2012 Ford Fiesta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fiesta model:
I want to love this car...but I just can't
By ipman501 on 10/24/13 06:33 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car brand new from the dealership (figured its cheaper to buy a new car and make payments instead of buying used and continually having to make repairs). Everything was fine up to about 8k miles. Then we started noticing weird transmission stuff (more on that later). Noticed weather-stripping on top of car is now coming loose (only 18k miles on the car). Not very comfortable, seats are hard. But I get 39mpg on the highway and 29mpg in the city. That is definitely the redeeming quality of the car. My wife wanted it because of the "Candy Blue" color, haha. No cruise control is kinda a deal breaker for me. Shouldn't that be standard in this day-in-age?

Throttle Broken at 45K highway miles
By jt18 on 10/08/13 17:52 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Driven gently, and properly maintained, this vehicle has only given me a few problems. The arm rest broke after one year, I'm not a big person and I didn't abuse the arm rest, it just broke one day when I leaned on it to adjust the seat. The throttle body started failing after about 40K miles, idling erratically, lurching on the highway, stalling at stoplights and randomly racing the engine while idling. Took it to be repaired, of course it is NOT covered under the power train warranty. Cost $900 to repair! Strange, I would have expected the throttle box to be considered part of the power train. It does handle fairly well in rain and snow as long as it's not too deep.

Steering Knock
By 100peter on 10/08/13 12:04 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have a Fiesta Zetec with a 1.4 TCI engine. I have had this car since 2010 and until early this year I have had no problems. A knock started to appear when I turned the steering in either direction. The vehicle was taken to both a Ford garage and an indepndent garage but despite changing the tie bar links the knock was still present, and after the vehicle had been lifted off its wheels the knock was more excessive. I discovered the cause of the problem and have informed both garages of what I had discovered. By unlocking the steering wheen height adjuster and lowering the steering wheel by a very small amount (5mm) the knock has been resolved.

Problems, Problems, Problems
By ian_labell on 07/11/13 11:57 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

After purchasing in May of '12, the first problem arose after only 4000 miles. The clutch was making a squeaking noise when being used. I had to take it to the dealer twice, wasting two days before they would fix the problem, which happened to be an adjustment. Then at 30000 I noticed fluid leaking from the vehicle. Turns out it is the front axle, and the dealer won't be able to get me in until next week, and stated "well it should be fine until then." I thought Ford had made large strides in building better more reliable cars but I was incorrect. Never buy a Ford product, you WILL be let down.

This is a LEMON VEHICLE
By c_duran on 03/02/13 08:42 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Fiesta S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my vehicle 9 mo ago and have had it in the shop 4 times since! 2 of these were extremely dangerous experiences. Once the accelerator stuck during shifting gears and the other at highway speed it dropped to 10 mph max. All my issues have surrounded the accelerator. What makes it more frustrating is once the car turns off all error codes are reset...how convenient for Ford! They tell me I have to bring it in while error codes are active which seems to always happen after hours!!!

Would not recommend this car to my worst enemy!
By jennillicious on 09/28/12 01:15 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This was my very first brand new car. I was very excited when I test drove it. Bought it with only 20 miles on it. At first I truly loved it. I was also sold on it having a supposed Sirius XM radio. (It does NOT by the way! so do not be tricked by the button on the dash labeled "SIRIUS" as I was) I have had it for 10 months and have put a little over 9,000 miles on it. It developed an oil leak and has been to service twice for the transmission. It stalled out on the interstate while I had my children with me and we had to be towed home right after the dealership gave it back to me saying they had repaired the transmission. This car is very unsafe and I am just so disappointed and angry!

Not safe to drive on hills!!
By disappionted60 on 07/25/12 11:08 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have always been happy with Fords - until I bought this Fiesta 2 months ago. I don't drive in the mountains, just some hills. There is a stop light at the base of the driveway into the place I work. The car cannot reach the 35 mph speed limit!! I stay in 2nd gear - the tach is over 3500 rpms - shift to 3rd and it slows down! Same problem on the highway - it's ok if I'm dong 60+ but otherwise, I watch the mph go down. down shifting doesn't do any good. It's a busy road with lots of semi's. Dealer says it's normal, nothing wrong with the car. I need to learn how to downshift. I have a co-worker with an automatic Fiesta hatchback... has the same problems.

Fiesta s 5 speed manual Just towed!!!
By benchpress777 on 07/12/12 22:39 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2012 ford fiesta s for reliability.I am a courier which means i drive alot making deliveries.(o hold on tow truck guy calling.)so anyways driving today the traffic slowed down and i tried to down shift on highway.My clutch would not go into gear. I actually slowed down all the way to 25 mph on the highway till it it went in to gear.A semi was coming fast and almost rear ended me.Later on coming to a traffic light it would not shift into 1st gear.Eventually hardly any gears would work. barley made it home safely and loss money from not being able to make any more deliveries . I am very blessed it happened around midnight with less traffic.You know I was actually hoping this car would be much more reliable than a 2000 mercury sable i had.Theirin which nickled and dimed me after 2500 in repairs.I ended up trading it in on the fiesta .They junked the sable and gave 500 on trade. Who knows about the 2012 fiesta its sure not starting out good.I have driven 90% fords my hole life this one may be my very last.May even get out of it early.This is my honest story.1st tow around 15000 miles. Where did the quality go!

Better than I expected.
By tonysf on 03/30/12 10:28 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We have owned our 2012 Ford Fiesta for 2000 miles and love it. On a trip to Fresno,CA from Bakersfield we received 41 mpg driving 70+ miles per hour. I thought that was great but I knew that I could improve. From Quartside, AZ to Bakersfield I received 48 mpg. I was averaging 65 mph and using coasting techniques in the mountains. I do not have a cruise control so my miles per hour sometimes crept upwards. My last trip from Santa Barbara I got 49 mpg. I know I can get 50 mpg. These are hybrid numbers; amazing. P.S. this a 4-door sedan with a 5-speed transmission. Thanks Ford Tony C

Fun to Drive but Squealing Clutch
By cventrice on 03/14/12 20:47 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, I like the performance and design features of my Ford Fiesta. The base S model is very affordable and it comes with several features such as ABS and stability control that are not normally standard in the base model. The car is a little slow in city driving but handles and accelerates well on the highway. Unfortunately, the car that I bought has had persistent problems with a squealing noise when the clutch pedal is depressed. It started the morning after I purchased the car. The dealer replaced the slave cylinder/throwout bearing assembly after 600 miles. It squealed again the morning after I picked the car up and has been intermittently squealing ever since then.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Ford Fiesta in VA is:

$140 per month*