2008 Ford F-450 Super Duty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-450 Super Duty model:
Another one bites the dust
By seehorse on 10/31/12 19:01 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford F-450 Super Duty Lariat 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB DRW (6.4L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I bought it in Texas thanks to a blown head gasket on my 05 F350 that left me stranded (5th time) and I had to get my 40' trailer to NM by the next day. Since the repair would have been a 3 day event I bought the 08 F450 off the dealer's lot. At first all was well, the truck pulled better than the 350 and it ran perfectly. It was trouble free for the first 4 years I owned it aside from it's abysmal fuel efficiency (6 MPG towing, the older 350 averaged around 10 with the same trailer). Then, things started to happen. A sensor crippled the truck. Repair. A turbo blew. Repair. Oil leak. Repair. DPE failure leading to blown engine. Currently broken, 66k and 10 days out of warranty.

Piece of junk Stay away dont buy
By snowkartracer on 07/30/12 15:50 PM (PDT)

Purchased truck early 07 when first came out I know have 128k miles . truck has spent a lot of time at dealer . many items broke main things are rear end . rear springs. trailer wiring .engine blew @ 106 k .3 radiators. air conditioner panel. replaced coolant hoses. replaced temp stat. new turbo and hoses replaced. many other little stuff . Its always fighting with ford they are not real customer helpful there never wanting to stand up to there piece of junk I will never purchase ford again Stay away don't buy

Found On the Road Dead
By badbadford on 01/25/12 19:31 PM (PST)

I bought this when my 2005 f 350 blue its motor the third time while stuck in Wyoming with six horses and a family in a motel, the 2008 got me home but over the last three years it broke down seven times, four radiators, two turbos an engine and now another break down and a new engine, now its 2000 miles out of extended warranty. It is unreliable, poorly built and only a fool would recommend it, the ones that do have never used it for long hauls or extensive ranch work which is what it was built to do.....FORD found on the road dead how true is that. Ford should be ashamed to sell this crap and a class action suit should be had. 29 repair items this time around....

Good tow unit
By nwbucs on 04/17/11 19:23 PM (PDT)

I purchased truck about 1 year ago and have not had any problems to date. I have a 38 ft fifth wheel that weighs about 14 K and this truck pulls without effort. We took a trip over Blewett pass and it was like there was no trailer behind me. Keep up with the usual maintenance-oil changes and fuel filters every other oil change. I have owned 4 super duties and this is by far the best.

My last F-450 review... it's DEAD! re-re-review
By peacepunk on 02/02/11 01:56 AM (PST)

This is my last update on our 2008 F-450. I no longer wish to own this vehicle. Do not buy a 2008, it will leave you broke! As I was driving my kids home after their karate practice, we noticed a strange clicking sound coming from the engine. The sound kept getting louder and louder so I was attempting to find a safe place to pull over in the middle of no where. Too late. The truck just suddenly shut off. I was told by our Ford service department today that we need a new engine. Cost: $16,000 or the other "cheaper" option is a partial rebuild at $14,000. "Internal problem" is their diagnosis. So dissapointed in a truck I used to love.

Probably worst mistake in my life
By Yuri on 10/29/09 18:08 PM (PDT)

Since 11/07, truck has been in shop 7-8 times. Last time it had the entire head replaced; took about 30 days. Absolutely NO POWER to this date. Also have an 08 GMC 2500 Duramax, blows this Ford out of water with power. I am sad to find all these posts as I am doing research tonight on my new truck- 2009 Sierra 3500. Will be at GMC tomorrow getting trade-in appraisal for it. I do excavating so I am daily towing 10-12k trailer w/ either a mini-ex or skid-steer. Absolutely a dog in power. Took to Ford dealer several times, they say it's fine. Get literally 7-8 mpg avg. GMC gets 11-12 towing same exact load w/ tons more power. If you love yourself, PLEASE do not buy this truck.

Re-Review, I have a change of mind...
By 85punkrock on 10/08/09 00:51 AM (PDT)

I had originally reviewed this truck well over a year ago. Since that time I've had the rad replaced twice and then a loss of power problem. Ford replaced the fuel pump, but that didn't fix the problem. After 6 months of back and forth they finally figured out it was the high pressure pump. Towing a 18K lb trailer was a challenge on a recent trip when the truck kept losing power. Thankfully they finally fixed it! I have to admit, Ford did help out in the way of giving me a rental vehicle and covering everything under the Powertrain warranty. But would I buy another one? Nah. Should have gone for one of those Freightliners!

hunk of junk that looks good!!
By hans on 10/06/09 06:15 AM (PDT)

@ 10770 miles turbo went bad enigne noise, turbo noise over heating all sort of problems, @ 13500 engine rebuilt , engine noise, turbo leak, overheating!! @ 13700 miles radiator replaced. @ 16600 miles date 10/01/09 vehicle in shop AGAIN! turbo leak, temp gauge problem, radiator leak, smell of oil in cabin, engine oil leak. ford refuse to replace the vehicle. just a nightmare. DO NOT BUY THIS TRUCK!

dont buy one
By Breaking me on 08/05/09 15:27 PM (PDT)

I have had my truck for 12 months, it has been in the shop 16 times for a little over 180 days but ford will not buy back! one problem after another. currently if has been in the shop for over 30 days,last week they where test driving it before calling me to pick it up after 3 weeks in and it sucked a valve on the test drive. They cant even keep it running long enough to give it back to me from the previous repair.

a real expensive piece of junk!
By ty butler on 06/22/09 17:51 PM (PDT)

I have had all of fords diesels and this one is absolutely the worst. Been in shop 13 times and has to go again. Radiator blown, egr valves clogged many times, and this regeneration is a joke. DO NOT buy this truck, just throw 50k out your window!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.