Used 2005 Ford Five Hundred Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Five Hundred - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Five Hundred model:

It was a great car
By txoldmf

2005 Ford Five Hundred SEL Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The car never gave us to many problem. They do have problem areas, headlight socket over heat, air compressor are weak. Engine strut support break easy. The big problem is the instrument panel. A problem Ford, and the NTSA knows about. The problem is weak solder joints. Ours went out, Total cost for parts and labor 1300, A third of the value of the car.

You will be surprised at roominess of the car. Fold down the back seat and you can fit a 8 foot ladder in it. While it not a performance car, it does get you around quick. Our get about 30 on the highway. We live in Texas,105 in the summer and snow in the winter, I love the traction control.

The electronics, a dash panel dyeing with less than 80 thousand mile on it. I have 70 f-100 ,and it still works great.

transmission problems
By meetball1

2005 Ford Five Hundred SEL AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased my 07 FFH SEL in April of 2012 with 33,000mi on it, and I have noticed that the tranni slips when I accelerate from a complete stop, or from 1-2mph. But not all the time. Most of the time it's a nice ride. I have to treat her like a baby. And now at 54,000mi they are telling me I need to replace the brakes. I just got this car less than a year ago! I had to sell my F150, because someone hit me from behind and sheered back the steal back bumper. So I got rid of it . But it was a beautiful truck, except I had to replace the transmission at around 95,000-98,000mi. on that one. I have read that ford overall has had tranni problems though. I should have known to check the FH.

It's an amazingly comfortable ride with more amazing leg room in both front and back. My friends and family had commented that it felt like they were riding in the "presidents" car. lol. I have added a few cosmetic extra's to the exterior that I liked and it looks great. And the color is a nice neutral color, sort of an aqua green color, that looks good with the chrome highlights I've added to it. It's the perfect poor man's luxury car.....

Ford could stand to improve on their transmissions overall. But I think the ford five hundred is perfect except for the brakes and transmission problems. Also, I would like to see better speakers. Ford five hundred has a nice little stereo, but the speakers can't seem to handle the output. If they ever bring back the five hundred with those few improvements, I would love to trade this one for a new one. I'm sticking with ford though.

Great balance of quality for the price
By mhaden

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2005 Ford Five Hundred SE in the fall of 2009 with 100,000 miles on it and currently have 170,000 after 3 years. The car has tremendous interior cabin space, and it has been a reliable car. I did stay away from the CVT transmission on purpose because of the problems reported by many. You don't realize how quiet and smooth the ride is until you test-drive something else. My wife and I are looking for another vehicle and find many fuel efficient cars (camry, civic, etc..) to be noisy and you give up a lot of comfort. I think I am going to find another used Ford Five hundred for her around $5,000-6,000. Great car

Spacious cabin Driver's seat comfort Reliability Economically priced Engine/horspower

Gas mileage 17" wheels (tires are much more expensive)

GREAT Car ... either for the price or even more
By abacuses

2005 Ford Five Hundred SEL Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I hit 110,000 this week and figured I would sing some praises after reading some of the other issues. 1st, the "downside." This car goes through the brakes. My dealer said that Volvo's are known for their safety; with that comes hard wear on the brake pads. Yes, this has the Volvo engine in it. I'm on my 5th set of pads and 2nd set of rotors. I started noticing a little bucking in drive-thru line s and traffic jams ... always when the AC is on. Otherwise, no issues whatsoever and this has been my favorite car ever. I'm not a fan of the new Taurus, but I do love the Ford Edge. I continue to have great experiences with my Fords ... TAKE CARE OF THEM and they will do the same for you too.

Roomy interior, nice gas mileage, low service costs, HUGE trunk and lots of legroom in the back seat.

AC could use a bit more power behind it. Takes a while to cool off. The acceleration in first gear is lacking but great for passing. Brakes hard and wears out the pads, but that's a small price for excellent brakes.

Ford 500 Limited AWD at 125K Miles
By pkfloydlvr

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This car has been dependable and almost bullet proof. Will likely drive to 225K miles or more. Transmission - I have the CVT transmission and service every 60K miles as per schedule. No issues at all. Local dealer shared stories of failed CVTs, but poor/late or no service led to problems/failure. Dealer has some fleet cars approaching 300K without CVT issues. Brakes - The weakest system on the car, IMHO. Replaced brakes at 18K (warranty) and 32K. Recall took care of rear brakes. Went to aftermarket brakes and rotors and harder compounds. Longer life, but poorer performance. Currently getting about 65K on brake sets. Ride - Original suspension.

Car is very roomy, and feels like more shoulder room than the new Taurus (but just my opinion). Mileage is great for a car this age and size. I get 23 combination city and highway, and 28 - 30 MPG highway at speed limit and no AC. Very reliable car. Replaced battery, plugs (at 100K - looked like new!), and regular maintenance. Brakes were an issue (see above). Looked at new Taurus, Edge, etc and decided to drive this car until it is time for the junk yard. It is a great car; wish Ford still made them exactly like the 2005 model.

Brakes, brakes, brakes. There is no sense in having such poor brake life.