Used 2012 Ford Fiesta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Fiesta - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Fiesta

View reviews for a specific Fiesta model:

2 year report
By jimd14

2012 Ford Fiesta SE 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my car for a little over 2 years now. I have had no problems with my car other than one of the hub caps having paint peeling which was replaced under warranty and rotors needing to be turned which Ford also replaced under warranty. I was surprised the rotors were covered considering this is a wear and tear item that lasts depending on your driving conditions and habits.

Favorite Features

Getting 35 mpg in town and 45 on highway. No problems at all with car.

Suggested Improvements

Factory tires did not last long. I put just shy of 30000 miles on my car and am at 4/32 of tread wear left. Replaced them since winter is coming with Ford recommended General Altimax tires which have a 65000 mile tread warranty.

Automatic transmission is a disaster
By pintodw

2012 Ford Fiesta SE 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for good gas mileage as I have a lengthy commute. The vehicle performed well for the first 5K miles but since then I have been in and out of the dealership with automatic transmission problems. My Fiesta now has 23K miles and has been to the dealer five times for transmission work. The last two visits have resulted in major repairs in an attempt to fix the problem and still the problem persists. The transmission shudders, hesitates, and lurches in stop and go traffic or when slowing then starting up again such as at a stop light or stop sign. The dealership has acknowledged there is a problem with this transmission but thus far has refused to replace the transmission. Avoid

Favorite Features

Handles well and great gas mileage. Very comfortable seats. Very roomy (I'm 6'7" and have great headroom and leg room in the driver's seat.

Suggested Improvements

Scrap the automatic transmission and go with the CVT like the new Honda Fit or Nissans. If Ford sticks with this bizarre automatic transmission it will be the end of them.

Transmission Safety
By bizyb

2012 Ford Fiesta SE 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Transmission would not shift was going down the road and just stopped moving , brought it to a dealer was ground bold and module had no charge to fix but feel this could be a safety issue and could result in death if it happen on a highways thing about this 3 to 4 lanes and your car will not go into gear. Also had a click in Radio when they fie the ground that went away

Favorite Features

Gas Milage ....

Suggested Improvements

Fix the Trans mission and Radio issues especially the Transmission if someone was going on a Trip and this happens on the highway at 60mph the car would be a target to get rear ended by unsuspecting driver and cause Death..

What you see is not what you get.
By jstrand

2012 Ford Fiesta SE 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The tranny in this thing sounds like it is going to give out. My car grinds in reverse and in drive. It is especially bad in the morning. I have brought it into the dealership multiple times and each time they tell me this is normal.

Favorite Features

Sirius XM compatibility, bluetooth - to - phone, ability to change color of lights.

Suggested Improvements

transmission.

I want to love this car...but I just can't
By ipman501

2012 Ford Fiesta S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car brand new from the dealership (figured its cheaper to buy a new car and make payments instead of buying used and continually having to make repairs). Everything was fine up to about 8k miles. Then we started noticing weird transmission stuff (more on that later). Noticed weather-stripping on top of car is now coming loose (only 18k miles on the car). Not very comfortable, seats are hard. But I get 39mpg on the highway and 29mpg in the city. That is definitely the redeeming quality of the car. My wife wanted it because of the "Candy Blue" color, haha. No cruise control is kinda a deal breaker for me. Shouldn't that be standard in this day-in-age?

Favorite Features

Definitely the high gas mileage. Big trunk space for such a small car.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission is crap. The new "dual-dry clutch" automatic manual is a joke. Yes, this car is considered an "automatic" but it really is a manual transmission that shifts automatically. We have had problems with the car lurching and halting, sounding like the transmission is grinding while going uphill and seemingly high RPMs on the highway 2800 going 70mph. Seems a bit high for me, but that may be how it is designed. This car doesn't even have 20k miles on it and it is already having tranny trouble? Not good...not to mention the weather-stripping that is on the roof is coming up at the front. Unacceptable.