Used 2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Five Hundred model:

You sure Ford made this?
By whatta ford

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This car is to be left stock. Bigger wheels slows it down. It handles well with the stock 215 60 17 but for a great upgrade you can go to a 235 55 17 without altering your odometer and making an amazing difference in conering(they are cheaper too). The factory radio is very blah but a local circuit city can add a rca converter, an amp kit with a small sub with enclosure for less than 300.00 and you got the bass fill the factory 5x7s do not pick up(do not waste your money on new door speakers). As for the motor its an off the line slug but the six speed is a champ on the freeway. Take your time and get 30 plus mpg on the freeway.And last tint your windows to help the big beasts car lines!

Favorite Features

Long range gas tank, reg unleaded, trunk for days, smooth everything, rides high for a sedan

Suggested Improvements

235 55 17 better stock tire size free remote start, nav package should be less.

Formal rental purchase
By formal rental

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought car for only 11k and worth every penny. I am sure this car was abused before I bought it and it still holds up very well as my commuter. Its big and brawny like a st bernard but without the teeth. If power and performance is what you are after your a fool to be looking at this car. But if you have a commute and you dont want lower back pain with very respectable freeway mileage this car is a winner. A trunk for the gotti family and a back seat for the prom date of your dreams this big beast is a regular unleaded running winner. Fyi my weekend toy is an 04 E55 thats a big reason I dont look to this car for any performance satisfaction.

Favorite Features

Runs on regular unleaded, freeway mileage is very Accord and Camry like. Comfort surpasses all the competition in price point.

Ford 500
By Sue

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I regret buying this car. There is no pick up, the quality of the interior is very poor, the gas mileage is horrible. I could hear and feel the brakes each time I pressed them. I could feel the axles moving in my car when I turned the steering wheel. In the 2 years that I have had this car, I have had to have the power steering pump replaced and the air conditioner fixed twice.

Favorite Features

Radio and very roomy back seat.

CVT Transmission = Worthless
By Dee

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Our family has owned many ford products but this one is a great disappointment. This car has been at a Ford dealership since June. The transmission went and Ford wants $5500 -$6500.00 to put in a new transmission that comes from China. Ford will not help in anyway. The looks beautiful but is not drivable. My daughter and I could have been killed on the turnpike because the car slipped into neutral when you tried to get above 50mph. Greatly disappointed with Ford.

Favorite Features

Exterior and interior

Suggested Improvements

Ford could use a transmission that is American made. Only the dealership is able to provide and care for this Trans. which makes it very costly.

Pepe1
By Pepe

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased this car for the leg room in the front and back seat area. Also for the trunk space. I realy liked the way the car looks and drives. I average 32 miles to the gallon with this car on the highway and about 22 in the city. I do a lot of road traveling and this car has never let me down for room, comfort and gas mileage. I true love this car.

Favorite Features

Room, trunk, and seating areas. The comfort of riding in this car is amazing. It is like floating on air.

Suggested Improvements

The center console is somewhat cramped. More room needed in the shifter area. Drink cups too close. Could be hieght seperated.