Rock Solid TRUCK!
By usa_dfndr on
2008 Ford F-450 Super Duty XL 4dr Crew Cab LB DRW (6.4L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6M)
Owned V-10 F250 and 2006 GMC 3500HD Duramax. This truck is superior to all vice three(3) distinct challenges: mileage/Ford-offered retrofits to resolve&increase mileage ARE NON-EXISTENT, drive-train (transmission/differential)slip especially releasing gas and re- stepping on it to begin acceleration again. Duramax+Allison transmission combo. FAR superior in this regard. 3rd item is moderate bucking caused w/ 43.5ft 5th wheel Toyhauler atch'd and truck headed downhill w/ cruise control on. Thought truck was pulling itself apart on 1,900mile cross- country trip. Glad to date/zero ENGINE problems @ 30,000 miles. Knocking on wood and saying a prayer for 300,00 to 500,000 miles problem- free.
Favorite Features
Towing capacity/turning radius vice former 2004 F-250 Super Cab -- this thing is amazing in relation to competition to include the GMC.
Suggested Improvements
Factory-new 6-speed conversion kit for 2008-2010 model years MUST be offered by Ford FREE! 4.88 rear-end + 6.4L formerly new engine way BAD fuel economy. 30K miles = 11 mi/gal not towing/likely 6.5 towing! I was Deployed from 11/07 to Jun 08//VERY limited miles over that period. Commute truck since.
By fordleaks
on 07/21/11 14:42 PM (PDT)

When turning and accelerating from a dead stop, the rear end shudders momentarily as if the wheels are slipping on gravel. Happens only when trailering. The state agency I'm employed with bought a bunch of these 2008 and newer f450s and at least 2 have had radiator leaks on the plastic tank seams. That's $1600 a pop for the Ford dealer to replace the radiator. Another one was found low on coolant today after I gave the driver a heads up on our problem. My personal truck is a 97 f150 with 80K miles and its radiator went bad this past January. My wife's 97 Expedition started leaking right before Christmas. She was lucky, it leaked bad enough that we saw it before the engine was damaged: my truck had to have a new motor. I like Fords, but this makes me want to try something else.