Used 2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Sedan Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan

View reviews for a specific Five Hundred model:

220,345 miles 2005 SEL
By Aaron

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car in 2013 with 175k for 5k. I haven't had to fix a thing. Runs perfect and very comfy ride. Zero rust. Weak in the power but I don't care. I drive a lot for work so I just need a reliable car with a great ride. This car is perfect for that.

Great balance of quality for the price
By mhaden

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2005 Ford Five Hundred SE in the fall of 2009 with 100,000 miles on it and currently have 170,000 after 3 years. The car has tremendous interior cabin space, and it has been a reliable car. I did stay away from the CVT transmission on purpose because of the problems reported by many. You don't realize how quiet and smooth the ride is until you test-drive something else. My wife and I are looking for another vehicle and find many fuel efficient cars (camry, civic, etc..) to be noisy and you give up a lot of comfort. I think I am going to find another used Ford Five hundred for her around $5,000-6,000. Great car

Spacious cabin Driver's seat comfort Reliability Economically priced Engine/horspower

Gas mileage 17" wheels (tires are much more expensive)

Lost transmission at 72,000 miles
By dspindler

Nuff said about that.
I did research AFTER I bought the car.
Had I realized the transmission failures were so common on the 05 I never would have bought it.
I didn't realize this was the first year for the CVT.
I believe that is why the 500 was moved to the Taraus nameplate.

Ford told me to pound sand.
Paid $4200 for new transmission.
At least I got a 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty with it.

Last Ford for me.

Comfortable ride, good sound system, 26 mpg on highway.

Transmission (D'oh!)

Awesome
By Bigdaddy

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

In looking at the other reviews I must have gotten the best of the bunch. Aside from the initial rear brake problem, this car has been great. The transmission has worked flawlessly and the ride is fantastic. To fix the brake problem I went to my local parts store and purchased another brand of brakes and they have not had to be changed as frequently as before and work great! Can't say enough about the car. I would buy another but not for the $30,000.00+ price tag.

It's a great car
By Tim

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I go though a lot of cars with my job. This is my first Ford since 1979 and I really like this car. Now I'm driving 220 miles a day and it is very comfortable. I have 135,000 miles on it. Never had to do anything to it, expect tires, oil,brakes. No belts or spark plugs ever changed. These car were built on the volvo chassis. I don't buy into people saying it is under powered. I have the speeding tickets to prove them wrong. It will 90 to 100 mph all day long and still get 27 mpg.

Change the name back to Five Hundred