Used 2012 Ford Fiesta S Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Fiesta Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fiesta model:

RUN LIKE THE WIND
By Debbie

2012 Ford Fiesta Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

That's what you should do when considering this car. I bought my car brand new in July 2012. The test drive was great and I traded an SUV to get better gas mileage and to have the reliability with a new car. Well, I got the great mileage but everything else about this car has been a disappointment. In the first 2 years I had it, 3 door locks broke. They suddenly would not shut and latch - so you couldn't drive the car without the doors flying open. I had to put someone in the back seat to hold the doors shut to get it to the dealer. I had to physically hold the passenger door shut with one hand while driving to the dealer. And then they didn't have the parts. Obviously I couldn't drive it home so they did get me a rental and the door was fixed within a week. Then, the transmission started to shudder and it felt like I was popping the clutch when it's an automatic. There were times it would barely go from a stop light and you have to be careful not to pull out in front of anyone because it may go and it may not. It's not safe and I absolutely hate this car. Unfortunately I have 3 more years to pay on it and Ford's service leaves alot to be desired. Apparently the transmission has indeed a problem and I took it in last November 2014 - they first told me nothing was wrong with it and all the settings were normal. I threw a fit and told them I needed to speak with the Service Mgr. I spoke with him and he took it out for a long drive and then I got a call saying yes indeed, there is a problem with the transmission and Ford is aware of the problem but they didn't have the parts. They told me it would probably be January 2015 the parts would be in but they would contact me and let me know when they had arrived. It's now July 2015 and I still haven't received that notice. Now there is a recall with an emissions problem - I am 63 years old and have never had so many problems with a new car as I have with this Ford. I will never buy another Ford car - EVER.

A lot of car for the money
By shaunt

2012 Ford Fiesta Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I hadn't actually considered such a small car, but the gas mileage enticed me. It looks small from the outside, but driving it is a whole different experience. I'm 6'3, 200lbs, and it's perfectly comfortable to drive. The adjustable wheel and multiple seat adjustments are a huge plus. More importantly, it drives like a dream. I test drove other subcompacts(Honda Fit, Nissan Versa) and they don't even come close in terms of ride quality and handling. The Fiesta has plenty of power, with precise steering, a smooth ride, and a wonderfully smooth clutch and manual shifter. The engine accelerates smoothly and rapidly, yet remains quiet. The road noise is also notably less than in the others.

I test drove both the automatic and the 5 speed manual, and wound up purchasing the manual. The manual is smoother, more fun, and offers far better acceleration, whereas the auto is hesitant and often "hunts" for the right gearing at lower speeds. Overall, this is a fantastic little car with great fuel efficiency, and offering features you'd expect to find on much more expensive cars. Ford hit a home run with this one, and has finally outclassed Honda, Nissan and Toyota in the subcompact category.