Major Mistake for buyers
By kpdvice on
2011 Ford Fiesta SEL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)
Purchased a loaded sedan for my wife 3 weeks ago. After doing research and deciding we liked the mileage it got. We averaged about 38 mpg with the car in city / highway combined. Seats were comfortable except everytime we drove it neither of us could walk after about an hour behind the wheel. SNYC system was horrible and complicated to operate. Vehicle has no tow hooks so when it gets stuck in 3 inches of snow you can't yank it out. no way to shut off the traction control system off so when it's stuck in the afore mentioned 3 inches of snow you can't rock it out either. the automatic transmition jerks in and out while driving. This car was so bad we traded it in within a month!!!!
Favorite Features
Gas mileage was good for a gas engine, but please Ford bring back the little 4 cylinder diesels you used to have in the early 80's that got better then 60 mpg, they may have been slow to accelerate but who cares with 600 miles on a tank of gas!
Suggested Improvements
Scrap the front seats and try again, put in an arm rest, make the SYNC work as advertised and not so cumbersome to navigate through. Put some tow hooks / recovery points underneath the car. Put a shut off button on the traction control so that stupid thing stays off, especially for icy roads and trying to pull out with traffic coming, nothing like hitting it to get out on a major road and you only can get 1000 RPM with traffic bearing down! Finally get the jerkiness out of the transmission so it actually shifts like it's supposed to!
By bpollen
on 03/22/11 22:48 PM (PDT)

Why couldn't you walk after an hour in the car? It was a rough ride, you mean?

By mofo2
on 03/26/11 05:05 AM (PDT)

Unfortunately you can't get everything you want out of a 15K ish new car. It may not be perfect but I don't have issues with not being able to walk and the things you complain about seem to be more of personal preferences. Why would I want to go out in this car and get stuck in snow or if the road conditions are so icy then I should probably not be on the road in this econobox anyway. I have logged 1700 miles in my fiest se hatchback and yes the sync has issues sometimes but you would be hard pressed to find a vehicle with this many features at this pricepoint. Hope your new car works out for you.

By blueyedcatt
on 05/14/11 09:52 AM (PDT)

Perhaps if kpadvice had actually read the owner's manual he would have found that the"advance trac" features can be turned off for the three inches of snow situation he discussed. Though I have to wonder about his basic driving skills as my Fiesta navigated nearly a foot of heavy slushy snow with a layer of ice underneath with absolutely no problems!! I too am unsure of the "couldn't walk" comment, my commute some days can be an hour and I find I am not more stiff and uncomfortable after an hour in my Fiesta than I was after an hour in my 300M which was about a foot wider and 3 feet longer. Also if an armrest was so important there were two options, don't buy a car that clearly doesn't have one, or have one of the after market armrests installed. Seems perhaps that your research wasn't as in depth as it should have been and that your reason for buying was gas mileage rather than clearly all the nit picky things you wanted that you will never get in a subcompact car. Before I purchased my car, I found the owner's manual online and went through it page by page, read every review I could find. Yep not much room in the back seat, but I rarely have passengers so not a big concern. Not as much storage space as a Honda fit again not that important to me.... but I got a better looking car, with leather seats, a sunroof, the sync system and better gas mileage. Bottomline is you need to do proper research not research that is going to give you the answers you think you want.