2011 Ford Fiesta Consumer Review: A sharp lookin' ride with MPGs

2011 Ford Fiesta - Consumer Review

SE 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

A sharp lookin' ride with MPGs to match!
By mechanic80 on

2011 Ford Fiesta SE 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Granted, it's only been the first thousand miles, but the fuel economy is fantastic. I drive almost exclusively highway and have been averaging over 45 MPG. The manual transmission is relatively smooth and I'm sure if I had gotten an automatic the power would be disappointing. The A/C adds a considerable burden to the no-where-near overpowered engine. I have to say that even in white, it's a sharp looking car (hatchback with graphics and tinted windows.) There are real issues, though, specifically the comfort and safety of the front seats. I hope I never get smacked hard in the rear (of the car!) because the way the headrests hit at the top of the head, I'd probably snap my neck.

Economy, looks, great A/C, SE package information readout, power accessories,nice stereo and economy. Did I mention economy?

Front seats need work. You can't really recline them to say, nap, during lunch; the hinge point is way too high for anything resembling comfort, but driving comfort is fine. The big issue that I didn't realize for several days after purchase is the headrest. Had I noticed this shortcoming, I likely would not have bought it. I'm not short (5'6",) but the headrest touches my head inches above the top of my ears, and the severe forward angle of the headrest allows a huge gap behind the neck. I was always told that the point of contact should be at or slightly below the top of the ears. As it is, a severe rear impact would force my chin into my chest likely causing severe injury.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By cheryl1304
on 09/06/11 14:17 PM (PDT)

I learned a trick to solve the headrest dilema. I thought the exact same thing but I just removed them and turned them around. Now they are alot more comfortable.