Used 2012 Ford Fiesta S Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Fiesta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fiesta model:

Stay Away from Ford!
By lrperki

2012 Ford Fiesta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Ford Fiesta brand new in 2012. Since then we've had multiple issues. The stereo system only operates properly 50% of the time. The car has cut off on us twice and the dealership doesn't know what causes it but after a day or two it turns on again (terrifying). The transmission has always had issues and had to be REPLACED this year after only 2.5 years... And to top it all off the car shut off in the middle of a very busy street this week and the dealership has yet to determine the issue. We are NEVER getting in the car again and buying a new vehicle. We will never buy a Ford again. STAY AWAY!

I want to love this car...but I just can't
By ipman501

2012 Ford Fiesta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car brand new from the dealership (figured its cheaper to buy a new car and make payments instead of buying used and continually having to make repairs). Everything was fine up to about 8k miles. Then we started noticing weird transmission stuff (more on that later). Noticed weather-stripping on top of car is now coming loose (only 18k miles on the car). Not very comfortable, seats are hard. But I get 39mpg on the highway and 29mpg in the city. That is definitely the redeeming quality of the car. My wife wanted it because of the "Candy Blue" color, haha. No cruise control is kinda a deal breaker for me. Shouldn't that be standard in this day-in-age?

Definitely the high gas mileage. Big trunk space for such a small car.

Transmission is crap. The new "dual-dry clutch" automatic manual is a joke. Yes, this car is considered an "automatic" but it really is a manual transmission that shifts automatically. We have had problems with the car lurching and halting, sounding like the transmission is grinding while going uphill and seemingly high RPMs on the highway 2800 going 70mph. Seems a bit high for me, but that may be how it is designed. This car doesn't even have 20k miles on it and it is already having tranny trouble? Not good...not to mention the weather-stripping that is on the roof is coming up at the front. Unacceptable.

Throttle Broken at 45K highway miles
By jt18

2012 Ford Fiesta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Driven gently, and properly maintained, this vehicle has only given me a few problems. The arm rest broke after one year, I'm not a big person and I didn't abuse the arm rest, it just broke one day when I leaned on it to adjust the seat. The throttle body started failing after about 40K miles, idling erratically, lurching on the highway, stalling at stoplights and randomly racing the engine while idling. Took it to be repaired, of course it is NOT covered under the power train warranty. Cost $900 to repair! Strange, I would have expected the throttle box to be considered part of the power train. It does handle fairly well in rain and snow as long as it's not too deep.

Steering Knock
By 100peter

2012 Ford Fiesta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have a Fiesta Zetec with a 1.4 TCI engine. I have had this car since 2010 and until early this year I have had no problems. A knock started to appear when I turned the steering in either direction. The vehicle was taken to both a Ford garage and an indepndent garage but despite changing the tie bar links the knock was still present, and after the vehicle had been lifted off its wheels the knock was more excessive. I discovered the cause of the problem and have informed both garages of what I had discovered. By unlocking the steering wheen height adjuster and lowering the steering wheel by a very small amount (5mm) the knock has been resolved.

Problems, Problems, Problems
By ian_labell

2012 Ford Fiesta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

After purchasing in May of '12, the first problem arose after only 4000 miles. The clutch was making a squeaking noise when being used. I had to take it to the dealer twice, wasting two days before they would fix the problem, which happened to be an adjustment. Then at 30000 I noticed fluid leaking from the vehicle. Turns out it is the front axle, and the dealer won't be able to get me in until next week, and stated "well it should be fine until then." I thought Ford had made large strides in building better more reliable cars but I was incorrect. Never buy a Ford product, you WILL be let down.