Another one bites the dust
By seehorse on
2008 Ford F-450 Super Duty Lariat 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB DRW (6.4L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6M)
I bought it in Texas thanks to a blown head gasket on my 05 F350 that left me stranded (5th time) and I had to get my 40' trailer to NM by the next day. Since the repair would have been a 3 day event I bought the 08 F450 off the dealer's lot. At first all was well, the truck pulled better than the 350 and it ran perfectly. It was trouble free for the first 4 years I owned it aside from it's abysmal fuel efficiency (6 MPG towing, the older 350 averaged around 10 with the same trailer). Then, things started to happen. A sensor crippled the truck. Repair. A turbo blew. Repair. Oil leak. Repair. DPE failure leading to blown engine. Currently broken, 66k and 10 days out of warranty.
Favorite Features
Pulls well and the interior is quite nice. By the way, the drop down menu doesn't offer the option but the truck's a 4WD Long Bed with the Auto Tranny.
Suggested Improvements
How about an engine that works? After 4 Ford SuperDuty trucks with only one living past 75k miles I'm through with Ford. Unfortunate, as my local dealer is excellent and has stood by me time after time fighting Ford to pay for repairs. Still, I think I'm buying a Ram once the 450 is running again... I'll never trust that Ford on another cross country trip.