2005 Ford Five Hundred - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Five Hundred model:
It was a great car
By txoldmf on 09/22/14 18:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SEL Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The car never gave us to many problem. They do have problem areas, headlight socket over heat, air compressor are weak. Engine strut support break easy. The big problem is the instrument panel. A problem Ford, and the NTSA knows about. The problem is weak solder joints. Ours went out, Total cost for parts and labor 1300, A third of the value of the car.

transmission problems
By meetball1 on 02/15/13 07:36 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SEL AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased my 07 FFH SEL in April of 2012 with 33,000mi on it, and I have noticed that the tranni slips when I accelerate from a complete stop, or from 1-2mph. But not all the time. Most of the time it's a nice ride. I have to treat her like a baby. And now at 54,000mi they are telling me I need to replace the brakes. I just got this car less than a year ago! I had to sell my F150, because someone hit me from behind and sheered back the steal back bumper. So I got rid of it . But it was a beautiful truck, except I had to replace the transmission at around 95,000-98,000mi. on that one. I have read that ford overall has had tranni problems though. I should have known to check the FH.

Great balance of quality for the price
By mhaden on 01/26/13 07:44 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2005 Ford Five Hundred SE in the fall of 2009 with 100,000 miles on it and currently have 170,000 after 3 years. The car has tremendous interior cabin space, and it has been a reliable car. I did stay away from the CVT transmission on purpose because of the problems reported by many. You don't realize how quiet and smooth the ride is until you test-drive something else. My wife and I are looking for another vehicle and find many fuel efficient cars (camry, civic, etc..) to be noisy and you give up a lot of comfort. I think I am going to find another used Ford Five hundred for her around $5,000-6,000. Great car

GREAT Car ... either for the price or even more
By abacuses on 08/29/12 12:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SEL Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I hit 110,000 this week and figured I would sing some praises after reading some of the other issues. 1st, the "downside." This car goes through the brakes. My dealer said that Volvo's are known for their safety; with that comes hard wear on the brake pads. Yes, this has the Volvo engine in it. I'm on my 5th set of pads and 2nd set of rotors. I started noticing a little bucking in drive-thru line s and traffic jams ... always when the AC is on. Otherwise, no issues whatsoever and this has been my favorite car ever. I'm not a fan of the new Taurus, but I do love the Ford Edge. I continue to have great experiences with my Fords ... TAKE CARE OF THEM and they will do the same for you too.

Ford 500 Limited AWD at 125K Miles
By pkfloydlvr on 08/13/12 11:44 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This car has been dependable and almost bullet proof. Will likely drive to 225K miles or more. Transmission - I have the CVT transmission and service every 60K miles as per schedule. No issues at all. Local dealer shared stories of failed CVTs, but poor/late or no service led to problems/failure. Dealer has some fleet cars approaching 300K without CVT issues. Brakes - The weakest system on the car, IMHO. Replaced brakes at 18K (warranty) and 32K. Recall took care of rear brakes. Went to aftermarket brakes and rotors and harder compounds. Longer life, but poorer performance. Currently getting about 65K on brake sets. Ride - Original suspension.

Poor transmission
By menchaca on 01/06/12 14:58 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SEL AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

bought with less than 30,000 miles. pervious owner had great record keeping on maintenance. Almost immediately started noticing weird things with transmission. It is very hazardous. Had a few close calls with car not speeding up when turning onto roads. It is mainly acceleration problems. Would not buy this or Taurus model in the future. Probably not any ford model. Ran into other owners with exact problem same problem.

Lost transmission at 72,000 miles
By dspindler on 12/24/10 07:44 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Nuff said about that. I did research AFTER I bought the car. Had I realized the transmission failures were so common on the 05 I never would have bought it. I didn't realize this was the first year for the CVT. I believe that is why the 500 was moved to the Taraus nameplate. Ford told me to pound sand. Paid $4200 for new transmission. At least I got a 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty with it. Last Ford for me.

Showing Its Age
By brendan on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Now that this car has almost 50k miles on it, I'm hearing rattles and clunks on all but the smoothest roads. When I drive through parking lots, the car bucks a bit. There are large paint chips where there shouldn't be. I even think my gas mileage is suffering (never mind the mpg rating for this car is generous to begin with). A shame it's turning out this way, because when I bought it I felt I was driving a car worth twice what I paid.

3 years in my 500
By shadma5 on 08/24/10 15:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred Limited Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought in the spring for a road trip with my brother and our wives.Plenty of room and economy was good. Above 30 MPG on the western planes going plenty fast. Had one warranty issue, transmission shifting hard and erratic. Also had a recall on back brakes. Now with 90k am having loud suspension knocks when on rough pavement. I do like and will look to upgrade to the new Taurus next year

Awesome
By Bigdaddy on 08/12/10 08:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

In looking at the other reviews I must have gotten the best of the bunch. Aside from the initial rear brake problem, this car has been great. The transmission has worked flawlessly and the ride is fantastic. To fix the brake problem I went to my local parts store and purchased another brand of brakes and they have not had to be changed as frequently as before and work great! Can't say enough about the car. I would buy another but not for the $30,000.00+ price tag.