Not So Super Duty
By notsosuperduty on
2008 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)
My F350 "Super Duty" Lariat OffRoad 4X4 with the 6.4L Powerstroke has been a bitter sweet experience. At 40K miles I was washing the undercarriage after driving in deep mud. After the wash (where I never lifted the hood) the truck would not start. Dealer said water got into the Trans Control Module, which is mounted under the truck. Not covered under warranty = $1200 bill. A week ago the steering gear locked up at 84k miles. No warranty = $1100 bill. Also last week the "check engine lite" cam on. Dealer says it was a bad EGT sensor. No warranty = $302 bill. Then today the brand new steering gear blew out and sprayed fluid all over the driveway. Not what I expected from a SUPER DUTY.
Favorite Features
The 6.4L Diesel tows my 40' toy hauler with ease though the fuel economy is pretty horrible even compared to Dodge and GM trucks pulling the same loads. The interior is very comfortable and of reasonably good quality materials
Suggested Improvements
A Super Duty 4x4 Off Road truck should not be incapacitated by a coin-op carwash nozzle getting water in an electronic module mounted UNDER THE truck. And for Ford to decline to cover it under warranty is ridiculous. I will not be buying another Ford truck.