2005 Ford Five Hundred 3.0L V6 6-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews 2

2005 Ford Five Hundred - Consumer Reviews

SE Sedan (3.0L V6 6-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific Five Hundred model:
Ford 500 SE
By UMASS93 on 07/09/07 07:44 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Third Ford that I have owned - step up from the Taurus. Now Ford plans to name this the Taurus due to lack of name recognition for 2008. Best car to have if you have a family. Higher off the ground that most sedans and consistently rates as one of the safest vehicles in a front and side collison. Gas mileage is acceptable, I have over 80,000 miles on my 2005. Live in MD and work in PA - 75 miles one way - average 28 mpg highway - have to love cruise control.

Love this car!
By Doug on 05/04/07 10:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

In the 30+ years I have owned cars, this is my first Ford and I love it. My 3 middle schoolers have more room in the back seat than Mom's Park Avenue. It handles very well, the CVT transmission is excellent. I am 6'2 and have plenty of room. More ponies would be nice, but it still gets up and goes! We like it so much, we are selling the wifes Buick and will purchase another 500, going with the Limited this time! For the money, it is a wonderful car. It rides well, handles great, lots of room and zooms down the road. I have always owned GM, so this is kind of tough for me!

Brake Problems With Ford Five Hundred!
By Dave on 03/17/07 11:25 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased our Five Hundred in July 06 with 6000 miles. On our first trip I noticed a bad vibration during braking going down hills. I contacted the dealer and they said that a factory brake kit was needed to fix the problem. The kit consisted of new discs and pads. Now after approximately 16,000 miles after the replacement, the rear brake pads were shot and needed to be replaced for $200. I contacted Ford and they will not admit that there is a problem with the brake design. I've also had to have the gauge cluster replaced. I thought Ford finally had a "Better Idea". I guess I was wrong.

This car is a great deal
By BillU on 04/23/06 12:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned the car for 6 weeks, 3800 miles. Average 25 mpg with a 60/40 city/highway mix of travel. Acceleration off the line is average, but where the CVT really shines is highway passing-instant torque puts you where you want to be. Car handles high speed very well. Interior nicely fits my 6'3" frame, trunk would bring a smile to a made man's face. Fit and finish very good. Very happy with the purchase, like it better now than when I first drove it.

I love my car
By oliver feria on 04/18/06 16:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have been enjoying the car as much as possible. I feel good in the car because is a smooth drive and also give me style. Very comfortable and even though it doesn't give you the feel of performance car it is very responsive. I can say that the power is there with the acceleration in a smooth way that other don't give you.

Lemon FORD 500
By DR-DALE on 04/12/06 05:30 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased NEW March 28 2005 and it is now April 12 2006. The car has 4000 miles on it and is sitting unlicensed and unsafe to drive. Entire back end suspension and brakes have been replaced. Some items more than once. Last brake fix turned rotors down to 1/1000 over minimum. Tried to invoke Colorado Lemon Law, but Ford has arbitration clauses which precludes using legal remedy. You must use their designated arbitration service run by Ford Autoline (BBB subsidiary in Washington DC). This process is a sham and I still have the new car sitting unused. Ford Corporate Office tells me they are done fixing this car, which has 4000 miles on it and a 3 year warranty. Ford stonewalls certified letters.

Transmission and brake pedal problems
By NotAFordFan on 01/06/06 18:21 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This is my wife's car, and she is happier than I am. I'm 6'2", 275# and I find the seat lacks back support on long drives. My major problems are the transmission and the brake/gas pedals. We got the 6 speed with FWD for the mileage. I'm used to being able to use engine braking by using a lower gear in my car. This is not an option with the Five Hundred. We had some very hot brakes coming back down from the mountains. With my size 13 feet, I find the pedals too close together both laterally and vertically. With the spongy feel of the brakes, I've found myself pushing down on both pedals at the same time at stop lights. I was thinking about the Freestyle for me, but not with these problems.

500 is a lot of car for the money
By Jim on 12/18/05 09:29 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I just got my 500 and with all rebates it is a lot of car for the money. The size and ride are great and the fuel cost is the best for a large car. So far my 500 has had no problems.

Inspect It Carefully!
By James S. on 12/03/05 12:31 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The Bad: Our white 500 had massive problems with areas of the car not being painted (primer showing through) and with paint runs/defects. Lower front bumper, door jams, inside trunk areas etc. It also had problems with the sheet metal along the rear door seams and rear quarter panel being deformed. There's also the issue of the notorious heat bubble that shows up on the center dashboard console that Ford will not currently fix due to a "pending solution." Next you have the gas tank strap recall that is also pending. The Good: The fuel mileage and cruising range are very good for a car of this size. Achieved 550+ miles on highway trips from the 20 gallon tank. Transmission is impressive.

The 500 after 6 months
By Chuck on 11/10/05 14:37 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my 500 in May 2005. I previously owned a Lincoln Town Car and was looking for a car to retire with. The size of the 500 was just right and its price didn't take much of a bite. After my initial test drive I was sold. The fit and finish of this car was as good as any I had seen. The CVT transmission is one of the smoothest I have ever experienced. Granted the interior leaves a bit to be desired but the economy and performance is right on. I have read some reviews that said it was under-powered. I don't find this so. The 50 to 80 passing speeds are so quick that you hardly realize that you have achieved 80 when passing. With my six months with the 500 I have had no problems.