Used 1993 Ford Festiva GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Festiva - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Festiva model:

Almost too well built
By Bones

1993 Ford Festiva GL 2dr Hatchback

I've owned two of these cars, the last one I still own. It's almost as if this car was built way before its time. Now with gas what it is, I hear less and less laughing. It's pretty obvious in cars of this size bueracracy is the only thing standing between fuel economy and cars that boast of 23 MPG. This car gets 40 MPG all day long. My buddy and I collected 7 of these cars way before cas went up. We made topless parade vehicles, drove them and parted them. Now, we always have parts and drive like-new 93's. It was dumb luck, but oh-so-sweet. I drive mine around town, he bounces back and forth to Key west in his. They are a dream at 70, but commute like motorcycles.

This car has leg room for big guys like me, a simple dash, basic controls (auto), a great fuel injection system, a larger compressor for the AC (Florida) and carries 8 foot long cargo with the passenger seat down. It's fun to drive and easily modified if you are always in a hurry.

No improvement needed if cool isn't your whole life. Travel is more important than the gas station. You don't feel like making your mechanic rich. You like a car no one wants to borrow. You like a car cops totally ignore and your 1K car is 14K cheaper than your neighbor's.

Festiva reliable
By festiva

1993 Ford Festiva GL 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car from my brother. Great car, good gas mileage, easy to fix and find parts for (except tires!) wouldn't trust taking kids for the fact that it's small and not accident friendly! Car has moved from Utah to Arizona to Nebraska and to Texas. Now over 170k wouldn't take it on long trips, but love it for back and forth to work!

Gas mileage, easy to fix

Car isn't made anymore, would love to see it out on the market again!

What a car!
By Bruce

1993 Ford Festiva GL 2dr Hatchback

For basic cheap transport this car just cannot be beaten. It behaves like a large go cart on the road, so I'd like to think I could avoid accidents in it, but I wouldn't like to be hit by a large vehicle. It gets outstanding gas mileage (35-45 mpg) even with an automatic transmission. Ford doesn't support it well (It is 14 years old after all). It is a cult car of sorts, because it has a small(er) carbon footprint, is cheap and yet is acceptable all weather transport. If more of these were produced I would buy several. It would be nice to have more luxury features. It is basically a "hybrid" car at 1/10th the price.

Reliability. Simplicity. Virtually anyone can understand if not fix this car. Fuel economy. Handling. Surprisingly large cargo hauling ability. Low cost per mile. Low(er) carbon footprint. Cult car status.

Corporate America needs to bring cars like this back into production and sale.That is the most important thing. The car could use better soundproofing. There are a few stupidly engineered parts of the car. Parts supply needs an upgrade.

Great Car
By Jeff

1993 Ford Festiva GL 2dr Hatchback

I love this car. It never gave any major problems. The only flaw I had with it is the muffler because they wear out fast, but I bought a lifetime warranty one and I'm set. I seen many people who have them and they have over 200,000 miles on them. This is great because I bought mine used with only 38,000 miles. This will last me a long time and I hope ford will someday bring this car back on their model line.

Fun to drive, and very reliable.

Better exhaust system.

93 GL
By David Tatum

1993 Ford Festiva GL 2dr Hatchback

After a nuclear war two things will remain, roaches and Festivas. Purchased in '93 and it still runs strong. Over 200.000 miles and still gets 43mpg. Only major repair - CV joint at 70,000 miles. For a work car to go from point A to point B you can't beat it. A long trip - NO WAY. 12" tires are cheap to buy new.

Gas mileage.