Used 2008 Ford F-450 Super Duty Lariat Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford F-450 Super Duty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-450 Super Duty model:

Another one bites the dust
By seehorse

2008 Ford F-450 Super Duty Lariat 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB DRW (6.4L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I bought it in Texas thanks to a blown head gasket on my 05 F350 that left me stranded (5th time) and I had to get my 40' trailer to NM by the next day. Since the repair would have been a 3 day event I bought the 08 F450 off the dealer's lot. At first all was well, the truck pulled better than the 350 and it ran perfectly. It was trouble free for the first 4 years I owned it aside from it's abysmal fuel efficiency (6 MPG towing, the older 350 averaged around 10 with the same trailer). Then, things started to happen. A sensor crippled the truck. Repair. A turbo blew. Repair. Oil leak. Repair. DPE failure leading to blown engine. Currently broken, 66k and 10 days out of warranty.

Pulls well and the interior is quite nice. By the way, the drop down menu doesn't offer the option but the truck's a 4WD Long Bed with the Auto Tranny.

How about an engine that works? After 4 Ford SuperDuty trucks with only one living past 75k miles I'm through with Ford. Unfortunate, as my local dealer is excellent and has stood by me time after time fighting Ford to pay for repairs. Still, I think I'm buying a Ram once the 450 is running again... I'll never trust that Ford on another cross country trip.

Piece of junk Stay away dont buy
By snowkartracer

Purchased truck early 07 when first came out I know have 128k miles . truck has spent a lot of time at dealer . many items broke main things are rear end . rear springs. trailer wiring .engine blew @ 106 k .3 radiators. air conditioner panel. replaced coolant hoses. replaced temp stat. new turbo and hoses replaced. many other little stuff . Its always fighting with ford they are not real customer helpful there never wanting to stand up to there piece of junk I will never purchase ford again Stay away don't buy

Found On the Road Dead
By badbadford

I bought this when my 2005 f 350 blue its motor the third time while stuck in Wyoming with six horses and a family in a motel, the 2008 got me home but over the last three years it broke down seven times, four radiators, two turbos an engine and now another break down and a new engine, now its 2000 miles out of extended warranty. It is unreliable, poorly built and only a fool would recommend it, the ones that do have never used it for long hauls or extensive ranch work which is what it was built to do.....FORD found on the road dead how true is that. Ford should be ashamed to sell this crap and a class action suit should be had. 29 repair items this time around....

Color

Buy the truck back and replace all the motors

Good tow unit
By nwbucs

I purchased truck about 1 year ago and have not had any problems to date. I have a 38 ft fifth wheel that weighs about 14 K and this truck pulls without effort. We took a trip over Blewett pass and it was like there was no trailer behind me. Keep up with the usual maintenance-oil changes and fuel filters every other oil change. I have owned 4 super duties and this is by far the best.

Leather seats, sound system ,climate control

Fuel mileage is terrible but its only a part time driver anyways.

My last F-450 review... it's DEAD! re-re-review
By peacepunk

This is my last update on our 2008 F-450. I no longer wish to own this vehicle. Do not buy a 2008, it will leave you broke! As I was driving my kids home after their karate practice, we noticed a strange clicking sound coming from the engine. The sound kept getting louder and louder so I was attempting to find a safe place to pull over in the middle of no where. Too late. The truck just suddenly shut off. I was told by our Ford service department today that we need a new engine. Cost: $16,000 or the other "cheaper" option is a partial rebuild at $14,000. "Internal problem" is their diagnosis. So dissapointed in a truck I used to love.

It was a great truck when it worked. Now it doesn't. See my previous reviews.

All the things I hear about the 2008 models is true, just get rid of them! The only improvement is not to buy one! Beware!!