Used 2005 Ford Five Hundred Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Five Hundred - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Five Hundred model:

Poor transmission
By menchaca

2005 Ford Five Hundred SEL AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

bought with less than 30,000 miles. pervious owner had great record keeping on maintenance. Almost immediately started noticing weird things with transmission. It is very hazardous. Had a few close calls with car not speeding up when turning onto roads. It is mainly acceleration problems. Would not buy this or Taurus model in the future. Probably not any ford model. Ran into other owners with exact problem same problem.

Lost transmission at 72,000 miles
By dspindler

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Nuff said about that. I did research AFTER I bought the car. Had I realized the transmission failures were so common on the 05 I never would have bought it. I didn't realize this was the first year for the CVT. I believe that is why the 500 was moved to the Taraus nameplate. Ford told me to pound sand. Paid $4200 for new transmission. At least I got a 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty with it. Last Ford for me.

Comfortable ride, good sound system, 26 mpg on highway.

Transmission (D'oh!)

Showing Its Age
By brendan

2005 Ford Five Hundred Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Now that this car has almost 50k miles on it, I'm hearing rattles and clunks on all but the smoothest roads. When I drive through parking lots, the car bucks a bit. There are large paint chips where there shouldn't be. I even think my gas mileage is suffering (never mind the mpg rating for this car is generous to begin with). A shame it's turning out this way, because when I bought it I felt I was driving a car worth twice what I paid.

Comfortable interior, great control in bad weather, perfect for highway commutes.

Doesn't matter now, does it? Check out the new Taurus.

3 years in my 500
By shadma5

2005 Ford Five Hundred Limited Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought in the spring for a road trip with my brother and our wives.Plenty of room and economy was good. Above 30 MPG on the western planes going plenty fast. Had one warranty issue, transmission shifting hard and erratic. Also had a recall on back brakes. Now with 90k am having loud suspension knocks when on rough pavement. I do like and will look to upgrade to the new Taurus next year

Roomy interior and good handling.

More power on the low end. Suspension bushings should be designed for longer life. At least 7years and 200K.

Awesome
By Bigdaddy

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

In looking at the other reviews I must have gotten the best of the bunch. Aside from the initial rear brake problem, this car has been great. The transmission has worked flawlessly and the ride is fantastic. To fix the brake problem I went to my local parts store and purchased another brand of brakes and they have not had to be changed as frequently as before and work great! Can't say enough about the car. I would buy another but not for the $30,000.00+ price tag.