2012 Ford Fiesta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fiesta model:
I want to love this car...but I just can't
By ipman501 on 10/24/13 06:33 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car brand new from the dealership (figured its cheaper to buy a new car and make payments instead of buying used and continually having to make repairs). Everything was fine up to about 8k miles. Then we started noticing weird transmission stuff (more on that later). Noticed weather-stripping on top of car is now coming loose (only 18k miles on the car). Not very comfortable, seats are hard. But I get 39mpg on the highway and 29mpg in the city. That is definitely the redeeming quality of the car. My wife wanted it because of the "Candy Blue" color, haha. No cruise control is kinda a deal breaker for me. Shouldn't that be standard in this day-in-age?

Throttle Broken at 45K highway miles
By jt18 on 10/08/13 17:52 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Driven gently, and properly maintained, this vehicle has only given me a few problems. The arm rest broke after one year, I'm not a big person and I didn't abuse the arm rest, it just broke one day when I leaned on it to adjust the seat. The throttle body started failing after about 40K miles, idling erratically, lurching on the highway, stalling at stoplights and randomly racing the engine while idling. Took it to be repaired, of course it is NOT covered under the power train warranty. Cost $900 to repair! Strange, I would have expected the throttle box to be considered part of the power train. It does handle fairly well in rain and snow as long as it's not too deep.

Steering Knock
By 100peter on 10/08/13 12:04 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have a Fiesta Zetec with a 1.4 TCI engine. I have had this car since 2010 and until early this year I have had no problems. A knock started to appear when I turned the steering in either direction. The vehicle was taken to both a Ford garage and an indepndent garage but despite changing the tie bar links the knock was still present, and after the vehicle had been lifted off its wheels the knock was more excessive. I discovered the cause of the problem and have informed both garages of what I had discovered. By unlocking the steering wheen height adjuster and lowering the steering wheel by a very small amount (5mm) the knock has been resolved.

stick shift
By jimd14 on 08/07/13 15:49 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

After reading reviews from owners on this car I opted to get a stick shift. It's a new trans design so it will have bugs for the first few model years. I've had my car for a year putting on 15k miles. So far no problems. I average 40 mpg but do not do highway driving. Yes the paint chips easily but for 16k new you can't expect the same finish as a mustang. For those who complain about cheap materials...it's a cheap car...don't expect higher priced quality - it's simply not realistic. Overall for the price of this car new you get quite a bit for your money.

Problems, Problems, Problems
By ian_labell on 07/11/13 11:57 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

After purchasing in May of '12, the first problem arose after only 4000 miles. The clutch was making a squeaking noise when being used. I had to take it to the dealer twice, wasting two days before they would fix the problem, which happened to be an adjustment. Then at 30000 I noticed fluid leaking from the vehicle. Turns out it is the front axle, and the dealer won't be able to get me in until next week, and stated "well it should be fine until then." I thought Ford had made large strides in building better more reliable cars but I was incorrect. Never buy a Ford product, you WILL be let down.

Adaptive Transmission and Poor Gas consumption issues
By coach_dizzy on 06/26/13 08:37 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased the 2012 Ford Fiesta SE (Auto) in August of last year. Since we have put on over 33,000 km on it. Never had a issue with until last week. While accelerating there seemed to be a slip or clunk in the transmission and there would be no acceleration for a very brief period of time. We also started to notice a dramatic drop in our MPG. The first 8 months of use we would get around 650km per tank of gas on a mixed driving terrain. Now we are lucky to push 425km per tank. Dealer says it was the ATC and said it is fixed now. We will see. I really hope the gas consumption gets resolved.

truly so unhappy with Ford Fiesta
By mariawat1 on 05/30/13 18:03 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Ford Fiesta in 2012 brand new and brought it back within a couple of weeks with an obnoxious rattling noise, twice I was told that Ford was aware of the problem but they dont know what it is yet, once they figure it out they will fix it. August will be one year I hate this vehicle and the noise it makes I feel as though I am driving in an old rattle car like my sons 1993 Saturn at least he has an excuse the thing is old. How fair is it that I drive around in a vehicle I have to pay for every month when it sounds like a broken down old piece of junk. My third visit they figured out it was the transmission they will get the part in a couple of days that was may 15 today is May 30

1000 miles a week, great MPG
By 93536ford on 03/10/13 21:07 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I drive my little Fiesta 1000 miles a week commuting to work and school. It does fine at speeds between 70 and 80 MPH. For passing or steep hills you do need to downshift to 4th. It handles high winds well for a light car and corners very well. MPG range is 35 to 42. The advertised 38 is the norm. 23,000 miles so far without issue.

This is a LEMON VEHICLE
By c_duran on 03/02/13 08:42 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Fiesta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my vehicle 9 mo ago and have had it in the shop 4 times since! 2 of these were extremely dangerous experiences. Once the accelerator stuck during shifting gears and the other at highway speed it dropped to 10 mph max. All my issues have surrounded the accelerator. What makes it more frustrating is once the car turns off all error codes are reset...how convenient for Ford! They tell me I have to bring it in while error codes are active which seems to always happen after hours!!!

The best car under $18,000
By brandonh3 on 02/28/13 16:49 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Fiesta Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is the most fun on 4 wheels I've ever had. I let people drive my car and they compare it to a high performance mini-sports sedan. The thing corners like it's on rails, gets over 40mpg regularly, has one of the BEST sounding stereo systems from the factory and has safety features out the wazoo. The up and coming 2014 Fiesta ST will be incredible. My car, with 120hp, accelerates fine. I can't imagine it with almost 200hp!!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Ford Fiesta Sedan in VA is:

$140 per month*