Used 1993 Ford Festiva L Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Festiva Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

1993 Ford Festiva Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Festiva model:

Proven reliability
By MtnRoad

1993 Ford Festiva Hatchback L 2dr Hatchback

I have a 1993 Ford Festiva L Model, 1.3L engine, 5 spd....all with less than 60,000 original miles on it. My Festiva is all original except for the tires and some new parts here and there. I keep the air pressure in my original size tires at max level and the car rides really smooth. Handling is pretty good, and surprisingly it performs well in higher gears despite the small engine size. I love the simplicity of the car. Considering what transportation costs nowadays I strongly beleive the reason they stopped selling this little gem in the US was because it would have seriously injured the auto industry. Everyone would have eventually bought one for cheap (I think new they were only around $5,000-6,000 USD) and since they are reliable and built well there would be millions of survivor cars on the road today. As everyone knows, it's a Mazda 121 which was sold all over the World, mostly in emerging markets. The Festiva for the US market was built by Kia before anyone knew who they were, and has a Ford badge on it. I love Fords. I love Mazda, and I love Kia, so this can't get any better in my opinion. My Festiva is 23 years old and the paint is still like new. The interior cloth seats have started to disintegrate from the sun, but all the plastics have held up well. I put a couple seat covers on the front seats and it's like new again. Since I've owned the car I have replaced a few inexpensive parts, and the front windshield. It has an aftermarket air conditioner in it which works great in the summer but can cause power loss and my engine temperature to rise a bit from having to turn the compressor belt. The engine is bulletproof and if you look online for videos there are people who show their Festiva's turning over some serious high mileage. It is really fun to drive and I love taking mine on occasional long scenic drives into the mountains to stretch it's legs. The car gets a lot of attention wherever I take it, and someone always asks where they can get one. Parts are easy to find online (eBay, etc).

Best car ever!
By Mike

1993 Ford Festiva Hatchback L 2dr Hatchback

I have 323,000 miles on mine. I didn't change the fan belt till after 10 years. I haven't changed the fuel filter or plug wires yet! Just a great little car for what it is. Take the back seat out and you can haul two mountain bikes and some camping gear in it.

Cheap 12 inch tires are getting hard to find.

Just get one
By Mr.Ouchies

1993 Ford Festiva Hatchback L 2dr Hatchback

You're not gonna spend that much on one and will be surprised. You can buy one as a spoof then soon realize it's your baby. I wanted one just for novelty but got caught up in festiva fever. This car has never left me stranded and only required a new alternator and battery. Farthest I have traveled in it in one day was about 300 miles when i first got it and true to what others have said "I no longer trust this car on long trips." I don't know why I don't, but i just don't. These cars do die sort of. I have seen one not work with 256,000 due to bad ignition switch. I have seen one with 125,000 that was in an accident, but engine was pulled to put in one with over 300,000 that barely began to smoke

Gas mileage, deceptively large interior, fun to drive.

Bring it back so i can get a new one. Keep the engine they last forever.

Reliable to a Fault- Just keeps running!
By FestivaFan

1993 Ford Festiva Hatchback L 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car as a temporary replacement for my beloved wrecked 89 1/2 Mustang. Seven years later, I still have it. Getting fantastic gas mileage is addictive. It is also a great city car, no self respecting car thief or jacker will mess with a lowly Festiva. Not a great car to be in during an accident, but it is nimble enough to avoid situations bigger cars couldn't. After all, are we all going to be forced to drive SUV Panzers to be safe from the SUV bullies. I hope not. The Edmonds pricing for the Festiva is a joke, I can sell this car for what I paid for it tomorrow. They are revered for their reliability, storage, and mileage. All the same reasons I will keep driving it until it dies.

It's a loud car at highway speeds, the windows come off-track way to easy, but let's face it, it's a 17-year-old car. For what it is, it is a masterpiece. People rack up 300,000 miles on these engines with no major problems. For an inexpensive economy car it was/is a brilliant piece of engineering.

It's a loud car at highway speeds, the windows come off-track way to easy, but let's face it, it's a 17 year old car. For what it is, it is a masterpiece. People rack up 300,000 miles on these engines with no major problems. For an inexpensive economy car it was/is a brilliant piece of engineering.

I love this car
By Peter Unander

1993 Ford Festiva Hatchback L 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car as an economical way to see my girlfriend at the time who lived 50 miles away. I am 6'3" but leg room is not a problem with this car, nor is storage for that matter I can haul my pressure washer my airless and all my hoses & gear as well as my 40' & 28' ladders on the roof. Two years after purchasing this car while driving home in a rain storm I missed a turn and me my dog and my Festiva went 80 feet into a ravine. Amazingly the car sustained little damage other then a slightly bent rear axle which I replaced for $100 from a wrecking yard. This is in my opinion one of the best cars on the market. That's why I am writting this

Reliability, economy, durability

Keep it simple and keep building the Festiva