2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Five Hundred model:
Great balance of quality for the price
By mhaden on 01/26/13 07:44 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2005 Ford Five Hundred SE in the fall of 2009 with 100,000 miles on it and currently have 170,000 after 3 years. The car has tremendous interior cabin space, and it has been a reliable car. I did stay away from the CVT transmission on purpose because of the problems reported by many. You don't realize how quiet and smooth the ride is until you test-drive something else. My wife and I are looking for another vehicle and find many fuel efficient cars (camry, civic, etc..) to be noisy and you give up a lot of comfort. I think I am going to find another used Ford Five hundred for her around $5,000-6,000. Great car

Lost transmission at 72,000 miles
By dspindler on 12/24/10 07:44 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Nuff said about that. I did research AFTER I bought the car. Had I realized the transmission failures were so common on the 05 I never would have bought it. I didn't realize this was the first year for the CVT. I believe that is why the 500 was moved to the Taraus nameplate. Ford told me to pound sand. Paid $4200 for new transmission. At least I got a 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty with it. Last Ford for me.

Awesome
By Bigdaddy on 08/12/10 08:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

In looking at the other reviews I must have gotten the best of the bunch. Aside from the initial rear brake problem, this car has been great. The transmission has worked flawlessly and the ride is fantastic. To fix the brake problem I went to my local parts store and purchased another brand of brakes and they have not had to be changed as frequently as before and work great! Can't say enough about the car. I would buy another but not for the $30,000.00+ price tag.

It's a great car
By Tim on 02/05/10 05:03 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I go though a lot of cars with my job. This is my first Ford since 1979 and I really like this car. Now I'm driving 220 miles a day and it is very comfortable. I have 135,000 miles on it. Never had to do anything to it, expect tires, oil,brakes. No belts or spark plugs ever changed. These car were built on the volvo chassis. I don't buy into people saying it is under powered. I have the speeding tickets to prove them wrong. It will 90 to 100 mph all day long and still get 27 mpg.

some problems
By wayne on 10/14/09 13:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

nice car to ride in and drive, but have had problem. rt rear brake hung up wearing out entire brake assembly at 28000 mi. now, today found out rt front bearing/axle assembly wore out. cost over 500 $. these things should not wear out this soon under normal driving. now have 38800 miles and glad i purchased extended warranty.

You sure Ford made this?
By whatta ford on 12/10/08 22:02 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This car is to be left stock. Bigger wheels slows it down. It handles well with the stock 215 60 17 but for a great upgrade you can go to a 235 55 17 without altering your odometer and making an amazing difference in conering(they are cheaper too). The factory radio is very blah but a local circuit city can add a rca converter, an amp kit with a small sub with enclosure for less than 300.00 and you got the bass fill the factory 5x7s do not pick up(do not waste your money on new door speakers). As for the motor its an off the line slug but the six speed is a champ on the freeway. Take your time and get 30 plus mpg on the freeway.And last tint your windows to help the big beasts car lines!

Formal rental purchase
By formal rental on 02/05/08 16:42 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought car for only 11k and worth every penny. I am sure this car was abused before I bought it and it still holds up very well as my commuter. Its big and brawny like a st bernard but without the teeth. If power and performance is what you are after your a fool to be looking at this car. But if you have a commute and you dont want lower back pain with very respectable freeway mileage this car is a winner. A trunk for the gotti family and a back seat for the prom date of your dreams this big beast is a regular unleaded running winner. Fyi my weekend toy is an 04 E55 thats a big reason I dont look to this car for any performance satisfaction.

Ford 500
By Sue on 01/02/08 14:25 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I regret buying this car. There is no pick up, the quality of the interior is very poor, the gas mileage is horrible. I could hear and feel the brakes each time I pressed them. I could feel the axles moving in my car when I turned the steering wheel. In the 2 years that I have had this car, I have had to have the power steering pump replaced and the air conditioner fixed twice.

CVT Transmission = Worthless
By Dee on 12/29/07 08:47 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Our family has owned many ford products but this one is a great disappointment. This car has been at a Ford dealership since June. The transmission went and Ford wants $5500 -$6500.00 to put in a new transmission that comes from China. Ford will not help in anyway. The looks beautiful but is not drivable. My daughter and I could have been killed on the turnpike because the car slipped into neutral when you tried to get above 50mph. Greatly disappointed with Ford.

Pepe1
By Pepe on 07/11/07 09:31 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased this car for the leg room in the front and back seat area. Also for the trunk space. I realy liked the way the car looks and drives. I average 32 miles to the gallon with this car on the highway and about 22 in the city. I do a lot of road traveling and this car has never let me down for room, comfort and gas mileage. I true love this car.