Used 2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan Consumer Reviews - 313 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Five Hundred model:

GREAT Car ... either for the price or even more
By abacuses

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I hit 110,000 this week and figured I would sing some praises after reading some of the other issues. 1st, the "downside." This car goes through the brakes. My dealer said that Volvo's are known for their safety; with that comes hard wear on the brake pads. Yes, this has the Volvo engine in it. I'm on my 5th set of pads and 2nd set of rotors. I started noticing a little bucking in drive-thru line s and traffic jams ...
always when the AC is on. Otherwise, no issues whatsoever and this has been my favorite car ever. I'm not a fan of the new Taurus, but I do love the Ford Edge. I continue to have great experiences with my Fords ... TAKE CARE OF THEM and they will do the same for you too.

Roomy interior, nice gas mileage, low service costs, HUGE trunk and lots of legroom in the back seat.

AC could use a bit more power behind it. Takes a while to cool off. The acceleration in first gear is lacking but great for passing. Brakes hard and wears out the pads, but that's a small price for excellent brakes.

Ford 500 Limited AWD at 125K Miles
By pkfloydlvr

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This car has been dependable and almost bullet proof. Will likely drive to 225K miles or more.

Transmission - I have the CVT transmission and service every 60K miles as per schedule. No issues at all. Local dealer shared stories of failed CVTs, but poor/late or no service led to problems/failure. Dealer has some fleet cars approaching 300K without CVT issues.

Brakes - The weakest system on the car, IMHO. Replaced brakes at 18K (warranty) and 32K. Recall took care of rear brakes. Went to aftermarket brakes and rotors and harder compounds. Longer life, but poorer performance. Currently getting about 65K on brake sets.

Ride - Original suspension.

Car is very roomy, and feels like more shoulder room than the new Taurus (but just my opinion). Mileage is great for a car this age and size. I get 23 combination city and highway, and 28 - 30 MPG highway at speed limit and no AC. Very reliable car. Replaced battery, plugs (at 100K - looked like new!), and regular maintenance. Brakes were an issue (see above). Looked at new Taurus, Edge, etc and decided to drive this car until it is time for the junk yard. It is a great car; wish Ford still made them exactly like the 2005 model.

Brakes, brakes, brakes. There is no sense in having such poor brake life.

Poor transmission
By menchaca

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SEL AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

bought with less than 30,000 miles.
pervious owner had great record keeping on maintenance.
Almost immediately started noticing weird things with transmission.
It is very hazardous.
Had a few close calls with car not speeding up when turning onto roads.
It is mainly acceleration problems.
Would not buy this or Taurus model in the future.
Probably not any ford model.
Ran into other owners with exact problem same problem.

Lost transmission at 72,000 miles
By dspindler

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Nuff said about that.
I did research AFTER I bought the car.
Had I realized the transmission failures were so common on the 05 I never would have bought it.
I didn't realize this was the first year for the CVT.
I believe that is why the 500 was moved to the Taraus nameplate.

Ford told me to pound sand.
Paid $4200 for new transmission.
At least I got a 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty with it.

Last Ford for me.

Comfortable ride, good sound system, 26 mpg on highway.

Transmission (D'oh!)

Showing Its Age
By brendan

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Now that this car has almost 50k miles on it, I'm hearing rattles and clunks on all but the smoothest roads. When I drive through parking lots, the car bucks a bit. There are large paint chips where there shouldn't be. I even think my gas mileage is suffering (never mind the mpg rating for this car is generous to begin with). A shame it's turning out this way, because when I bought it I felt I was driving a car worth twice what I paid.

Comfortable interior, great control in bad weather, perfect for highway commutes.

Doesn't matter now, does it? Check out the new Taurus.