Think before you buy this car
By avatheps on
2013 Ford Fiesta SE 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)
I bought the car new on May 1st 2013 and have driven it over 7500 miles. Most of the miles were driven during an extended trip to all points south of NY state. All highway conditions were experienced most being I81 and I95. Wet and windy conditions were frequent. I found several issues that I did not like and was happy with others. I will try and touch on most of them as briefly as possible due to the limited space available. My overall rating of this car is a 3 out of 5. This based on my thorough testing of this car in comparison with 49 years of driving experience and having owned many cars of all types. This car performs best in flat terrain. Do not buy it if you live on a hill.
Favorite Features
The biggest sell here is the gas mileage. I keep thorough records and during the trip to Florida spent just over $80 on gas. I spent almost identical amount on return trip. We received many compliments from strangers wherever we went. We have the Lime Squeeze color which grows on you after awhile. We found plenty of room for our suitcases, electric cooler, coffee pot, wife's knitting bag, and loads of other stuff we needed for a 2 month stay. I am 6' 180lbs and had no problem fitting comfortably and driving up to 12 hours on the first leg of the trip. I enjoyed the 5 speed manual shifting routine. The cruise control is very basic, but performed well once I got used to it.
Suggested Improvements
This car is the most underpowered auto I have ever driven. It cannot go up the hill we live on unless I downshift to 3rd. When it is raining the performance is noticeably worse with chugging and skipping constantly the rule. The on board GPS is worthless and could not stay connected even on straight long highway stretches. The sync system is garbage as well and we never could get it to perform right. The Sirius radio is another item I can do without. It is the same music over and over. Once you hear each channel you pretty much have heard everything. If they would keep these features out and take those $ off the sticker price it would be a bit better. Needs another armrest or two.