Used 2005 Ford Five Hundred Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Five Hundred model:

Most Helpful|
We love it.
By George B

2005 Ford Five Hundred SEL AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

After hearing about this car on the internet,this was a planned purchase. In NC, sonetimes AWD sure is nice to have. We have had AWD for years in another car, but it is nice to get back to a sedan and nice to get back to Ford. No complaints.

Favorite Features

CVT, AWD, trunk & interior room, regular fuel, ride, claimed safety.

Suggested Improvements

(2 days old.) Too new to evaluate.

Transmission and brake pedal problems
By NotAFordFan

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This is my wife's car, and she is happier than I am. I'm 6'2", 275# and I find the seat lacks back support on long drives. My major problems are the transmission and the brake/gas pedals. We got the 6 speed with FWD for the mileage. I'm used to being able to use engine braking by using a lower gear in my car. This is not an option with the Five Hundred. We had some very hot brakes coming back down from the mountains. With my size 13 feet, I find the pedals too close together both laterally and vertically. With the spongy feel of the brakes, I've found myself pushing down on both pedals at the same time at stop lights. I was thinking about the Freestyle for me, but not with these problems.

Favorite Features

Higher seating position making it easier to get in and out. Lots of room in the trunk. It looks like a CAR, not like it came from the Hotwheels design center.

Suggested Improvements

Add another accessible transmission gear to make the brakes last longer. Stiffen the brake pedal response and/or adjust the relative positions of the brake and gas pedals to prevent overlap.

All Around good car
By tony

2005 Ford Five Hundred Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Overall a good car - It has a lot of features that I didn't expect for the price of the car. The "lack" of power is over-hyped. I found the power more than adequate for the size of the automobile. I test drove a Mercedes C240 V6 and it seemed to have less power then the Five Hundred. I believe it's automobile writers personal preference than actual performance. I would recommend this car - but please read suggested Improvements).

Favorite Features

Ease of use features. Smooth ride. Comfortable interior.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality; just as I drove the car off of the dealership an interior plastic cover popped off. Emergency Brake does not work -- I depressed it to the floor and it does not click into place. (The dealership indicated that they would fix it and the sales person seemed quite amazed - as did I).

Lost transmission at 72,000 miles
By dspindler

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Nuff said about that. I did research AFTER I bought the car. Had I realized the transmission failures were so common on the 05 I never would have bought it. I didn't realize this was the first year for the CVT. I believe that is why the 500 was moved to the Taraus nameplate. Ford told me to pound sand. Paid $4200 for new transmission. At least I got a 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty with it. Last Ford for me.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride, good sound system, 26 mpg on highway.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission (D'oh!)

Brake Problems With Ford Five Hundred!
By Dave

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased our Five Hundred in July 06 with 6000 miles. On our first trip I noticed a bad vibration during braking going down hills. I contacted the dealer and they said that a factory brake kit was needed to fix the problem. The kit consisted of new discs and pads. Now after approximately 16,000 miles after the replacement, the rear brake pads were shot and needed to be replaced for $200. I contacted Ford and they will not admit that there is a problem with the brake design. I've also had to have the gauge cluster replaced. I thought Ford finally had a "Better Idea". I guess I was wrong.

Favorite Features

Interior room.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the brake system! Rear brakes should not wear out before the front brakes at only 16,000 miles. This is a safety issue and Ford needs to admit it.