Well...it's a $16k car
By mrj88 on
2011 Ford Fiesta SE 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)
I've had my Fiesta for a year now and have enjoyed it overall. Love the styling and lime squeeze paint. Consistent 35mpg is great, and most importantly it's never left me stranded. Nice little car. Here's the *but*. While the car seems solid mechanically, there have been a bunch of little issues that remind me that I'm definitely not driving an $21k Jetta/Civic/Impreza/etc. Already had to have some loose items under the hood tightened down, weather stripping replaced, quirky door locks, and random squeaks/creaks that come and go. Nothing over the top, but enough to make me wonder if I should have paid a little extra to get something a little more "tight". Only time will tell.
Favorite Features
Styling/color. Gas mileage. SYNC (although the capabilities of Siri on the new iPhone could pretty much fully replace it). Safety features (actually lowered my insurance). Heated seats. Hill start assist. Rear wiper.
Suggested Improvements
Smoother automatic transimission at lower speeds. Put in an armrest! The aftermarket ones are okay, but not nearly as good as something factory designed/installed. Upgrade the SYNC display to an actual screen and incorporate GPS. The turn-by-turn directions suck to be honest. Put volume control on steering wheel. Take few inches from the trunk and give the backseat more leg room. Make all the doors lock/unlock with a single button press on the remote. More tint at the top of the windshield.
By mrj88
on 04/25/12 05:45 AM (PDT)

Update: Turns out I was wrong about the door locks. If you hold down the lock/unlock buttons on your key for 4 seconds the lights will flash and you will then be able to lock/unlock all the doors with one button press. Good news: Still getting 37mpg with about 70% of my driving on the highway. A/C is nice and cold. Still no major mechanical problems. Bad news. In the 3 months since I wrote this review, I've had one of the steering wheel directional pads wear out, weatherstripping replaced (again), foam rubber under the hood come loose, and the wipers have started to click. Some cables that were rattling last year that had been fixed - now seem to be loose again! As soon as I hit 65mph on the highway you can hear it constantly. All these items are covered under the warranty, but I'm starting to fear that 36,000 mile milestone when Ford no longer covers all of these problems. The car still seems to run well, but have noticed it seems sluggish in reverse and has made some weird noises when turning the wheel while backing up. Really love this car, but am disappointed at all of these issues. At this point I would bump my rating down to 3 stars unfortunately.