OK Subcompact, Needs slight changes- Automatic, not 5-speed
By commuter247 on
2013 Ford Fiesta SE 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)
I bought this car 9/20/12 and have put over 31,000 miles on it, in a mix of city, back roads (northern New England) and highway. Probably 25%/ 40%/ 35% if I had to break it down. I am in this car up to 8 hours a day. I am 5'7" and mostly torso. I have owned all Fords. The car handles great- my favorite roads are empty, curvy back roads. I have driven in all but 1 snow storm since I bought this car and I have every confidence in this vehicle in the weather. The clearance is higher than the Focus by about 1.5", which helps in a storm. I have gotten hung up on an ice shelf once, but it's to be expected in a FWD. I recommend this car for a 1-2 person ride, but expect to make concessions.
Favorite Features
High clearance= great for New England snow. The way the car sits is also great for those with knee/ back problems- there is no crawling out of this car. I average 37 MPG, with the aforementioned driving breakdowns. And I am usually the only added weight in the car. Fuel economy does not go down much with passengers though. The radio control on the steering wheel is convenient. Outstanding trunk space for the size of the car. I have been in winter weather accidents and I have never had any fears driving this car in heavy snow conditions. Great commuter in all weather.
Suggested Improvements
Oh where to start . . . again, know what you're buying. This is a sub-compact. The back seats have very limited space. I have driven with a 6' person in the back seat, but had to pull the front seat up very far to accommodate his knees. I would like to see a few more inches. With the inches gained in the back, I would like to see the front seat tracks expanded to go further back. I find the driver's seat too close for comfort to the steering wheel. The cup holders are in the most idiotic spot, beside the driver. They should be forward more. The headrests in new American cars lean too far forward. I do not need to look at my crotch while driving. This has led to neck pain.