1991 Ford F-350 Consumer Review: A Reliable Brute

1991 Ford F-350 Extended Cab - Consumer Review

A Reliable Brute
By Jackpot Jerry on

1991 Ford F-350 XLT Lariat 2dr Extended Cab LB

Best full sized truck I have ever owned. Reliable, powerful and carries or tows a big load. I use it mostly as an RV. 90% of it's mileage is at or near GVWR or GCWR, but I never had a mechanical problem. I do not use it as a daily driver because it is long, wide (DRW) and mileage isn't a strong point. However, as a working truck it is super. The lariat interior (captain's chairs) is surprisingly comfortable even though it is just plastic with cloth upolstery. Lots of room up front but the folding rear seat is a bit low and narrow for adults.

Favorite Features

Drive train: The EFI 7.5L (460) starts easily and runs smoothly with never a hint of trouble. The HD five speed manual trans is a good match for towing along with a 4.10 differential. But mpg is only 10 plus solo and 8 something towing. This is typical truck mileage for the time it was built.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing wrong with this truck is the suspension. OK ride comfort with a moderate or better load but harsh unladen. Some aftermarket mods have improved the ride but it is still pretty stiff. Not a truck for those with weak kidneys.