Not Really Super Duty
By notsuperduty on
2008 Ford F-350 Super Duty XL 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)
First off I love my truck, it's a Job 1 CC 4x4 diesel . The fuel economy isn't stellar, but it weighs in at 9K lbs with tools, I can live with it. Use it mostly for highway trips, the ride is great. Around 54K miles I started doing a lot of city driving (building a new house) and noticed the brakes are dragging bad. Calipers are hanging up, dealer said dirt & mud caused it? Really? So what the Super all about? Got the dreaded coolant leak AGAIN! Dealer wants $1,400 to replace it with the same crap that failed twice before. Ford won't touch it either. Did I mention it LEAKS AGAIN! Come on Ford, Those brake and radiator issues are keeping you from EVER selling me another $55K vehicle!
Favorite Features
I like the twin turbo. It eliminates the turbo lag my 6.0L had (hated that lag!) It goes like Hell and will tow anything, but it just doesn't stop good! The body fit & finish is good and the paint is smooth. It doesn't sound or smell like a diesel and doesn't have turbo whine. (but does smell like LEAKY COOLANT!) The interior is nice. I'm not a big fan of the angular stuff but it works. I've developed a few nasty squeaks in the dash that are getting worse with age. The PTC heater is a great option for Michigan winters. The heated seats are good for that too. They are ON/OFF, not adjustable. The ride is good too. If the brakes aren't stuck on I even get decent highway mileage
Suggested Improvements
BRAKES! The truck never did stop good until the calipers got stuck. Now it stops better, but now the MPG SUCKS. RADIATOR! Do we really need that cheap POS part to be the weak link on a $55K truck? IT FAILS OVER AND OVER CHANGE THE DESIGN or something! I can live with a few issues if you'll stand behind your product. And really, brakes and cooling have been on trucks since the stone ages. If you are going to ruin your F-series reputation at least FAIL on something COMPLICATED! Ford, you just don't get it. I'll be buying trucks until I die, but NOT from a company that won't stand behind products! Don't take my word for it, Google "super duty radiator leak".