quietness of the interior. It's an awesome ride.

Suggested Improvements

So far none.