2005 Ford Five Hundred - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Five Hundred model:
Ford got it right
By BB on 09/15/05 14:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

What's not to like? The car is roomy, the ride is very smooth, the steering is quick and I get 29 mpg with regular gas. As for performance, I traded a Lincoln LS Sport V6 and the Five Hundred feels just as quick. I like the looks of the car, especially from the side but my gray SE interior is kind of plain compared to my friend's much more expensive Five Hundred Limited. People that get in my car are amazed at the rear seat room. My car has the CVT transmission and I've always seen 28 - 29 mpg in the 4,000 mile that I've driven the car (usually 65 mph or more with the A/C on).

Good Value
By Ted on 08/13/05 11:26 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have 2000 miles on my SE with CVT. I like the CVT a lot. Contrary to some reviews, I do not find the car under powered. I like sitting higher although the price for this might be less agility in parking ramps. Very comfortable highway car. Gas mileage first tank in mixed driving was 20.5 mgp. A lot of car for the price. At $8000 less than the Toyota Avelon a good deal.

By Family Man on 07/23/05 11:22 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This is a follow up report from 6/11/05. Just got back from sunny California. The trip from WA was a joy. We pulled 28 mpg and a low of 18 in stop and go (the 405 in LA stinks) with the A/C on most of the time. I had the window tinted in LA (35%) and that made the comfort in side even better. My teen age kid had no problem with some of the I5 drive back. This is a nice family car. The car now has 4500 miles on it.

Glad I bought it
By Fox on 07/16/05 22:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have older parents and was looking for a car that was comfortable, easy to get in and out of and with a trunk that could hold two walkers and a wheel chair. The Ford 500 does the trick. We love to drive it. It has great pick up and handles well. The interior is plain but everything is within easy reach. We wonder why we're the only people who know about them. We've only seen one other 500 in four months.

Buyer's Remorse?
By sam on 07/05/05 16:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Comfortable, but transmission was replaced -- after a big hassle with dealer. Had to rent a car (my car is leased). They put me through the ringer. I feel Ford needs to treat their customers better. I should have bought a Nissan.

Great New Design
By Russell Hylton on 06/11/05 21:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My wife and I looked and test drove several models of new cars before deciding on this purchase. We were very pleased by the roominess of the Ford Five Hundred and also the large amount of space available in the trunk. The test drive was a wonderful experience. The Five Hundred is very powerful for a car of this size and offers a smooth enjoyable ride and it handling is great! We have had our car almost 2 months now and are very pleased with it. We think Ford has a real winner in this model.

Room to grow
By Family Man on 06/11/05 10:48 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Just picked up our 500. My wife and daughter drove it for the first two days, city and some highway. Wife likes the ride and enjoys how high she can sit. The daughter is a teenager; need I say more? I get to drive it to work now, Round trip 80 miles 90% highway with speeds up to 65 mph. I like the ride! My first tank of gas got 25 mpg.

My new car
By craig arthor on 06/01/05 11:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We had been looking into this class of car for almost 3 months and had decided on the Ford 500, for looks, size and style. We are over 50 and the ease of getting in and out of the car was a blessing. The safety features, solid frame, crumble zones, hood fire blanket and interior trunk release were a pleasant surprise but they overall package was a joy. The handling, the brakes, the visibility are exceptional. The look and feel of luxury matched up with practicality is a good concept Ford should expand on. We had a Taurus that had 157,000 miles on it when we traded for the 500 and if it gives us the service the Taurus did, no one will miss hearing our praises.

Great car for the money
By Carguy44 on 05/31/05 15:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We recently bought this car and have put on our 1st 1000 miles. Averaging 27 MPG, really comfortable. High seating, sturdy Volvo chassis, comfortable ride, tight steering radius, huge interior space and good looks make it a worthy buy. Don't pay sticker price! We bought the SE base model for $19k (sticker is like $22,400) by taking an Internet offer in hand from another dealership to them. Performance is better than expected. 6 cylinder automatic transmission does a decent job of finding the right gear and getting you moving. Not a sports car, and it can lag getting onto highways or off the line, but it has everything you need when passing and regular driving.

Ford 500 a disappointment
By JG on 05/10/05 00:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

A real disappointment inside. Front seats are very uncomfortable. We did a six hour drive with two stops; both of our lower backs were sore. The seats are hard and don't support your lower back correctly. Driver side seat is not in alignment with the steering wheel. Drivers side has no room to extend left leg, passenger side has same problem - can't extend right leg because the front wheel wells are in the way. Very uncomfortable to drive any distance with your legs bent all the time. CVT transmission noisy, has outside wind noise over 50 mph like window open. Steering problems, rear doors at bottom by rear wheel wells paint chipping. Traded in a 2000 Ford Taurus. That was a better car than this 500.