no need for diesel
By bailey on
2005 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab XL 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)
Definitely the biggest on my block, and the new 3V 5.4L V8 is all I really need. If you're not regularly towing 10K+ lbs on long trips, don't waste the $5K on the diesel, and stop waking up the neighbors. :) This new 5.4 makes more HP than the old 460, and almost as much torque but is 2 litres smaller. I get 14MPG around town despite the 315/70/17 (35") BFG all terrains I added. The 2.5" RevTek level kit ($215) gives it a perfect stance, and the tough exterior design is the best of the Big 3. I bought the XL because real trucks were meant to have rubber floors and basic options. Ford's chrome, carpet and leather don't really hold up over time especially if you use your truck like a truck.
Favorite Features
New and improved gas V8, 5 speed auto, 4 ABS disk brakes, huge comfy interior, tough exterior, front coil springs with solid axles, 4.10 limited slip rear, fully manual 4WD system, integrated trailer brakes, great visibility, tall stance, easy-to-clean vinyl floors & the basic bucket seats are perfect.
Suggested Improvements
Get rid of the V10, and give us a strong gas V8 with better gas mileage (duh). I like the 5.4, but I think the GM 6.0 does it better (though I wouldn't buy a Chevy). Interior is quiet, but drive-train is a little noisy. Add a smooth, dual exhaust for a better sound. Interior materials are cheap.