Used 2012 Ford Fiesta SE Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Fiesta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fiesta model:

My Ford Fiesta and Me
By Brett

2012 Ford Fiesta SE 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My little blue 1987 Nissan Pulsar was on its last limb; it was time to find a new car. After doing a ton of research I realized I wanted to purchase a sporty, compact, economical car. I had many choices that would fulfil these categories, like the Honda Fit, Ford Fiesta, and the Chevy Sonic to name a few. As you can infer from this title I ended up deciding on the Ford Fiesta; it had everything I wanted, sporty looks, fantastic gas mileage, and a plethora of fun accessories. The best part? It was just for the right price.
After searching on Auto Trader for a few weeks, one 2012 Fiesta SE hatchback finally popped up that caught my eye. With only one owner, it was silver, had fun specs like heated seats and a sunroof, had very low miles, and, most importantly, was a five speed manual transmission. I went to the dealer to get a quick test drive--within the first few minutes in the driver's seat, I knew this was the one I wanted. The dealer was very helpful and friendly during the buying process. I got a small loan from my grandmother and the car was officially mine.
I’ve had the car for a little over a year now and I am very pleased with my purchase. As a daily driver, reliability is very important to me- this car has not failed to deliver. This car gives me amazing gas mileage at roughly thirty-two miles per gallon. The car comes with a 1.6 liter four cylinder motor, which keeps up with traffic well while still able to give great gas mileage. I only prefer to drive manual cars; the transmission in the car has a rather "notchy" feel to it that I don't mind, but other drivers may find annoying. This car comes equipped with an anti-rollback feature. When you let off the brake, it will not roll back like a typical manual car would.
The interior of the Fiesta is rather roomy for such a small car, including trunk space. The back seats fold down for even more trunk space. The Interior is made out of a cloth material. The front seats are very comfortable with several adjustability options. They are heated in this model, which is fantastic for the cold winter months. The back seat is the only thing lacking in the interior department; taller people may feel cramped. Overall, I am very comfortable when operating the Fiesta.
I am overall very pleased with my Ford Fiesta; Certainly, it is a huge improvement over my 1987 Nissan Pulsar. There are very few cons about the Ford Fiesta, like the lack of room in the back seat and the "notchy" manual transmission in this particular model. This car would not be well suited for a family because of these cons. There are a ton of pros to this car like the gas mileage, good looks, heated seats, decent sound system, sunroof, and great price to name a few. I recommend this car to the single economically-conscious driver. I give this car a big thumbs up, and I know it will last me for many years to come.

This car
By Spara38

2012 Ford Fiesta SE 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new in May 2012, and everything was ok with it until Oct 2013 (@15000 miles) when it started shuddering, stalling, and sounding like it was eating itself. Shuddering was so bad I developed back issues from being jostled around so badly. Transmission replaced TWICE, 8/2014 and 10/2015. It happened AGAIN and dealer said it was such a prevalent issue that parts were backordered 5 months. When it left me stranded in the middle of an intersection, I refused to drive it again and drove my husband's car until I traded it in for a Toyota.

This is not a car I'd wish on my worst enemy. Sure it's great on gas, but it'll be in the shop too much to benefit from that!

This car
By Spara38

2012 Ford Fiesta SE 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Great car for towing behind a motorhome.
By Bill

2012 Ford Fiesta SE 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car because it has an automatic transmission that allows it to be simply put into neutral to be towed. No special transmission cooler required. The car is light enough so that an auxiliary breaking system is not required in most states. We didn't want to get a stick sift because of our age, this was the best option for that reason. So it's a great car to be towed. The transmission is a bit odd, it was totally rebuilt before it had 10,000 miles on it. Ford has increased the warranty on it to 100,000 miles. I currently have about 47,000 on it. One thing I was told by a Ford service rep was to stomp on the gas when the transmission starts to act up. Odd statement, but it works. We've experienced the shifting issues as many on this forum have had, this has happened when driving in town in stop and go traffic. When I can safety excellerate at full trottle, I will do that and it seems to reset the transmission. Just had it into the dealer for a recall on the transmission control module, they reprogrammed it. The module is now warranted to 150,000 miles. They also replaced the door latches, which I didn't know was a recall. I like the car, it is fun to drive, but not the most reliable. I've had many Ford products in the past, but I'm now driving a Toyota for our primary car. It's odd, but Toyota Camry and Siena are listed as more American built then Ford products. The Global economy has blurred the meaning of American made.

Automatic transmission is a disaster
By pintodw

2012 Ford Fiesta SE 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for good gas mileage as I have a lengthy commute. The vehicle performed well for the first 5K miles but since then I have been in and out of the dealership with automatic transmission problems. My Fiesta now has 23K miles and has been to the dealer five times for transmission work. The last two visits have resulted in major repairs in an attempt to fix the problem and still the problem persists. The transmission shudders, hesitates, and lurches in stop and go traffic or when slowing then starting up again such as at a stop light or stop sign. The dealership has acknowledged there is a problem with this transmission but thus far has refused to replace the transmission. Avoid

Handles well and great gas mileage. Very comfortable seats. Very roomy (I'm 6'7" and have great headroom and leg room in the driver's seat.

Scrap the automatic transmission and go with the CVT like the new Honda Fit or Nissans. If Ford sticks with this bizarre automatic transmission it will be the end of them.