Used 2008 Ford F-450 Super Duty Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford F-450 Super Duty Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford F-450 Super Duty Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific F-450 Super Duty model:

Great truck except for the engine
By Dee Danner

2008 Ford F-450 Super Duty Crew Cab Lariat 4dr Crew Cab LB DRW (6.4L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

After having multiple check engine lights come on while driving on the Interstate, I've had it. Contacted Premier Diesel and Auto in Mansfield TX who told me this 6.4 engine is horrible. They advised me to sell or trade it. The engine was made by International not Ford. They said the engines just "blow up" and they have multiple trucks sitting on their property that need new 6.4 engines. Just bought the truck used in February and having to take a loss to trade it in. Wish I knew then what I know now.

Another one bites the dust
By seehorse

2008 Ford F-450 Super Duty Crew Cab Lariat 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB DRW (6.4L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I bought it in Texas thanks to a blown head gasket on my 05 F350 that left me stranded (5th time) and I had to get my 40' trailer to NM by the next day.
Since the repair would have been a 3 day event I bought the 08 F450 off the dealer's lot.

At first all was well, the truck pulled better than the 350 and it ran perfectly.
It was trouble free for the first 4 years I owned it aside from it's abysmal fuel efficiency (6 MPG towing, the older 350 averaged around 10 with the same trailer).

Then, things started to happen.
A sensor crippled the truck.
Repair.
A turbo blew. Repair. Oil leak. Repair. DPE failure leading to blown engine.
Currently broken, 66k and 10 days out of warranty.

Pulls well and the interior is quite nice. By the way, the drop down menu doesn't offer the option but the truck's a 4WD Long Bed with the Auto Tranny.

How about an engine that works? After 4 Ford SuperDuty trucks with only one living past 75k miles I'm through with Ford. Unfortunate, as my local dealer is excellent and has stood by me time after time fighting Ford to pay for repairs. Still, I think I'm buying a Ram once the 450 is running again... I'll never trust that Ford on another cross country trip.

Piece of junk Stay away dont buy
By snowkartracer

Purchased truck early 07 when first came out I know have 128k miles . truck has spent a lot of time at dealer . many items broke main things are rear end . rear springs. trailer wiring .engine blew @ 106 k .3 radiators. air conditioner panel. replaced
coolant
hoses. replaced temp stat.
new turbo and hoses
replaced. many other little stuff . Its always fighting with ford they are not real customer helpful there never wanting to stand up to there piece of junk
I will never purchase ford again

Stay away don't buy

tough trucks
By ford104

2008 Ford F-450 Super Duty Crew Cab XL 4dr Crew Cab LB DRW (6.4L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I hear alot of discussion on the 2008 ford f-450 and a few reviews stated that they had some serious problems with thier vehicles well i work for a company that operates mostly ford vehicles some chevys too.we use these trucks for dump trucks and heavy haul such as excavators backhoes etc and the ford has really outdone the chevrolet in terms of quality and power the ford responds better in the steering and even acceleration we put these trucks through some of the worst conditions there are and have not had a problem with the trucks at all i had one turbo go out thats it so for those of you who need a powerfull trck for towing and hauling heavy loads thr ford is the truck to buy

my favorite features is the built in trailer brake the extendable outside mirrors the built in auxillary power switches they are great for powering vehicle warning systems such as lightbars additional lighting etc the features make for a perfect work truck

i personally think that ford nailed the design of this truck i see no need for improvements

F450 nothing but trouble
By f550owner

2008 Ford F-450 Super Duty Crew Cab XL 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB DRW (6.4L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Replaced 3 radiators, one at 17k, then at 34k then at 75k, and then a new engine.
Fought with Ford, and wound up hiring a lemon lawyer and received a settlement of 20k, 5k to the lawyer, 15k for a used rebuilt engine, plus a 6 month delay while i maintained payments of nearly $900 a month.

I settled, but others should get their money back, i would love to hear from others who may have had success in getting or receiving a settlement.

Note: i have 104,000 miles and was out of warranty, they told me to pound sand