2012 Ford Fiesta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fiesta model:
2 year report
By jimd14 on 10/25/14 08:06 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta SE 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my car for a little over 2 years now. I have had no problems with my car other than one of the hub caps having paint peeling which was replaced under warranty and rotors needing to be turned which Ford also replaced under warranty. I was surprised the rotors were covered considering this is a wear and tear item that lasts depending on your driving conditions and habits.

Automatic transmission is a disaster
By pintodw on 06/07/14 10:08 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta SE 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for good gas mileage as I have a lengthy commute. The vehicle performed well for the first 5K miles but since then I have been in and out of the dealership with automatic transmission problems. My Fiesta now has 23K miles and has been to the dealer five times for transmission work. The last two visits have resulted in major repairs in an attempt to fix the problem and still the problem persists. The transmission shudders, hesitates, and lurches in stop and go traffic or when slowing then starting up again such as at a stop light or stop sign. The dealership has acknowledged there is a problem with this transmission but thus far has refused to replace the transmission. Avoid

Transmission Safety
By bizyb on 06/06/14 03:03 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta SE 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Transmission would not shift was going down the road and just stopped moving , brought it to a dealer was ground bold and module had no charge to fix but feel this could be a safety issue and could result in death if it happen on a highways thing about this 3 to 4 lanes and your car will not go into gear. Also had a click in Radio when they fie the ground that went away

What you see is not what you get.
By jstrand on 03/24/14 10:35 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta SE 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The tranny in this thing sounds like it is going to give out. My car grinds in reverse and in drive. It is especially bad in the morning. I have brought it into the dealership multiple times and each time they tell me this is normal.

I want to love this car...but I just can't
By ipman501 on 10/24/13 06:33 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car brand new from the dealership (figured its cheaper to buy a new car and make payments instead of buying used and continually having to make repairs). Everything was fine up to about 8k miles. Then we started noticing weird transmission stuff (more on that later). Noticed weather-stripping on top of car is now coming loose (only 18k miles on the car). Not very comfortable, seats are hard. But I get 39mpg on the highway and 29mpg in the city. That is definitely the redeeming quality of the car. My wife wanted it because of the "Candy Blue" color, haha. No cruise control is kinda a deal breaker for me. Shouldn't that be standard in this day-in-age?

Throttle Broken at 45K highway miles
By jt18 on 10/08/13 17:52 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Driven gently, and properly maintained, this vehicle has only given me a few problems. The arm rest broke after one year, I'm not a big person and I didn't abuse the arm rest, it just broke one day when I leaned on it to adjust the seat. The throttle body started failing after about 40K miles, idling erratically, lurching on the highway, stalling at stoplights and randomly racing the engine while idling. Took it to be repaired, of course it is NOT covered under the power train warranty. Cost $900 to repair! Strange, I would have expected the throttle box to be considered part of the power train. It does handle fairly well in rain and snow as long as it's not too deep.

Steering Knock
By 100peter on 10/08/13 12:04 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have a Fiesta Zetec with a 1.4 TCI engine. I have had this car since 2010 and until early this year I have had no problems. A knock started to appear when I turned the steering in either direction. The vehicle was taken to both a Ford garage and an indepndent garage but despite changing the tie bar links the knock was still present, and after the vehicle had been lifted off its wheels the knock was more excessive. I discovered the cause of the problem and have informed both garages of what I had discovered. By unlocking the steering wheen height adjuster and lowering the steering wheel by a very small amount (5mm) the knock has been resolved.

Car jolting and stalling
By ejgardner on 08/16/13 18:39 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta SES 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Car randomly jolts and can't get past 20km/hr without jolting and sometimes stalling. I've stalled in the middle of an intersection and tonight I stalled at 100 on the highway and almost got hit by a bus. Took it to Ford and they told me just to deal with it. Unacceptable! Took it back a second time at 8am, took a mechanic on a road test and left the car there. Called at 130, they said it was being looked at. Called at 5 and they said they just pulled it into the shop. Finally got it back at 6 and said all they did was a 20 minute road test during the 10 hours they had it. Told me I would have results today and heard nothing back.

stick shift
By jimd14 on 08/07/13 15:49 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta SE 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

After reading reviews from owners on this car I opted to get a stick shift. It's a new trans design so it will have bugs for the first few model years. I've had my car for a year putting on 15k miles. So far no problems. I average 40 mpg but do not do highway driving. Yes the paint chips easily but for 16k new you can't expect the same finish as a mustang. For those who complain about cheap materials...it's a cheap car...don't expect higher priced quality - it's simply not realistic. Overall for the price of this car new you get quite a bit for your money.

Worst car I have ever purchased
By margien on 07/29/13 13:07 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fiesta SE 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

From the very beginning we noticed problems with this car. Breaks squeaking due to film on rotors, major transmission problems that the dealership kept telling us were "normal", hill assist would not work, and electrical failure. This is just to name a few on the issues we have had with for over the last 2 years. After all of the craziness with this car we finally are wrapping up our lemon law case. It was a yearlong process but we are glad we did it. Ford is buying back out Fiesta and I have a wonderful and reliable Subaru now. If any of you are thinking about going the lemon law route I highly encourage you. You should not have to be stuck with a car that is dangerous.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Ford Fiesta in VA is:

$140 per month*