Fun to Drive but Squealing Clutch
By cventrice on
2012 Ford Fiesta S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)
Overall, I like the performance and design features of my Ford Fiesta. The base S model is very affordable and it comes with several features such as ABS and stability control that are not normally standard in the base model. The car is a little slow in city driving but handles and accelerates well on the highway. Unfortunately, the car that I bought has had persistent problems with a squealing noise when the clutch pedal is depressed. It started the morning after I purchased the car. The dealer replaced the slave cylinder/throwout bearing assembly after 600 miles. It squealed again the morning after I picked the car up and has been intermittently squealing ever since then.
Favorite Features
The vehicle gets excellent gas mileage. I have been averaging a little over 30 mpg in the city. The trunk is quite spacious for a subcompact car, and the rear seats fold down, which gives even more room to haul larger items. The stereo sounds great and also has an automatic volume adjustment system.
Suggested Improvements
Although I have only owned the car for a little over a month and have driven only 1,000 miles, it has been at the dealer three times: once to evaluate the clutch squeal, once to replace the slave cylinder/throwout bearing, and once to fix a stuck brake caliper and reevaluate the clutch squeal problem. An internet search has found that several other Fiesta owners have also had clutch squeal problems. Hopefully, this problem will eventually be resolved since I really enjoy the performance and features of the vehicle.
By cventrice
on 01/24/13 20:16 PM (PST)

I thought that I would give an update on the clutch squeal problem that my Fiesta developed just after I purchased it. Ford has redesigned the slave cylinder/throwout bearing assembly for the Fiesta and issued a TSB in October 2012. I had the assembly replaced in November 2012, and the clutch has been operating flawlessly without any squealing ever since.