2008 Ford F-450 Super Duty Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-450 Super Duty model:
Probably worst mistake in my life
By Yuri on 10/29/09 18:08 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford F-450 Super Duty Crew Cab Lariat 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB DRW (6.4L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Since 11/07, truck has been in shop 7-8 times. Last time it had the entire head replaced; took about 30 days. Absolutely NO POWER to this date. Also have an 08 GMC 2500 Duramax, blows this Ford out of water with power. I am sad to find all these posts as I am doing research tonight on my new truck- 2009 Sierra 3500. Will be at GMC tomorrow getting trade-in appraisal for it. I do excavating so I am daily towing 10-12k trailer w/ either a mini-ex or skid-steer. Absolutely a dog in power. Took to Ford dealer several times, they say it's fine. Get literally 7-8 mpg avg. GMC gets 11-12 towing same exact load w/ tons more power. If you love yourself, PLEASE do not buy this truck.

Re-Review, I have a change of mind...
By 85punkrock on 10/08/09 00:51 AM (PDT)

I had originally reviewed this truck well over a year ago. Since that time I've had the rad replaced twice and then a loss of power problem. Ford replaced the fuel pump, but that didn't fix the problem. After 6 months of back and forth they finally figured out it was the high pressure pump. Towing a 18K lb trailer was a challenge on a recent trip when the truck kept losing power. Thankfully they finally fixed it! I have to admit, Ford did help out in the way of giving me a rental vehicle and covering everything under the Powertrain warranty. But would I buy another one? Nah. Should have gone for one of those Freightliners!

hunk of junk that looks good!!
By hans on 10/06/09 06:15 AM (PDT)

@ 10770 miles turbo went bad enigne noise, turbo noise over heating all sort of problems, @ 13500 engine rebuilt , engine noise, turbo leak, overheating!! @ 13700 miles radiator replaced. @ 16600 miles date 10/01/09 vehicle in shop AGAIN! turbo leak, temp gauge problem, radiator leak, smell of oil in cabin, engine oil leak. ford refuse to replace the vehicle. just a nightmare. DO NOT BUY THIS TRUCK!

You've Got to Be Kidding
By Ex chevy owner on 08/18/09 11:12 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford F-450 Super Duty Crew Cab XLT 4dr Crew Cab LB DRW (6.4L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

63K miles - 4th time in the shop for major repair. Latest adventure 1 week to replace fuel pump, WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE CAB TO GET TO IT? This truck was not designed to be maintained. Change fuel filter every other oil change ($$$$). Regular tire shops cannot change or rotate tires (???). This truck is not one of Ford's better ideas.

dont buy one
By Breaking me on 08/05/09 15:27 PM (PDT)

I have had my truck for 12 months, it has been in the shop 16 times for a little over 180 days but ford will not buy back! one problem after another. currently if has been in the shop for over 30 days,last week they where test driving it before calling me to pick it up after 3 weeks in and it sucked a valve on the test drive. They cant even keep it running long enough to give it back to me from the previous repair.

a real expensive piece of junk!
By ty butler on 06/22/09 17:51 PM (PDT)

I have had all of fords diesels and this one is absolutely the worst. Been in shop 13 times and has to go again. Radiator blown, egr valves clogged many times, and this regeneration is a joke. DO NOT buy this truck, just throw 50k out your window!

A few hiccups but overall AWESOME
By Paul on 05/08/09 15:59 PM (PDT)

I use this truck every day to tow various trailers for work and pleasure. From a 6 ton travel trailer to 2 jet skis on a trailer, towing is simply amazing. I had the same radiator problems everyone else seems to have had but mine was fixed in a day at the dealer. Perimeter lights on the bed fell out constantly but those too were fixed and have been ok since then. The 80mph governor was a surprise but I read it has to do with the stock tires. It has been terrific advertisement for my company and a great work horse- I've tugged a semi out of a ditch with it, no problem! Upgrade to the "Banks Combo" for more HP and better efficiency, 15k will get you a lift, new wheels and tires to die for!

Pulls well, but can't pass a gas station
By gistmarrs on 04/20/09 21:01 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford F-450 Super Duty Crew Cab XL 4dr Crew Cab LB DRW (6.4L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I've got just over 20,000 miles. The fuel mileage is pathetic at 8.4 mpg average (about 7 towing and 9.5 not). It's been in the shop to many times to count. 3 radiators, water pump, idler pulleys, thermistats, wheel bearing, etc. It ruined our last vacation by being stranded in a tiny desert town for several days.

Best SD that I own, had 7 from 2003
By Herman Chaisson on 04/20/09 15:24 PM (PDT)

Bad mama jama I haven't towed my 5th wheel yet but will soon. 12.5 mpg @ 65 mph with a 4.88 rear end I have 14000 miles now and when I had 7000 miles I got 10.5 mpg.

The Best I Ever Owned !!!!
By Carlos on 03/14/09 21:49 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford F-450 Super Duty Crew Cab XLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB DRW (6.4L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Love my truck, Job 1, Have had it for almost two years and only minor issue, Radiator leaked, Dealer fixed right away. I tow Horses and 5th wheel up to Utah & Northern New Mexico and Colorado with no problems. Love to pass those Chevy's and Dodge's.I love to drive this truck. Pulls better than my 99, 01,(7.3's) 07,(6.0) f-350's I use to have. Mileage could be better but getting better as the motor breaks in. To date getting 14.5 off the hook and 12 on it, Use synthetics and getting better. But this thing is made for pulling and thats what I do with it. If you want a truck to haul Groceries dont buy this truck! if you need to pull loads all the time this is the TRUCK! Overall love this Truck

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.