Used 2009 Ford F-350 Super Duty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford F-350 Super Duty

View reviews for a specific F-350 Super Duty model:

2009 F-350 Super Duty FX4
By nothappy28

2009 Ford F-350 Super Duty FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

This is the second Ford Super Duty we have owned. Our first was a 2006 F-250 Diesel and the vehicle smoked like crazy. The dealer could never fix it, we got rid of it with 19,000 miles on it and bought a 2009 F-350 FX4 Diesel. What a mistake that was. We have a fifth wheel trailer which is why we need a Super Duty diesel. The truck bucks and chugs when the trailer is on, Ford doesn't know what to do to fix it. The truck has also gone into limp mode 3 times while going up hill on the highway with the trailer on the back. We go from 65 mph to 50 instantly and then have to limp it off the road. Ford cannot find the problem. We are going to buy a Dodge now, I will not buy another Ford.

A+
By Terrific!

2009 Ford F-350 Super Duty XL 2dr Regular Cab LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

This F-350 is the second F-series new truck i have purchased. There was a Toyota Tundra in between that I should have left @ the dealership. Ford means quality in the F series, engineered by people that know trucks. I was so glad to get back into a Ford after that Tundra. The only down side to the F-350 is it is a little underpowered. You must use the tow/haul mode on steep hills and w/loads. I have had two 3800# loads in the bed, traveled 50 miles home up a long, steep mountain grade, slowing a bit but turning, braking and general handling was superior. I have owned this truck almost one year now and always look forward to driving it. What a blessing it is

Favorite Features

Engineering. Period.

Suggested Improvements

Always an improvement could be better gas mileage. It gets about 14 MPG by the way. That's mostly freeway and some city driving. Am finding mileage gets better as more engine miles are put on the vehicle. The standard AM/FM radio was replaced after purchase.

love this monster
By gordjunior

2009 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 4dr Crew Cab LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

The website wouldn't accept my model, a Lariat crewcab shorbox with the 6.4l diesel. It is smooth, quiet, and handles well on and off road. I test drove at least 10 2008 and 2009 Ford, GM, and Dodge heavy duty trucks, and none had the power this thing has. So far, I get just under 20 mpg (Imperial gallons) on the highway. The one criticism I have is that it takes some effort to steer when not moving, especially when it is very cold. Overall, I love it.

Favorite Features

rear view camera, telescoping / folding mirrors, Sirius radio

Suggested Improvements

cup holders in the back

Excellent Tow Vehicle
By Foxhunter

2009 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Replaced a 1999 F-250 Superduty with this beast, and was surprised at the improvement! Much more quiet, much easier to drive (especially towing a 9500 lb horse trailer on the highway in a crosswind), and much more upscale. Got the V-10 with the 5-speed auto trans and 4.10 rear end. Had the opportunity to use the 4-wheel drive to get through a muddy field to park the horses, and was one of the few to do so without the aid of a tractor. Overall, this is the best of breed for towing, and my horse-owning friends are envious of my new rig.

Favorite Features

TowCommand with transmission doing the downshifts - wonderful!!! Satellite radio, and a host of conveniences, such as Sync for hands-free phone calls, heated seats and places to store "stuff." 20-inch all-terrain tires. The new transmission is superb. Power telescoping mirrors are excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy would be nice, or a bigger fuel tank with the short bed option. Would have gotten the diesel, but only drive 7000 miles/year and the price delta from even the V-10 gas was too high - could not justify it.

F350 is a workhorse
By MFH4MVH

2009 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Replaced a 1999 Superduty with this one - a great choice! Highly pleased with the V-10 and 4.10 diff to tow my big gooseneck horse trailer. Gets much better mileage than the '99 it replaced, and pulls with authority. Love the new mirrors, Sync, and Tow Command - installed the ball hitch in the bed, hooked up the trailer, and pulled away. It looks bigger than it drives (good thing), and it gets a lot of positive comments from the folks who own horses and trailers. Ford trucks rule in horse country.

Favorite Features

Powerful V-10 engine, Tow/haul mode of transmission, Sync, mirrors, and the quiet ride. If you don't put more than 12K miles/yr, this is the right engine for this workhorse of a truck.

Suggested Improvements

Put the rear view camera somewhere other than the tailgate - I can't use it to hook up the gooseneck! More power for the base engine - tried the 5.4L V-8 and found it was totally inadequate for a work vehicle like this.