Used 2012 Ford Fiesta SEL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Fiesta - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Fiesta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Fiesta model:

Adaptive Transmission and Poor Gas consumption issues
By coach_dizzy

2012 Ford Fiesta Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased the 2012 Ford Fiesta SE (Auto) in August of last year. Since we have put on over 33,000 km on it. Never had a issue with until last week. While accelerating there seemed to be a slip or clunk in the transmission and there would be no acceleration for a very brief period of time. We also started to notice a dramatic drop in our MPG. The first 8 months of use we would get around 650km per tank of gas on a mixed driving terrain. Now we are lucky to push 425km per tank. Dealer says it was the ATC and said it is fixed now. We will see. I really hope the gas consumption gets resolved.

Favorite Features

Was great on gas, great sound system, hands free Microsoft voice command is perfect and trunk space is good for a small vehicle. It handles very well and looks sporty.

Suggested Improvements

Storage space inside the vehicle (between the driver and passenger seats), power door lock button should be on the door panel and not only on the center dash console. There are no handles on the roof liner to help passengers in and out of the car, and space can be a little cramped in the back.

The best car under $18,000
By brandonh3

2012 Ford Fiesta Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is the most fun on 4 wheels I've ever had. I let people drive my car and they compare it to a high performance mini-sports sedan. The thing corners like it's on rails, gets over 40mpg regularly, has one of the BEST sounding stereo systems from the factory and has safety features out the wazoo. The up and coming 2014 Fiesta ST will be incredible. My car, with 120hp, accelerates fine. I can't imagine it with almost 200hp!!

Favorite Features

Ride quality and comfort, awesome sounding stereo, ability to stream in Pandora wirelessly through bluetooth with all needed controls right there on the steering wheel, bluetooth to make phone calls using the car and never even needing to touch the phone, very good headlights, shift light on the dash, heated seats will burn your bottom! Ability to run a vehicle health report from the vehicle while cruising down the highway, that you can obtain once you stop and have internet access. You can also get free turn-by-turn directions from Sync. The distance the remote key thingy works from the car is incredible, over 200 feet!

Suggested Improvements

Ok, I'm really being picky here, but the transmission has the engine at about 3200rpm at 75mph. That's a little steep, considering the automated manual version of this car is turning about 2600 at the same speed. But I still get over 40mpg at that RPM! Maybe they could put some button or lever to open the trunk from inside the car, right now the only way into it is either folding down the rear seats or using the key dongle thingy.

More than what you expect, but know what you are buying
By chicoandee

2012 Ford Fiesta Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

First, I must say that I've read some horrible reviews on the transmission of this car. It is sold as an automatic, but it is actually a manual with a computer controlled clutching system. It ran well until about 500 miles when after it broke in, some hesitation in shifting and noises could be heard - just like a manual transmission. This is normal but the dealers should be upfront about this. Other than that, MPG is as advertised, it has lots of interior creature comforts, and overall I am very happy with the car.

Favorite Features

Interior design, Sync, comfort, visability, size, MPG, huge trunk, good sounding stereo system, very affordable.

Suggested Improvements

Make automatic transmissions an available choice or allow the driver to switch between economy and performance modes. The 3-year warranty is pretty weak compared to comparable cars - we need 5 years! Especially with a transmission that has been newly developed and has unknown reliability.