2012 Ford Fiesta Consumer Review: I want to love this car...but

2012 Ford Fiesta Sedan - Consumer Review

I want to love this car...but I just can't
By ipman501 on

2012 Ford Fiesta S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car brand new from the dealership (figured its cheaper to buy a new car and make payments instead of buying used and continually having to make repairs). Everything was fine up to about 8k miles. Then we started noticing weird transmission stuff (more on that later). Noticed weather-stripping on top of car is now coming loose (only 18k miles on the car). Not very comfortable, seats are hard. But I get 39mpg on the highway and 29mpg in the city. That is definitely the redeeming quality of the car. My wife wanted it because of the "Candy Blue" color, haha. No cruise control is kinda a deal breaker for me. Shouldn't that be standard in this day-in-age?

Definitely the high gas mileage. Big trunk space for such a small car.

Transmission is crap. The new "dual-dry clutch" automatic manual is a joke. Yes, this car is considered an "automatic" but it really is a manual transmission that shifts automatically. We have had problems with the car lurching and halting, sounding like the transmission is grinding while going uphill and seemingly high RPMs on the highway 2800 going 70mph. Seems a bit high for me, but that may be how it is designed. This car doesn't even have 20k miles on it and it is already having tranny trouble? Not good...not to mention the weather-stripping that is on the roof is coming up at the front. Unacceptable.
By airjer1
on 01/11/14 17:09 PM (PST)

I just purchased a Race Red 2012 Ford Fiesta SES Hatchback. I bought it certified used, so I got a 100,000 mile/7 year extended warranty at no extra cost. The only drawback on the car is that it has 41454 miles on it. That's a lot of mile!! But the car looks, and so far, drives like a brand new vehicle. I am concerned, though, that the transmission is doing some wierd thumping shifting at a very low speed while just starting out. But, who cares, if the transmission continues to some these wierd stuff, I'll bring it in and under my new bumper-to-bumper 100,000 mile warranty, I'll have them replace the damn transmission.